La bous-bous-mie

Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

boblipton

La bous-bous-mie

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 4:36 pm

I was just looking at Oh, You Ragtime! on the Eye Institute site on Youtube -- they've added an enormous number of silents in the last couple of weeks, including more John Bunny shorts than I knew had survived.

This movie was an early production of American Eclair, and it was clear they were remaking old films with a more American cast . This one is a remake of Feuillade's 1909 La bous-bous-mie, in which people start playing a tune and everyone around them starts dancing uncontrollably. In the American film, the tune is "Alexander's Ragtime Band", but checking the Feuillade film is listed in the IMDB as a phonoscene. No reference to the music turns up anywhere through Google.

It's clear to me that there was a tune to which everyone in the film danced. Does anyone have any idea? Ron, have many of the French and German records from 1906-1909 shown up among he record collectors who have been so critical to the Vitaphone Project?

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to Music of the Era