10th Annual Watch That Movie Night is January 26!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Daveismyhero

Re: 10th Annual Watch That Movie Night is January 26!

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am

I'm definitely going to participate, although I haven't nailed down a specific film yet. At this point I'm leaning towards one of the following:
Wings
The Dawn Patrol
The Long, Hot Summer

So it will probably be one of those, unless TCM drops something interesting before then, or I dig up another gem off the ol' DVR.
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

I wasn't going to put my winning streak on the line here, but the gigantic Ford/Murnau at Fox set just arrived on my desk with a tremendous BOOM!!! (it is BIG!!!), so what the hell... I'll watch 7th Heaven with my wife.

The rest of you might as well give up hopes of winning right now.

Jim

rudyfan

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Jim Roots wrote:I wasn't going to put my winning streak on the line here, but the gigantic Ford/Murnau at Fox set just arrived on my desk with a tremendous BOOM!!! (it is BIG!!!), so what the hell... I'll watch 7th Heaven with my wife.

The rest of you might as well give up hopes of winning right now.

Jim

I am very envious of the Ford/Murnau box! It's perpetually on my wish list. Just so spendy!

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm

rudyfan wrote:I am very envious of the Ford/Murnau box! It's perpetually on my wish list. Just so spendy!

It's available for $50 plus whatever the shipping and tax are:

https://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/ ... sbooks.com" target="_blank

Also, you can "sign up" to their site and take 10% off your order.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

mwalls

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I’d like to play, again. A while ago I bought Stella Dallas so that I could watch the silent version. That will be my choice.

Matthew

Jim Roots

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 am

Rick Lanham wrote:
rudyfan wrote:I am very envious of the Ford/Murnau box! It's perpetually on my wish list. Just so spendy!

It's available for $50 plus whatever the shipping and tax are:

https://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/ ... sbooks.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Also, you can "sign up" to their site and take 10% off your order.

Rick

Yes, that is where I got it. Someone -- maybe you, Rick -- posted the alert about the sale price in the Official Deals link, and I ordered it immediately. They contacted me and said it would cost another $50 to ship it to Canada. The total cost still comes to half the retail price, so I went ahead and got it.

(Good packaging, too: the set box is inside another sturdy box, which is inside an even sturdier box, and buffeted with braces so it doesn't get jolted in the shipping.)

Jim

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Yes, that is where I got it. Someone -- maybe you, Rick -- posted the alert about the sale price in the Official Deals link, and I ordered it immediately. They contacted me and said it would cost another $50 to ship it to Canada. The total cost still comes to half the retail price, so I went ahead and got it.

(Good packaging, too: the set box is inside another sturdy box, which is inside an even sturdier box, and buffeted with braces so it doesn't get jolted in the shipping.)

Jim

I don't remember posting it before, maybe I did; but I saw it recently on SilentComedyMafia.
Great info about how it was shipped, and how much it cost. Ouch!

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm

For at least 6 years I've had a copy of The Fallen Idol recorded from TCM, but didn't watch it. I've seen snippets of the film, and was interested enough to have recently purchased the StudioCanal/BFI blu-ray from overseas. I will be watching that.

Rick Lanham

CoffeeDan

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:37 pm

I was recently going through an album of classic movie DVDs that I've picked up from friends, correspondents, and film festivals (mostly Cinevent) over the years, and found a Lee Tracy movie I haven't watched yet!

So I'll tell Nitrateville that I'll be watching I'LL TELL THE WORLD (1934) on or near January 26 . . .
Last edited by CoffeeDan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotSoSilent

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am

NotSoSilent wrote:I'm going to watch the Lloyd Hamilton Kickstarter DVD.

I had such a fun time watching the Lloyd Hamilton DVD. Before receiving this set I had only a few Lloyd Hamilton films in my DVD collection, usually found in compilation sets like The Forgotten Films of Roscoe Arbuckle and Accidentally Preserved. Those samplings were more than enough to whet my appetite so I jumped at the chance to back the Kickstarter campaign.

Lloyd Hamilton (Ham) is one of those comedians that doesn’t get much attention, at least outside of silent film enthusiasts. Even within that group there doesn’t seem to be a lot of discussion about him (that I am aware of anyway). In fact, after backing the Kickstarter campaign I referenced my silent film library for further research on him and was shocked how little there was to read. To me, that is unfortunate. I find him appealing, but more importantly, FUNNY. Buster Keaton, one of the geniuses of silent comedy, and one who gets his fair share of attention, said Lloyd Hamilton was one of the funniest men in silent pictures. That endorsement should be more than enough to raise this guy’s stock.

The films on the DVD set include His Musical Sneeze (1919), Dynamite (1920), The Simp (1920), April Food (1920), Moonshine (1920), and A Home Made Man (1928). Moonshine was my personal favorite so I thought I would give that one a quick review.

The film was directed by Charles Parrott (Charley Chase), who can also be spotted a time or two early in the film. Taking place in “Peaceful Valley” the film opens with a gun battle between the Moonshiners and the Revenue Men. During the fight a woman goes into labor. In one of the most memorable scenes, a doctor and nurse try to beat out a stork to deliver the baby. It was one of the many times I laughed out loud! The rest of the story plays out 20 years later with Ham all grown up, living with his parents, in the family business of making moonshine, and in love with the pretty girl. Of course there is a rival who competes for the girl's love and attention. This is where it gets into pretty standard silent comedy fare. Even at that, it’s still very enjoyable. In another laugh-out-loud scene Ham is delivering shine and gets fish, a horse, and a cat drunk in the process. Personally I would put the visual gags in his films on par with the best; they’re just hilarious. The rest of the film involves the rival alerting the law about the moonshine operation and Ham trying to evade capture.

Between his funny walk, childlike expressions, and inability to properly handle simple tasks, Ham was in many ways a blend of Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, and Langdon. Maybe that is why he gets very little individual attention. In my opinion, as a fan of silent comedy, it seems too much attention is put on “geniuses” and “masterpieces.” There are times I just want to laugh and enjoy a film, and Ham & Co. (Chase, Bevin, Turpin, et al.) fit the bill perfectly.

This is a well designed and produced DVD. The films appear to run at the proper speed and the scores are great. I’m not sure if it will be available on the retail market but grab one if you get a chance!

John Shetler

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

New member here. I'm excited to get involved!

Children Of Divorce has been on my Amazon watch list for months. Finally an incentive to watch it!

Jim Roots

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 am

Watched 7th Heaven last night because I got my dates confused -- I thought it was this week(end) that we were supposed to have the event. That's fine, though, because my wife has already asked to watch Sunrise next week, having been impressed by 7th. So a slight change in plans there.

7th Heaven is a marvellous film. It moves well for a silent melodrama, although today's audience will probably find it slow. The art work is lovely; there's no attempt to pretend this is the real Paris of 1914, the backdrops are brazenly fake, the streets are over-cobblestoned (the real streets of Paris have trees) and are quite empty of people, let alone vehicles of any sort ... So what? It's all done so magnificently that you accept it all.

Janet Gaynor is really impressive. Hers is one of the very best performances I've ever seen, whether in silents or talkies. Charles Farrell's performance is commonly criticized as dated and over-the-top; I felt he was just right as a florid egotist who prides himself on being "a very remarkable fellow!" (Exclamation mark included in his announcement.) The battle scenes are also well done, although I had to smile at the pristine cleanliness of the soldiers' uniforms as they waited in the trenches to go over the top.

The finale is a bit of a giggle because everything happens at the same time and in the same place. Gaynor gets word Farrell has died, the neighbouring soldier just happens to arrive home to confirm it, the priest just happens to pop in to re-confirm it, the old friend blows in too, the armistice is announced, and Farrell staggers home alive, all within about five minutes of each other. That's a hell of a lot of coincidences!

A very good film, and very enjoyable.

Jim

Mitch Farish

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 pm

I was intrigued by the clips from A Girl's Folly on the old Image disc about movie-making in Fort Lee New Jersey, so I bought the Grapevine disc. I'll be watching that one. I like Maurice Tourneur and I have a thing for Doris Kenyon.

silentfilm

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Possessed (1947) is a film-noir psychological thriller directed by Curtis Bernhard and released on BluRay by the Warner Archive. It stars Joan Crawford as an insecure woman who may or may not be losing her mind.

The film has quite a shocking beginning as we see Crawford wandering around Los Angeles at night looking for someone named "David". Crawford is not wearing any makeup and her character is obviously disoriented. After she is picked up and taken to a mental institution, she begins to open up to several psychiatrists and almost the entire film is told in flashback. She is a nurse, who works for rich oilman Raymond Massey to take care of his wife. The wife apparently has dementia or mental issues, which makes Crawford's job very stressful. Crawford's character is hopelessly in love with "David", played by Van Heflin. Heflin is a complete cad, jerk, and even referred to as the "homme" fatale in the featurette on the disc. Crawford desperately tries to hold on to him, but he leaves her. Massey's wife is found dead, and there is a police investigation. Was she murdered? Did she commit suicide?

Crawford's life gets really complicated months later when Massey asks to marry her, as she has been caring for the children. David comes back into her life, but only as an employee of Massey. And then Massey's daughter Geraldine Brooks falls in love with David. Crawford starts having dreams and hallucinations about her new family and "David". We start to question what is real and what was imagined, as she slowly loses her mind.

Crawford was nominated for an Oscar for this role, but she had just won the previous year for Mildred Pierce (1946). This film features great cinematography by Joseph Valentine, and very imaginative direction by Curtis Bernhardt. (Do not watch the featurette before the film, it gives away some shocking plot points.)

Javier

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Being a long time since I have seen this film. My choice is Gertrud by Carl Theodore Dreyer.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Brock Davis

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm

The family and I will be watching Steamboat Bill Jr. At the Long Center in Lafayette, IN with Ken Double at the Wurlitzer. But I have seen that many times, so the next day I'll watch Wild Oranges with Frank Mayo.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 am

Okay, I count 30 so far (including myself... which I did just to get it to 30 :) )

That's great! Could be the record, I forget, or close to it.

But there's still time for more! Make your pledge this week and when you post about your movie by this weekend, you'll be entered to win a copy of The Covered Wagon.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

DavidWelling

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Ohhh, so many choices. I'm narrowing it down to two options that I just got in. Either the new Lloyd Hamilton Kickstarter collection -- or the Filmmuseum edition of The Joyless Street. How is that for contrast?

tthacker

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 am

I think I will watch Ivan Mosjoukine's Kean. I've only watched one film from the Albatross set, so this is a good time to try another.

T0m M

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 12:09 pm

I believe the only silent films in my collection that I haven't watched are the Artcraft films of Douglas Fairbanks in The Modern Musketeer boxset. So, I'll likely watch Wild and Woolly.

Kerr Lockhart

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

I guess it's time to watch the new Kino Lorber release of THE LAST LAUGH I got for Christmas. I don't think I've seen the film in 40 years, back in college days!

mwalls

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 pm

I watched the 1925 version of Stella Dallas tonight. I never like to know anything about a movie before watching, so I will be general. I had seen the talkie Barbara Stanwyck version of Stella Dallasbefore, and frankly did not care much for the movie. But I read somewhere, likely on Nitrateville, that on the DVD release the 1925 silent version was included as an extra and that it was better than the Stanwyck version. As much as I adore Barbara Stanwyck movies, I have to agree that the silent version is better. I very much liked the movie this time. One note though about the movie is that it is mute. I suppose being an extra on the disk that WB did not want to spend money on a score. Mute though it was, it was very enjoyable.

Matthew

Brooksie

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

It baffles me that WB have gone to as little effort as possible on the silent Stella Dallas. It's a very fine film for which excellent elements exist. At a minimum, a large proportion of the audience that acclaimed it at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival a few years back would have rushed out to buy a copy if they had the option. I knew it had been fobbed off as an extra to the sound version, but I didn't know they hadn't even bothered to score it. Unbelievable! I'm glad you enjoyed it despite all of that.

cuzzoni

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 pm

I plan to watch the first 3 or 4 Charley Chase shorts from 1930 - that I just got on DVD. Can't beat Charley Chase and Thelma Todd.

Craig

Agnes

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Merry-Go-Round - 1923

I had a hard time deciding which movie I was going to watch. It doesn't appear to still be a rule, but it used to be that you had to watch something that you had for over a year. Well and looking for something I had that long I found this movie and I was amazed that I hadn't watched it. I have wanted this movie and when I finally got I put it in the Shelf and somehow forgot about it. I went looking and found it still with the shrink wrap on it.

Yes a DVD by Image, still with the shrink wrap on it. I always meant to watch it but never got to it. So now I am going to sit and watch this movie. This is the famous movie that Von Stroheim got kicked off part way through so it'll be neat to see if I can tell where the directing style changes.

So that's what I'll be doing and I'll have my review in by Monday.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 pm

I count 36 or something like that-- probably the record! Tomorrow's the night, the weekend counts too, excited to see what everyone says.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Free to Love (1925) kicks off with a memorably clunky intertitle ("I have no time for psalm singing - I've something else to settle!") and continues in similar fashion. Orphaned 'slum angel' Marie Anthony (Clara Bow) confronts the wealthy judge (Winter Hall) who has sent her to the reformatory under false pretenses. As atonement, he offers to adopt her as his ward, as one does.

Skip forward, and Bow, now a carefree a society girl, befriends a handsome young vicar (Donald Keith) and begins to work at his home for the destitute. A rather perfunctory love triangle ensues between Keith, Bow, and a sinister rival, Garner (Hallam Cooley), who is determined to darken Clara's reputation by exposing her shameful past. After an incident at a nearby den of iniquity, it looks like Clara will sacrifice her freedom for the good of her lover. Does she? Well, take a guess.

One of B.P. Schulberg's pre-Paramount quickies, it has the unmistakable look of a low-budget production attempting to 'put the money on the screen', as the saying goes. The action moves at such a fair clip that you suspect a cutdown, but thriftiness is more likely the culprit (Bow biographer Daniel Stenn claims it was shot in a fortnight, rather than Schulberg's standard three weeks). Despite this, there are some moments of visual innovation. Keith is handsome but unmemorable as the hero, while Raymond McKee (over)plays a Lon Chaney-style underworld grotesque.

It would all be entirely unremarkable except for Bow, who is given little to do but bat her eyes dolefully, but still manages to ooze raw talent from every pore. The film survives only in a 16mm reduction, so the picture quality on this Grapevine release is soft. A needle-drop score does the job adequately.

One for Bow completists only.
Last edited by Brooksie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtc

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Okay, I'm in.

I have been on an unofficial submarine-movie jag for a while and have been working up to the uncut version of Das Boot since before I went on the jag. I saw the original, edited version when it was first released in this country and have had the uncut version on DVD for close to 10 years, I would think.

I finished K19: The Widowmaker last night but only after having broken it down over three nights. I am hoping to approach Das Boot in one continuous, claustrophobic sitting.

Good luck to everyone in the drawing!

Tim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Too bad you're not where Ben Model is playing for Capra's Submarine tonight!

Donald Binks

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 pm

To my mind Pola Negri was very much like Theda Bara or Gloria Swanson, in that she was another of the exotic, vamp type creatures who, in pictures, dressed up to the nines, plastered in make-up. She apparently had "a reputation" as well. I haven't seen too many of her pictures and that is why I chose "A Woman of the World" (1925) to have a gawk at. My first impression of her from this picture is that she was all of the above and with the make-up and her hair lacquered close to her head - she looked for all intents and purposes like one of those Russian dolls. I was also imagining her thick accent when the title cards came up. How she would have intoned lines such as "Be Schtronk, be cows I laugh yo!"

I didn't know what to expect when the picture started. I thought I was in for a lavish, sophisticated romance set in the French Riviera - but all of these illusions were soon swept aside as Ms. Negri - as a Countess, no less, sets foot in Maple Falls, a hick town somewhere in the Mid-West. She is there to recover from a failed romance. (She was in love with a two-timer and her love was so great she even had a tattoo put on her arm to signify that love.) She is staying with Chester Conklin who is a relative - only through marriage of course - and his wife, Lucille Ward.

The small town is displayed as being a typical small town, with small town values. Gossip is rife and seems to eminate from two old biddies who sit on the verandas of their houses in rocking chairs from time to time, letting us know what is going on. (Dot Farley and May Foster). The local District Attorney (Holmes Herbert) has set himself up as a morals crusader but proves himself to be a bit of a hypocrit when he falls for the allure of Pola and her oozing sensuality.

The Countess has naturally caused quite a sensation and everyone in town is falling over themselves to get to wring her wrist and say "Howdy" and there is also a second-string Romeo to pad the story out - Charles Emmett Mack, a young man who has been swept off his feet.

The tattoo is a bit of a scandal too and one would wonder why as I am sure that in most of these small places there would have been more tatts than teeth? Anyway, everything leads to the inevitable in that it all ends up being all too much for everyone to cope with and the Countess is to be run out of town - or is she? Will the love between Pola and Holmes conquer all?

This picture could not make up its mind as to whether it wanted to be a romantic drama or a comedy. It tries for both and because of the indecision, doesn't quite pull it off. It's not a remarkable film either, just an ordinary, everyday pedestrian film churned out to keep the programmes going.

Chester Conklin's character make-up looks a bit out of place. It's as if he had stepped straight out of a "Keystone Cops" picture - and Ms. Negri is quite over the top - but I suppose she had an excuse in the role she was playing. Lucille Ward on the other hand downplays somewhat and gives credence to what she is on about. Holmes Herbert doesn't manage to convince an audience that Ms. Negri would have seen anything in him. An interesting picture, one that is a bit entertaining at the time of watching it, but one that is not memorable.

I have a feeling that the accompaniment was by way of a series of gramophone records but it was adroitly done and managed to pick up on the cues as needed.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Silents