SNOW WHITE - First Soundtrack on Records?

Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

bobfells

SNOW WHITE - First Soundtrack on Records?

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 9:14 pm

I just came across a 78 rpm Victor record with the soundtrack song from SNOW WHITE (1937), "With A Smile and A Song." Doing a little checking,it seems this disc, which was part of a three-record set, was the first time than any part of a movie soundtrack was issued on records. Can anybody confirm this?

https://arlissarchives.files.wordpress. ... -final.wav

brendangcarroll

Re: SNOW WHITE - First Soundtrack on Records?

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 1:06 am

Interesting question Bob.

I used to have some great 78s of the Bliss score for THINGS TO COME released on HMV in 1936 but I don't know if they were of a re-recording or the actual soundtrack. These were the first film score recordings to be issued commercially (Jungle Book by Rozsa in 1942 was the second I believe, unless you count the Warsaw Concerto which was a direct soundtrack issue in 1941)

More research needed....
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

brendangcarroll

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 11:03 am

Further to my last message in this thread, I suddenly remembered a book I have called "The Technique of Film Music" by John Huntley which states that the famous March from Things to Come, with the Epilogue (on the B side) conducted by Muir Matheson were transferred directly from the film soundtrack (as stated on the record label). This was done on February 18 1936 and the disc was issued by Decca in June. So I suspect that these were the first soundtrack recordings of actual film music. Other selections conducted by Bliss himself were recorded much earlier before actual filming took place!(3 March 1935) and issued separately.

However, Disney was issuing soundtrack 78rpmss of his short subjects as early as 1933 aimed at the childrens' market. FLOWERS and TREES and THE 3 LITTLE PIGS were among the first.

Hope this helps...
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

bobfells

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks Brendan, all good info. Checking on the SNOW WHITE 78s, I learned that the actors playing Snow White and Prince Charming sued Disney over the records without compensating them. They lost in court.

wingate

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 10:13 am

I still have my set of discs.they have a yellow label with a drawing of snow white and the dwarfs.

brendangcarroll

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 4:37 pm

I never knew Harry Stockwell and Adrana Caselotti sued Disney. That's never mentioned by the studio in any of the history books or documentaries about the studio or the film.

The yellow label discs were, I believe, the first issue in 1938 and came in a specially illustrated bound wallet that held all 3 discs. it is rare to find these in the wallet, though the discs themselves are fairly common.

The Blue Victor set must be reissues to coincide with one of the re-releases of the film (I think the first was in 1941).

Donald Binks

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm probably going up a completely different garden path, but I have some gramophone records which feature a few of the themes from the silent German picture "Metropolis". Thoughtfully, each "number" is dutifully announced. I daresay this is not from an actual soundtrack :D but, I thought I'd mention it as an interesting curiosity.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

brendangcarroll

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 am

How interesting!

Can you post a snap of the label?

Donald Binks

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 1:56 am

brendangcarroll wrote:How interesting!

Can you post a snap of the label?

Well I can do better than that, I can play one for you! (Well You Tube can).
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

brendangcarroll

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 am

Thanks for the METROPOLIS link. I never heard of these discs before and they are not mentioned on the Bluray.

I suppose they would count as the first soundtrack on records except that METROPOLIS is technically a 'silent' film....

A remarkable rarity!

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Presumably this is the cover for the first Snow White 78s, as the cover matches the original first run poster art.

Perhaps this is the reverse?

And a label from a British release (very attractive!).

The earliest thing I have is a nice 78 rpm album for songs from Pinocchio.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

brendangcarroll

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 am

I have this British set, which sold very well. The litle album which housed the discs is very rare now however.

I think the Pinnochio discs are also more rare but I do not know if they also had a special illustrated wallet.

Return to Music of the Era