Sheet music for a Vitaphone tune?

Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

sethb

Sheet music for a Vitaphone tune?

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 pm

In the Vitaphone short "Soft Drinks and Sweet Music," Georgie Price sings a song entitled "Bring Back Those Melodramatic Days."

Does anyone know if this tune was ever published as sheet music? Or if the orchestration exists? I've tried eBay and various sheet music archives, but so far have come up dry. Any help or leads on this would be much appreciated. SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

vitaphone

Re: Sheet music for a Vitaphone tune?

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm

That tune was written by Sanford Green and Mack David. Never published to my knowledge, although their I'D LIKE TO DANCE THE WHOLE NIGHT THROUGH from the short. SOFT DRINKS AND SWEET MUSIC starred Georgie Price and Sylvia Froos. C. 1995 we tracked down Sandy Green who apparently lived only a few blocks from Sylvia for over 40 years. We brought them together for lunch at The Players with myself, bandleader Vince Giordano and pianist Peter Mintun attending. Their conversation about the good old days at Vitaphone was wonderful!

sethb

Re: Sheet music for a Vitaphone tune?

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks very much for the info. Coincidentally, I was able to find a copy of the sheet music for I'D LIKE TO DANCE THE WHOLE NIGHT THROUGH on eBay.

BTW, it's my understanding that even if a song is not published as sheet music, it is still possible for the author/owner to obtain a copyright for an unpublished tune (which seems to be the case here). So I wonder if LOC possibly has it anyway --- an interesting possibility! SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

Return to Music of the Era