Sunrise Silents

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

boblipton

Sunrise Silents

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Anyone dealt with them? They have some itneresting looking dvds.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

silentscreen

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm

I bought a couple of films from them. They don't have the money for the very best source material, so the quality is only so-so. Better than Grapevine, but I wouldn't invest a lot of money in their product.
"Relax, Georgie, I'm just making my collar and cuffs match." Carole Lombard

Marr&Colton

PostMon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 pm

You know that seems to be the story with a lot of these outfits--beautiful box art but poor picture quality.

TIP--before buying silents on DVD, check the quality assessments on:

http://www.silentera.com/DVD/index.html

These people have checked SO many versions of available films and nail it when they review transfer quality! Always a MUST check before buying a title.

silentscreen

PostMon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:You know that seems to be the story with a lot of these outfits--beautiful box art but poor picture quality.

TIP--before buying silents on DVD, check the quality assessments on:

http://www.silentera.com/DVD/index.html

These people have checked SO many versions of available films and nail it when they review transfer quality! Always a MUST check before buying a title.

You are so right! Here's a review of one of the films I bought from them which was better than the first one I purchased, which was a real disappointment.

http://www.silentera.com/DVD/eyesofJuliaDeepDVD.html
"Relax, Georgie, I'm just making my collar and cuffs match." Carole Lombard

deverett

PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

While I definately appreciate there efforts and think in terms of dealing with business-wise they are top notch I wish they would not add artificial tint colors to everything simply based on a desire to make it look better or cover up the quality of the source material. In my eyes that is no different than colorizing It's a wonderful life. If you do not have documentation stating that the film was originally released with those colored sections please do not take it upon yourself to add colors arbitrarily.

Marr&Colton

PostWed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 am

A--Men!!! Nothing is worse than some distributor adding tints to a film. Now if the original pre-print had tints, that's a horse of a different color.

I've owned original 35mm tinted prints--did you know that each tinted scene was spliced in as the tint changed? And this was for a release print...must have been a lot of splicing done in labs back then....

I am to the point of screening some of these after-the-fact tinted DVD transfers with the color control almost to "off"

gwenlorraine

PostWed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 am

I have purchased silent periodicals on CD-ROM from Sunrise Silents and have been pretty satisfied with the product. Has all the usual disadvantages of a digital book but the scan is well done and its nice to have a copy of rare magazines.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I pretty much depend on public domain vendors for viewing rarer films. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to be choosy. Of course, I also check out the Silent Era DVD reviews to compare DVD editions if more than one version is available. But if it's the only way to get a movie, I generally am of a "half a loaf is better than none" mindset. :)

However, I also think that added tints can be fairly horrible. Especially when added to an already faded print. I have seen re-tinted films so bright and intense that they make the action hard to see.
Gwen Lorraine
Galloping Tintypes: A Joyous Celebration of Silent Film
www.galloping-tintypes.com

Return to The Exchange