CALL FOR COMMENTS--EBAY DVD LISTING REMOVAL

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

Marr&Colton

CALL FOR COMMENTS--EBAY DVD LISTING REMOVAL

PostSat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 am

I would like to hear from Nitrateville members about a serious topic---listing removals by eBay over supposed "copyright violations"

Several months ago I purchased several DVDs from vintagefilmbuff.com.
Recently, after observing I had way too many discs in my collection, I decided to list many on eBay.

Two of my listings: Young Bing Crosby Collection and Preview Murder Mystery were promptly removed by eBay citing copyright violations.
These were two of the vintagefilmbuff.com titles I legally bought and decided to sell. They were not copied or altered in any way. Obviously, it was reported by vintagefilmbuff (emoviesz seller id) since they don't want competition. It seems eBay allows reselling of mainstream products, but accepts without question groundless complaints from their own sellers.

It's interesting, vintagefilmbuff.com has no copyright notices on any of their materials--and most of their releases are obscure titles not necessarily in the public domain.

boblipton

PostSat Mar 14, 2009 6:05 am

The reselling of honestly gotten goods is a normal right. However, it appears that the bureaucracy of Ebay make this too complicated. Try offering them here.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Marr&Colton

PostSun Mar 15, 2009 11:31 am

Bob,

That is an excellent idea! I'll start another thread to offer them (at a big discount)

Jay Salsberg

PostTue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 am

THE PREVIEW MURDER MYSTERY has never been released on VHS or DVD, so any tapes or disks are unauthorized, illegal copies. Your copy of the film may be an honestly gotten good, but this dvd itself is a copyright violation.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 am

No, you can't offer copyright violating material, even secondhand, here.

Since this has come up in some form twice in the past week, and has confused even the moderators let alone everybody else, we're going to try to do a better job of defining what you can and can't do here.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

PostTue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Can I rollerskate in a buffalo herd?

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

rudyfan

PostTue Mar 17, 2009 1:13 pm

boblipton wrote:Can I rollerskate in a buffalo herd?

Bob

Only if you can avoid the buffalo guano.

Marr&Colton

PostWed Mar 18, 2009 5:31 am

I find it rather ironic that Vintagefilmbuff.com had my eBay listing removed when they themselves sell unauthorized titles.....check out their website and while I agree they have a great selection, wonder how they get away with it.

I'll remove my listings from the Exchange section here.

FrankFay

PostWed Mar 18, 2009 7:13 am

I might be mistaken here, but how do you know that vintagemoviebuff had your ebay listings pulled? When Ebay pulls a listing they do not tell you who complained.
Eric Stott

Marr&Colton

PostFri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 am

Let's just say it's an educated guess--I was selling the same product a major eBay seller has but at a lower price. There was no indication in the listing it wasn't an authentic product. Emoviez is the seller name for vintagefilmbuff.com and owns the trademark--they either thought someone was dubbing their product or just trying to resell something bought from them--either way it cut into their profit.

The same thing happened a few years ago--I tried reselling a 3-D trailer DVD that a unique seller originally sold me, and it got pulled. Back then they let me relist if I changed the description and picture.

TikiSoo

PostSat Apr 04, 2009 7:11 am

Ebay is a squirrelly site....they'll end your auctions if you get ANY complaint, and won't bother validating, they're just paranoid.
I understand a better place to sell books/music/DVDs is ebay's non collectible site, Half.com.
But since they've forced everyone to use PayPal (reminds me of "papal") I've said goodbye to their shananigans.

Keith Paynter

PostMon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 pm

boblipton wrote:Can I rollerskate in a buffalo herd?

Bob

No, but you can be happy if you put your mind to it.

Neither can you:

- change your film with your kid on your back
- take a shower in a parakeet cage
- drive around with a tiger in your car

:D
No, YOU'RE The Phantom!

Return to The Exchange