Max Steiner and EACH DAWN I DIE

Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Max Steiner and EACH DAWN I DIE

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Here's a curious thing that has always puzzled me.....

Max Steiner wrote the score for EACH DAWN I DIE - the Cagney/Raft prison break classic from 1939, but he did not receive on-screen credit!

WHY?

Does anyone here know?
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Ray Faiola

Re: Max Steiner and EACH DAWN I DIE

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 am

Brendan - we'd have to look at the cue sheets. It's possible that it was a committee score, like HELL'S KITCHEN of the same year. In that case, only Leo gets screen credit. Max's main title to DAWN was revived by the composer for KEY LARGO. And the End Cast from DAWN was written for THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

brendangcarroll

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks for that Ray.

To my ears, this wasn't a 'committee score' - too much of the music is what I call Prime Maxie.

When I first watched this film 48 years ago (!), there was no IMDB and no access to the Warner files but even then, to my ears, it was Max.

Of course I do know he recycled his music (out of the sheer duress of having to produce so many scores - 1939 I believe was his peak year with 11 pictures). I think the main title for THE LOST PATROL is reworked for CASABLANCA, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES was reworked for WHITE HEAT and so on. But in all those cases he did at least get screen credit.

DAWN was an A picture and it's curious how no music credit is given. As Steiner was a staff composer on salary (unlike Korngold who was paid on a picture-by-picture basis) it would not have made any difference to the budget costs to leave his name off.

If anyone ever does look at the cue sheets or music files for this title, I'd love to know the answer as it has nagged me for many years!

Cheers!

BRENDAN
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

missdupont

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

You could go do research at the USC Warner Bros. Archives, and pull the music sheets and legal files for this one.

brendangcarroll

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am

I am aware of that.

Unfortunately, I live in England, UK, some 8000 miles from California so that is not an option.

Which is why I posted the original question here.

Lamar

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:22 am

Box Office Digest lists Steiner as composer-http://archive.org/stream/boxofficedigest100nati#page/n323/mode/2up.

brendangcarroll

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 am

How very interesting that BOX OFFICE DIGST credits Steiner!

This makes me wonder if his screen credit was omitted by accident back in '39?

Richard Finegan

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 am

I have the Music Cue Sheet for the movie. In fact, I have two different ones: the original, dated July 10, 1939, plus a "corrected" sheet, dated March 14, 1940. Also, the Cue Sheet for the movie's trailer (dated July 6, 1939).

There are 15 selections listed, with Max Steiner credited as composer. (Tunes by two by others are also listed, from the scene of the movie screening at the prison).

I'd post the cue sheets here for all who are interested to see, but haven't been able to post pictures here for a long time. I'll try again...

Ray Faiola

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 am

I'll post them when Rich sends them to me. I wonder if the omission was somehow related to Max requesting that he not receive screen credit for CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY, which he did so for fear of family repercussions by Germany. DAWN was released three months after NAZI with DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS released between them. Not likely, but I have no real explanation for the omission of a composer credit.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Return to Music of the Era