FREE Lot of 18 VHS Silents

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

DavidWelling

FREE Lot of 18 VHS Silents

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm looking for a warm, loving home for 18 VHS videotapes, mostly from Grapevine, all in great shape and mostly played once. A majority of them are silents, except for a couple that have silent actors in them. If you cover the shipping costs, they are yours for FREE. I'd rather see them go to someone who appreciates them than dump them. Here is the list:

Faust (1926) - Kino edition, Murnay
Romola - Lilian Gish, Timeless Video, okay print

GRAPEVINE:
Paths to Paradise (1925) - Betty Compson, Raymond Griffith, Tom Santschi
Bare Knees (1928) - Virginia Lee Corbin, Donald Keith, Forest Stanley
Eve's Leaves (1926) - Leatrice Joy, William Boyd and Robert Edeson
White Tiger (1923) - Priscilla Dean, Raymond Griffith, Wallace Beery,
Director: Tod Browning
The Torture of Silence (1917) - Emmy Lynn, Firmin Gémier and Armand Tallier,
Director: Abel Gance
The Spieler (1926) - Alan Hale, Renée Adorée, Clyde Cook, Fred Kohler
Ella Cinders (1926) - Colleen Moore, Lloyd Hughes and Vera Lewis
Venus of the South Seas (1924) - Annette Kellerman, Roland Purdie, Robert Ramsey
Klondike (1932, talkie) - Thelma Todd, Lyle Talbot, Priscilla Dean, and Henry B. Walthall
Law of the Sea (1931) - William Farnum, Priscilla Dean, Rex Bell
Piccadilly (1929) - Gilda Gray, Anna May Wong and Jameson Thomas,
Director: Ewald André Dupont
Maciste in Hell (1926) - Bartolomeo Pagano, Franz Sala
Director: Guido Brignone
The Perils of Pauline (1914, 9 chapters, 2 tape set) - Pearl White, Crane Wilbur, Paul Panzer
Little Old New York (1923) - Marion Davies, Stephen Carr, Harrison Ford
Hands Up! (1926) - Raymond Griffith, Virginia Lee Corbin, Marian Nixon, Mack Swain, Montagu Love,
Director: Clarence Badger

gcarterm

Re: FREE Lot of 18 VHS Silents

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello -- Well, we just got into silents a few months ago and have become fanatics. I found your post by Googling "The Torture of Silence 1917. What a surprise. This afternoon we watched Abel Gance's Napoleon. Egods, we were blown away. Thus, the current quest to see whatever of his films we can find. If you would like for me to have the set you described, I would consider it a treasure trove. The first thing I will do is put them on DVD's to further secure their preservation. Let me know the shipping cost.

Thank you,
Michael Carter

gcarterm

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 6:57 am

Mr. Welling,
A second note assuring you of my warm, loving home for your set of VHS tapes. Would love watching them. My friend and I continue our journey into silent film today with more Abel Gance -- "La Roue" and "J'Accuse" (the 1919 one). Sunday we expect to receive his 1938 version from Amazon. The more I read about this director, the more I'm convinced of his genius. He's up there with Welles and Eisenstein. What an adventure.

Michael Carter

DavidWelling

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Michael. It's nice to hear from you. So sorry, but the post on the VHS tapes was from a year ago. No one ever expressed an interest so I finally gave them to Goodwill. I'm pleased to see your interest in silence. A few of Gances films are still available. Torture of silence is available through Grapevine. Flicker Alley has an amazing edition of La Rue. Again, sorry about the videos.

gcarterm

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 pm

David --
Thank you for the reply. That's pretty amazing, that no one took you up on the tape offer. I chalk it up to laziness, the need for convenience (little of that with the necessity of getting a VCR or hooking the old one up again), and to the malaise that has settled on the population spawned by its mindless admiration of newer technology. Oh, and the frenzy over resoluion with 4K, HDD, Ultra-whatever, that puts the window frame above the content of what you're seeing through the window. I find it strange that such an attitude exists on a site that obviously caters to people's respect for the great achievements in films of the past.

An ongoing project of mine, in that vein, is locating tapes of the early 1950's series "Tales of Tomorrow." Half of those kinescoped programs are available on DVD's, promoted as the complete set, while half were not transferred and only exist on VHS tapes sitting in various basements and attics. My family watched these when I was a child, Friday nights I think. It was the mother of all TV sci-fi that followed. Great stuff. Great actors early in their careers like Rod Steiger, Paul Newman, Leslie Neilsen, and even James Dean. Funny, but I've yet to talk with anyone in my age group who remembers the program. It's like dropping Jamestown from early U.S. history. At any rate, I'd started a book about the series but am in limbo until/unless I can locate a good share of those missing episodes.

Abel Gance. Yes, I've found several sources for his films. So far I've seen a 1982 tape of "Napoleon" and found it a stupendous achievement. Next I caught the 1919 "J'Accuse," a really good film. Having seen that, I ordered the '38 version, a movie which can be seen from two perspectives. Positioned immediately before the start of WWII, the portentious warning of the horror which would follow shortly has amazed those who set the film in the context of that history. Seen objectively, a film free of message and bias, it stands out as a study in bad movie-making. It is a mess. I'm not sure if the editor was tarred and feathered, but that would have been appropriate. As a follow up, I will watch "The End of the World," universally regarded as bad, but reading about what was done to it by Hollywood I will hold no ill will toward Gance. Ahhhh, but to revitalize my opinion of his genius, a set of "Napoleon" DVD's with commentary and a score by Carl Davis is on its way along with a "La Roue" set with accompanying booklet. Things are looking up :) . Thanks for the tip about Grapevine having "Torture of Silence."

Mike Carter

wich2

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am

Mike-

>the frenzy over resoluion with 4K, HDD, Ultra-whatever, that puts the window frame above the content of what you're seeing through the window. I find it strange that such an attitude exists on a site that obviously caters to people's respect for the great achievements in films of the past.<

Yes, balance is needed, and frenzy is silly - but it is precisely that love and respect you cite, that leads some to want to REALLY see and hear the hard work of these artists accurately.

>An ongoing project of mine, in that vein, is locating tapes of the early 1950's series "Tales of Tomorrow."<

Don't neglect the radio series:

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/s ... f-tomorrow

-Craig

gcarterm

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Craig, thanks for the reply. Yeah, content has become secondary to format. I'm thinking of sites that advertise "free music" . . . good gawd, anything that can be funneled through ear buds from a phone is good. The window is wide open and look: it's driveling outside. :)

I have listened to none of the radio shows due to focusing on the kinescopes. I should give these a listen. Will do.

MIke Carter

Return to The Exchange