Longer German TV version of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1941)

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

cyberlarry7

Longer German TV version of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1941)

PostFri May 20, 2016 8:02 am

I have been searching for the 'longer' German TV version of the (1941) Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, starring Spencer Tracy.
This German TV version runs 127 minutes . . . the version on all the American DVDs is only 111 minutes.
If anyone has a DVD of it for sale, I would like to buy a copy.
Please contact me at [email protected]

BTW -- This German TV version seems to be the only full-length version of the original release of the film that anyone has seen in several years.... Oddly, this 'longer version' was shown on American television back in 1956... I saw it several times as a child and remembered the now-missing sequences. Evidently, it was re-edited and shortened.

There is a terrific comparison of these two versions - showing frame-grab photos of all the missing scenes - at
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=897474

Peter53

Re: Longer German TV version of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1941)

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this longer version. Hopefully it can still be found?

Henry Nicolella

Re: Longer German TV version of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1941)

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 9:51 am

It played on television in the UK many moons ago. A friend sent me a VHS copy which is somewhere stashed away in my closet of old tapes. The extra scenes definitely add to the film but are not likely to change anyone's mind about it. While the movie has many detractors, I've always liked it, perhaps in part because it was often on the late show in my younger days and was the first film version I saw of Stevenson's story.

Return to The Exchange