Herb Graff - Silent Comedy Film Festival Special

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

AndyP618

Herb Graff - Silent Comedy Film Festival Special

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 4:27 am

This could be a longshot, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I'm working on a biography of Betty Comden and Adolph Green. In the course of researching, I've come across listings for a 1973 special that he appeared on with Herb Graff in which they discuss the movies of Charlie Chaplin. Since the silents figure prominently in their work, I'm curious to hear what Green might have said on the program.

I know 1973 is way before VCRs, so the chances of this having been captured privately are slim to none. My online searches have proven fruitless, so I turn to devotees of the form....

Thank you so much for any help!

Best,
Andy Propst

silentfilm

Re: Herb Graff - Silent Comedy Film Festival Special

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 11:16 am

Do you know the name of the program? Which network/channel broadcast it? On what date(s)?

Your best bet is to join the AMIA listserv, and broadcast your query to the archivists there.

AndyP618

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Bruce,

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems to have been originally broadcast around Christmas in 1972 and then rebroadcast during July 1973. It originated on WNET and was seen on 'all 26 stations in the Eastern Educational Network." (per Boxoffice July 2, 1973.)

I have listings for the rebroadcast of the Adolph Green episode for August 26 in Washington, DC on channel 26 (WETA) and for Sept. 1, 1973 in NY on channel 13.

I'll post to the listserv you mention and also see if WNET might be able to provide any information. I'd missed that Boxoffice report when I'd posted originally.

Again, thanks and best,
Andy

FilmGauge

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm

The name of Herb's series was THE SILENT COMEDY FILM FESTIVAL, and it indeed did air on WNET in New York and on WEDH (now known as "CPTV") in Connecticut.

Richard Finegan

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 7:51 am

FilmGauge wrote:The name of Herb's series was THE SILENT COMEDY FILM FESTIVAL, and it indeed did air on WNET in New York and on WEDH (now known as "CPTV") in Connecticut.

The series aired in other markets - I recall seeing it on PBS stations in Boston (Ch. 44) and Providence, RI (Ch. 36) and Ch 11 in New Hampshire between 1973 and 1974.
I kept a listing of all the titles shown, with casts and credits, and even audio taped some of the music played during the silent films. Sorry I did not record the guest hosts.

I got to meet and chat with Herb Graf several times years later, and always made a point to mention that series, and how much I enjoyed it. He told me a few times that unfortunately, the original tapes of the shows were all erased many years ago. As far as he knew, no copies exist.

AndyP618

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 8:00 am

Richard,

Thanks a million for the reply and the insight into what happened with the series. I'll keep snooping and if I come up with anything, everyone on here can be sure that I will share the news.

All the best,
Andy

p.s. The collegiality and helpfulness this group has shown in just a few short days has been quite wonderful and so a thank you just in general for existing...

BenModel

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 9:57 am

Does anyone have approximate air dates for the run of the infamous Herb Graff show? Just curious.

Thanks.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

milefilms

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am

WNET does have an archivist and you can also check the Paley Center for Media in NYC.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Richard Finegan

Re: Herb Graff - Silent Comedy Film Festival

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 3:57 am

This is the listing I made of all the films shown on the PBS series "Silent Comedy Film Festival", presented by Herb Graff, as seen on PBS stations Channel 44 in Boston and Channel 11 in New Hampshire, April through June 1974:
1. "Buster Keaton":
The Ballonatic, One Week.
2. "Mack Sennett":
The Pride of Pikeville, The Noise of Bombs, Taxi Spooks.
3. "Charley Chase":
Mighty Like a Moose, Hello Baby, The Ten Minute Egg.
4. "Children's Films and Films for Children":
The Big Show (Our Gang), Mickey the Detective (Mickey McGuire), Whispering Whiskers (Sennett).
5. "Independent Filmmakers":
Oh Buster (Buster Brown), Big Moments From Little Pictures (Will Rogers), What's the World Coming To! (Roach).
6. "Hal Roach":
The Noon Whistle, Sold At Auction, Monkey Business (Our Gang), North of 50-50 (Dippy Doo-Dads).
7. "Harry Langdon":
Saturday Afternoon, All Night Long, Feet of Mud.
8. "Lloyd Hamilton and Company":
Move Along, Crushed, Hooked, The Cameraman (Billy Franey).
9. "Charlie Chaplin, Part 1":
By the Sea, Easy Street, The Immigrant.
10. "Charlie Chaplin, Part 2":
Caught In the Rain, The Cure, The Adventurer.
Last edited by Richard Finegan on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenModel

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 am

Rich, thanks for posting this info. I have a vivid memory of seeing these during a winter-break from school (who needs to go sledding when you can see Charley Chase silents on TV?) on channel 13. I have the Arther Kleiner LPs that were needle-dropped for music on these, as I'm sure do several people on this forum.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Return to The Exchange