Musicals of the thirties

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

wingate

Musicals of the thirties

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 12:22 pm

I am having a problem with the transfer of my vhs tapes to DVD.Unfortunately my existing combo vhs won't work,nor does the one on my new one.I have a large number of these on vhs and if I can't put them on DVD I am stuck.so is there anyone out there interested in trading for these titles.

Nick_M

Re: Musicals of the thirties

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 1:26 pm

If you plug your VHS player in to your computer, you can make DVDs that way.

Paul Penna

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 1:44 pm

wingate wrote:I am having a problem with the transfer of my vhs tapes to DVD.Unfortunately my existing combo vhs won't work,nor does the one on my new one.I have a large number of these on vhs and if I can't put them on DVD I am stuck.so is there anyone out there interested in trading for these titles.

If these are commercial tapes rather than ones you taped off TV, you're probably running afoul of the copyguard protection on the tapes. My Panasonic DVD recorder with built-in VHS won't burn commercial copyguarded tapes to DVD.

wingate

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Do I need any special software?

Marr&Colton

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 4:33 pm

What I do is use a separate Sony VHS machine plugged into my Magnavox set top DVD recorder and first transfer them to the hard drive, then edit out everything but the main movie. Depending on the vintage of your VHS and DVD recorder, the few old VHS tapes that had copy-guard may or may not go through.

If the VHS title is now available on DVD, why transfer a low-resolution tape down another generation to make a DVD?
The clarity of 1970s to early 90s VHS tapes was just barely adequate for a small screen TV, much less than today's displays and projectors. I always check my local library system website for a statewide search of DVDs I'm looking for.

To transfer to a computer, you need a video card installed that will accept the video and audio RCA plugs and a software program that will convert that analog signal to a digital computer file. Not sure exactly what programs do that.

Return to The Exchange