EL BRENDEL WANTED!!!

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

LouieD

EL BRENDEL WANTED!!!

PostFri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am

I am in search of VINTAGE El Brendel items. Photos, heralds, lobby cards, posters, articles, films, personal items, etc. Vintage items ONLY please. Either reply here or send me and email at [email protected] and let me know what you have.

And anyone who doesn't know who El is, here is a pic:

Harlett O'Dowd

Re: EL BRENDEL WANTED!!!

PostFri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 pm

LouieD wrote:I am in search of VINTAGE El Brendel items. Photos, heralds, lobby cards, posters, articles, films, personal items, etc. Vintage items ONLY please. Either reply here or send me and email at [email protected] and let me know what you have.

I'm terrified to ask, but ... why?

LouieD

PostFri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Um, why not?

I think everyone has some film person that they like that no one else likes and I just happen to like El.

What films have you seen him in that you didn't care for?

Harlett O'Dowd

PostFri Jun 27, 2008 2:57 pm

LouieD wrote:Um, why not?

I think everyone has some film person that they like that no one else likes and I just happen to like El.

What films have you seen him in that you didn't care for?

I've liked most of the films of his I've seen - as films (Wings and Just Imagine are favs) but most of the time (Sunny Side Up, If I Had My Way) he's annoyingly unfunny.

I must admit to have found him (well, his monkey) shockingly hillarious in Women of All Nations at last year's Cinecon.

BTW, if you like El, does that mean you like Yogi Yorgesson too?

LouieD

PostFri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 pm

I find him to be pretty funny when he had good material to start with. I think he was funny in "Meanest Gal In Town","Delicious" (which got tons of laughs in Columbus last year), and "The Cock-Eyed World". He also had some very funny shorts while he was at Columbia such as "Defective Detectives" and "The Blitz Kiss".

Are all his films great? Certainly not, but I personally like him and I think he has been dealt a bad hand by history and people who've only seen one or two of his films.

As for Yogi Yorgesson or even Harry Green, I could really care less.

If you would like to talk about this further, I will be at Slapsticon and Capitolfest (and plan on attending Cinefest and Cinevent next year) so just look me up and we can discuss.

SO, back to the original posting. I'm looking for El Brendel stuff!!!

silentfilm

PostWed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Louie,
There's a 16mm print of Phony Cronies (1942) with El Brendel listed at 16mmfilmtalk.com, but it is missing the opening and closing credits.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jul 30, 2008 4:30 pm

Meanest Gal in the World was a very pleasant surprise. I don't know that he was all that funny but it was a very solid character part and he and Pitts were well suited to each other. Quite a Cinevent, that won me over at least a little to both El Brendel and Wheeler & Woolsey.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Jim Reid

Columbia Brendel Short

PostWed Jul 30, 2008 5:39 pm

I have a 16mm print of one of the Columbia Brendel shorts I might part with. I will check it out when I get home from work and let you know what condition it is and what the title is.

Return to The Exchange