more rare silent films on DVD

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

yorkmba99

more rare silent films on DVD

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 2:18 am

Hi all,
For those who are interested in rare silent films, please check the new additions to our Silent Gems Collection on eBay.
"In Wrong" (1919) - Jack Pickford, Marguerite De La Motte, Comedy
"When Knighthood Was in Flower" (1922) - Marion Davies, historical drama
A friendly reminder that tomorrow Dec. 31 is the last day of the SPECIAL HOLIDAY PROMOTION (please see details on any listing).
You can see the whole collection here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/yorkmba99/m.htm ... 7675.l2562
Have a wonderful New Year!

drednm

Re: more rare silent films on DVD

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 6:31 am

What music do you use for these silent films?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Marr&Colton

PostMon Jan 04, 2016 5:21 am

I learned more about this seller---he has established a non-profit organization to bring to the public silent films from archives and also to make known the now more obscure silent actors. On Archive.org there is an interesting documentary about this project.

This is indeed a noble project, but despite requests for him to address our questions, he has yet to do so--other than to
post more ebay links. The price for these DVDs at $30 apiece is quite high compared to other sellers. If part of this fee is
a donation to further their work, that should be noted.

I wish this endeavor well--but for any work like this to succeed, everyone who is solicited should be convinced that their concerns are addressed.
Last edited by Marr&Colton on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobfells

PostMon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Several of these titles are available for free on Archives.org. They look pretty bad though. My guess is that these DVDs (or DVD-Rs) were downloaded from this site.

BenModel

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 2:05 pm

The only version of WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER ever available was on VHS from Videobrary, an 18fps transfer done in the 1990s with needle-drop music, which also turns up on DVD-R bootlegs. I'd imagine that's the version this seller has listed on eBay.
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

wingate

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 4:20 pm

There is only positive feedback for him on eBay.

missdupont

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Why should people pay for the same thing they can get on Archive.org for free?

drednm

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 5:15 am

BenModel wrote:The only version of WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER ever available was on VHS from Videobrary, an 18fps transfer done in the 1990s with needle-drop music, which also turns up on DVD-R bootlegs. I'd imagine that's the version this seller has listed on eBay.

You're correct about the source of Knighthood, Ben. And to my knowledge, the only print of For Better, for Worse outside of the Eastman archive is the one I issued in 2015. Of course there's also a copy of my Enchantment on Ebay. All they have to do is to delete the copyrighted music and plug in the generic track and they're good to go.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

silentfilm

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Just a reminder that Mr. Yorkmba99 (aka Alex), has stolen David Shepard's Griffith Biograph restorations and posted them on his Silent Hall of Fame website.

Marr&Colton

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 am

This brings up a seldom-discussed topic related to finding, collecting and selling movie memorabilia--HONESTY.

In this day and age of no moral standards for the majority of our society, I can see how these situations keep coming up.
Some in this field of endeavor believe the end justifies the means.

I have an elderly friend locally who has collected silent and early sound films for over 55 years---he tells me several well known individuals in this field over that time pulled the following stunts on him:

1. Borrowed and never returned films.
2. Borrowed rare IB Technicolor print and returned a faded Eastmancolor print of the same title.
3. Sold him rare titles, took the money and never shipped what was promised--only substandard substitutions.
4. Most common---charged large prices for "mint original" prints and delivered muddy dupe prints with no return allowed.

The mind boggles...............

boblipton

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 am

Given a forgiving nature and the fact that our expectations always seem to be higher than the reality, it's disheartening to recognize you've been dealing with a real cheat. I feel for your friend the collector, and I feel for the people he has refused to lend items to for fear of their loss.

Here's the Wikipedia article of a dealer in rare and antique maps who was stealing his stock from the New York Public Library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_Smiley

Far too many people have no problem making the leap from "I want that" to "I have a right to that." Some days it seems like most of our national politics seems to be about that confusion.

Please don't take that last paragraph as an invitation to complain about whatever issue of national politics offends you; we all know that Nitrateville is not the place to discuss such matters.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Rob Farr

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am

The fact that Mr. Yorkmba99 refuses to answer any questions pertaining to the quality, musical accompaniment or provenance of his offerings should tell you everything you need to know about his operation.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

yorkmba99

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 3:27 pm

I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner - I was not aware of the discussion on this topic.
About the music. All of the music that accompanies the films is in the public domain, as are the performances. Specifically, the classical music is from here:
https://musopen.org/music/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Within this site many music performances require attribution and/or and are not pd. The performances I use are only pd.
The ragtime is also in the public domain, as are the performances.
The films originate from private collectors and from pd sources. They are all in the public domain.
And to my knowledge, the only print of For Better, for Worse outside of the Eastman archive is the one I issued in 2015.
No, your knowledge is insufficient, I am not familiar with the one you issued, and NO, I did not steal For Better, for Worse from you. As a matter of fact, I believe that I offer the privilege of silent film lovers to see on DVD only films that cannot be seen otherwise.
I wish sometimes somebody who tries very hard to show some of the rarest silent films that are not available otherwise would get if not some thanks then at least the benefit of the doubt. Moreover, it appears that some of the commentators here enjoy delivering low blows. Silent Hall of Fame is on a mission and responding to denigrating comments is below my dignity.
I am not aware that any of the films in the Silent Gems Collection are on archive dot org.
Yes, the funds received from these DVDs will help sustain Silent Hall of Fame and support its mission.
I thank the commentator that mentioned positively the Silent Hall of Fame documentary. I don't have to say that the film is a masterpiece, its awards speak for themselves:
In March 2015 it won the distinction "Award of Merit" at the San Francisco Film Awards. In May 2015 it won the Silver Award at the 2015 International Independent Film Awards. In September 2015 it won the Award of Recognition at the Accolade Global Film Competition. Of equal merit is the inclusion of the documentary in the Official Selection of the 7th Annual San Jose International Short Film Festival in October 2015. At the very end of the year the documentary won the extremely prestigious Diamond Award at the 2015 California Film Awards.
I invite everybody to take another look at Silent Hall of Fame without prejudice and join our mission. We are restoring the names and legacy of formerly illustrious, but presently overlooked silent stars. Calling these stars 'obscure' denigrates their memories and legacy. Our multiple award-winning documentary is the first step towards giving these stars the respect and recognition that they deserve.
Attachments
California-Film-Awards-small.jpg
California-Film-Awards-small.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
Accolade-Global-Film-Competition-Award.jpg
Accolade-Global-Film-Competition-Award.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
International-Independent-Film-Awards.jpg
International-Independent-Film-Awards.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 5966 times

drednm

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 11:55 am

Things you need to list along with your high prices would be

1. what music these silents have attached to them