Lionel Barrymore silents: Copperhead, Body and Soul (1927)

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

texascubbie

Lionel Barrymore silents: Copperhead, Body and Soul (1927)

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello all-
I've tried poking around the Eastman site for The Copperhead, but have found no luck at all for it or Body and Soul. At one point, a few years back, it sounded like they had put The Copperhead up on Eastman, but nothing shows now. I've been pretty lucky finding a lot of other interesting films of LB, but these two, especially The Copperhead, I can't find and would really like to see!

Anyone have any clues for obtaining either? I understand LTC is hit or miss and besides, Copperhead should be public domain.

Thanks-
Sam/ texascubbie
Happiness often comes in through a door you didn't know you left open. --John Barrymore

drednm

Re: Lionel Barrymore silents: Copperhead, Body and Soul (192

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 am

Eastman uploaded a 67-minute version with a blue logo. The film was 7 reels, so not sure this is a complete version.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

texascubbie

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Ah, thanks. So far I have not been able to find the actual thing they uploaded. It seems on their website the archive may not be accessible? Or that far back? I'll keep trying, but if anyone has the old link and can post, I'd much appreciate it!

Sam
Happiness often comes in through a door you didn't know you left open. --John Barrymore

texascubbie

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:05 am

My thanks to this board and a Barrymore fan, Dave in Vancouver, for helping me acquire The Copperhead! Very glad I stumbled onto this board :)

Sam :D

texascubbie

Re: Lionel Barrymore silents: Body and Soul (1927)

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 3:29 pm

HI all again-
I've been awash in Lionel Barrymore lately (mostly work on Kildare/Gillespie for an article), and forgot to check back in and see if anyone had the 1927 Body and Soul with him. I can find the 1925 Micheaux one, but don't seem to be able to find the 1927 one. Apparently Eastman house has preserved it, but I can't tell if they have released it in the past for viewing. Does anybody happen to know?

So far, the most enjoyable find has been the "full" version of Mysterious Island--completely enjoyed the speaking part in the beginning! I look forward to the technicolor restoration and whatnot becoming available. Also enjoyable was The Switchtower (1913) and Strongheart (1914), where he steals some of the show as Billy Saunders, lovable piano-playing young fullback at Columbia. For once Lionel gets the girl (and plays piano)!

(I'd add an image, but the "board attachment quota has been reached)

Thanks, and happy viewing! We start our two weeks of partying/ Fiesta in San Antonio tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a little more down time to watch films, code for my article, and generally blow off work :lol:

Return to The Exchange