E-tailers for Classics

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

Cherry Malotte

E-tailers for Classics

PostWed Aug 06, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm been curious for awhile...are there any particular e-tailers people use to obtain films? I know that Grapevine has been mentioned more than once on the boards but there is one in particular I've found and I'd like to know if they are dependable -

http://www.vintagefilmbuff.com/

I've been browsing here several times but honestly was afraid to make a purchase, not knowing anyone's previous experience with them.

Thanks!
"Whaddya mean illiterate? My parents were married right here in city hall!"

rudyfan

PostWed Aug 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Well, I see several titles that have been released by legit companies. So, I, speaking for myself, am leary.

Many that are not already on DVD are still under copyright and not legal releases. Again, I am leary.

Others with more authority and knowledge than me can pipe in with their comments, I am sure.

James Bazen

PostWed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 pm

rudyfan wrote:Well, I see several titles that have been released by legit companies. So, I, speaking for myself, am leary.

Many that are not already on DVD are still under copyright and not legal releases. Again, I am leary.

Others with more authority and knowledge than me can pipe in with their comments, I am sure.

Actually, I bought two or three DVD's released by this company that were sold at the dealer table at Cinesation last year and the quality on these was actually pretty good of the ones I bought.

Rob Farr

PostThu Aug 07, 2008 2:32 pm

The page I wrote for Mugshots should give you a pretty good idea of what's out there: http://www.slapsticon.org/mugshots/videosources.htm
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

Damfino

e-tailer alert

PostFri Aug 08, 2008 12:25 pm

I haven't heard bad things about Vintage Film Buff. But whatever you do, avoid Ashfault's Classic Movies......you will never receive your order; I've seen a couple complaint threads about them.

Cherry Malotte

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for your responses!

Boy I've heard all about that Ashfault deal on various dvd message boards. Sounds like a scam artist.
"Whaddya mean illiterate? My parents were married right here in city hall!"

Sam Spade

Filmbuff

PostSat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 pm

I've bought from them before. Reliable company.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm

I started another thread about Vintage Film Buff...they have nice quality transfers, but as mentioned on the other thread, shipping and handling is a lot unless you buy $100 to get free shipping. At $20 each, their DVDs are a bit steep, but they do have sales often. They are fast with shipping orders.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Feb 22, 2009 8:56 am

I've dealt with Grapevine for years...they are one of very few dealers who offer unconditional money-back guarantees. That's probably why I still buy from them. Picture quality is vital, and some of their stuff is great quality, some not so great, depending on source material used.

Return to The Exchange