Should I keep ClassicFlix?

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Marr&Colton

Re: Should I keep ClassicFlix?

PostMon Apr 13, 2015 1:05 pm

I finally had enough! CANCELED my membership. The last few DVDs took 10 days to reach me in the midwest from their office near Sacramento, California! The last one was mailed April 3rd and it's now the 13th and it still hasn't shown up.

The US Postal Service is a disgrace!! It wasn't that long ago you could depend on a first class letter taking 3-4 days to get
anywhere in the continental USA--and that was for much less than the 50 some cents postage it now costs!

VinB19

PostThu Jun 25, 2015 6:49 pm

About two years ago, i joined ClassicFlix because I love to watch the old movies. I just recently cancelled. Living on the east coast, it took a week for the DVDs I returned to reach them, and almost another week to get new ones. So basically, it took two weeks to get a new DVD. They claim that they send their movies first class, which I don't believe. When I wrote to them about this, the only thing they said was, "Thank you for your support."
I switched to the two DVD plan, at $17.99 a month, hoping that things might improve, but no such luck. The biggest farce about this company is their description of "Short Wait." The movie "Banjo On My Knee," listed as a "Short Wait" was on my list
for three months before I finally got it. Other films have been on the "Short Wait" list for five months or more. When I wrote to them about this, guess what answer I got? "Thank you for your support."
Finally, I decided to add up all the films on my list that said "Short Wait" or "Very Long Wait." The total was 87 films! The thing that convinced me to quit however, was when they sent me half a serial. "Dick Tracy" Disc 1 and Disc 2 were both available. Instead of sending me both discs together (as I said, I had a two DVD plan) they sent Disc 1 and another movie! Ever try to watch half a serial? They did finally send Disc 2, but only after I complained.
My advice to anyone who is a member of ClassicFlix is to get out and do it now. This company is strictly Amateur Night.

azjazzman

PostSun Jun 28, 2015 3:40 am

VinB19 wrote:About two years ago, i joined ClassicFlix because I love to watch the old movies. I just recently cancelled. Living on the east coast, it took a week for the DVDs I returned to reach them, and almost another week to get new ones. So basically, it took two weeks to get a new DVD. They claim that they send their movies first class, which I don't believe. When I wrote to them about this, the only thing they said was, "Thank you for your support."
I switched to the two DVD plan, at $17.99 a month, hoping that things might improve, but no such luck. The biggest farce about this company is their description of "Short Wait." The movie "Banjo On My Knee," listed as a "Short Wait" was on my list
for three months before I finally got it. Other films have been on the "Short Wait" list for five months or more. When I wrote to them about this, guess what answer I got? "Thank you for your support."
Finally, I decided to add up all the films on my list that said "Short Wait" or "Very Long Wait." The total was 87 films! The thing that convinced me to quit however, was when they sent me half a serial. "Dick Tracy" Disc 1 and Disc 2 were both available. Instead of sending me both discs together (as I said, I had a two DVD plan) they sent Disc 1 and another movie! Ever try to watch half a serial? They did finally send Disc 2, but only after I complained.
My advice to anyone who is a member of ClassicFlix is to get out and do it now. This company is strictly Amateur Night.

I don't disagree with anything you have said except for one thing. They definitely do send discs First Class both ways. You can tell by the postal permit label on the mailer. Why the Post Office does such a poor job handling these mail pieces is beyond me. I can send a padded envelope first class from AZ to the East Coast and it will be delivered in 2-3 days each and every time. The ClassicFlix mailer, which is considerably smaller than a padded envelope, takes from 3-5 days to get to me from CA to AZ. But, it is what it is, I guess.

The rest of what you say mirrors my experience. I still subscribe, but I have considered canceling numerous times. It seems like every time I get ready to cancel, they send me a notice they have shipped me something I am really anxious to see and I forget about it.

TempleDrake

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Found this old thread and wanted to inquire about their recent service, but am discouraged seeing all these comments. I am in Southern California and am not receiving disks for about 5-7 days after their presumed shipment, and their not receiving disks for over 7-10 days after I return them. I had this service back in 2013-14 and signed up again about 5 months ago, but it seems since the holidays the service has plummeted. Anyone else still using them at this point?

SilentsPlease

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 pm

TempleDrake wrote:Found this old thread and wanted to inquire about their recent service, but am discouraged seeing all these comments. I am in Southern California and am not receiving disks for about 5-7 days after their presumed shipment, and their not receiving disks for over 7-10 days after I return them. I had this service back in 2013-14 and signed up again about 5 months ago, but it seems since the holidays the service has plummeted. Anyone else still using them at this point?

If someone in the West Coast like you are getting lousy service, that pretty much confirms that there is no hope for the rest of the country in getting good service. I started renting from them in 2012, but cancelled last year due to longer and longer wait times. Netflix in its early days was the same way.

Only with extraordinary circumstances did Netflix become successful: (a) the ability to strike deals with big studios to obtain discs for very little cost; (b) having enough capital to blanket the nation with hundreds of shipping centers; (c) being lucky enough to exist in a period when DVD became mainstream and extremely popular (late 90s to mid 00s), so they could gain a massive number of subscribers. Companies like Classicflix and many others simply don't have such good fortune.

With discs giving way to digital streaming, it's safe to say there will never be another disc renter as successful as Netflix.

Classicflix seems to be still adding new releases, such as Flicker Alley's "L'Inhumaine" that is coming out next week. That seems to indicate they intend to stay in business, at least for now. But of course, they probably will have only one or two copies of a new title, which, of course, won't solve long wait times.

I've heard from someone who used to run a disc-rental-by-mail service that a disc could not last too many trips in the mail before it would get damaged, perhaps as few as 5 or 6 trips. If that's true, then it's truly a depressing thought: even in ideal situations where wait times were minimal, their business would STILL not be profitable, not if their discs were so easily damaged. Of course, Netflix was not affected by this because it was able to buy discs at low, low costs. The ma-and-pa rental stores, however, have to buy them at retail prices.

Marr&Colton

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm

UPDATE---MARCH 12, 2016.

For the last few months of 2015 and January, February of 2016 rejoined Classicflix at the 7.99 price level.

At first, DVDs arrived within 6 days of mailing from their Sacramento-area address to the midwest.

After a couple months, service started hitting bottom again---7-10 day delivery time each way.

Once again, Classicflix response was to wait at least 8 days before they would send another DVD.

I even spoke with US Postal Service customer service on the phone, and they said--THIS DELAYED FIRST CLASS SERVICE IS THE NEW NORMAL (!) due to many factors.

It's just not worth the irritation of bad service both ways, so canceled again!

GO ONLINE TO YOUR PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SEE IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO STATE-WIDE LIBRARIES FOR
DVDs FOR LOAN---I'M IN OHIO AND 90% OF CLASSIC TITLES I'VE SEARCHED FOR WERE AVAILABLE TO BORROW!
They're sent to my neighborhood library branch....no hassles and FREE!

Marr&Colton

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Update as of June 17th:

Rejoined Classicflix at the minimum level hoping service would be better.

Joined June 9th and as of the 17th still no DVD in the mail. Postal service TERRIBLE. Complained to Classicflix and they
now allow 10 days before declaring a disc lost or severely delayed in order to send another one out.

Does anyone have the owner's private email address? Their selection is wonderful, but there's got to be a better way
to deal with long delays in the mail---perhaps just charging by the single DVD sent and returned?

rodney4130

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 9:43 am

I've been getting super fast service from them over the last month or so. Usually takes 3 days for them to get the disc back, and I get a new one about 3 days later.

porkbucket

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 1:10 am

I've been using Classicflix for several years now, and I too am plagued with items that have remained in my rental queue for well over a year. Most of them are old television series and westerns. In fact I got so tired of waiting that I ended up just buying a few episode series on eBay. Such as Gunsmoke, Naked City, and Perry Mason.

Of course I could always discontinue my membership, but where else can one find a DVD rental company with classic titles? Besides, I always crossed my fingers in the hope that they will someday progress like Netflix. Who by the way immediately sends you another disc the moment you report any problems. Classicflix on the other hand, won't bother sending out another disc until they receive one back first. And we know how long that takes! Furthermore, don't even waste your time writing them because I have, and my concerns were always ignored or unanswered. However they did cut down on breakage so it seems. Yet from time to time, I still receive discs that are badly scratched, defective or has data read errors due to improper handling - and thus unplayable.

This leads me to another point, for I can't help but think that the company never "replenishes" their stock whenever a disc is lost, damaged or defective. In fact, it's fairly clear that they continue listing such damaged and lost items as currently "active" in their inventory - rather than "omitting" them like Netflix does. How else could one explain why titles remain stagnant at the top of your rental queue for such long periods of time? What's worse, I suspect they continue to mail out the same bad discs that were reported "unplayable" as well. It's like a repeated cycle to the next sucker in line after they receive it back. Quite an effective stall tactic if you ask me, and yet another trick to nickle & dime us! Unfortunately I have no way of proving that, but it seems very obvious to me. After all, you'd think that the person who had the disc before you surely must had discovered the "same problems" and reported it?

For those here who have Classicflix, I think it would be interesting if we each maintained an "updated list" of all the "unplayable discs" we get from time to time for comparison sake. If anyone receives any of the "same" listed DVD/BD titles reported as defective, then these above allegations should be quite clear. I have kept tabs on the damaged discs I had received, for they still remain on "WAIT" at the top of my queue - and probably never will be replenished either.

RECEIVED UNPLAYABLE & STILL IN QUEUE:
----------------------------------------------------------------

- Outside the Law / Shadows 1921
- Gunplay / Hot Lead 1951
- Big City Blues 1932
- Mack Sennett Collection, Vol. 1 Disc 3 (Blu)
- Tim Holt Collection, Vol. 4 Disc 1 (Wagon Train 1940, The Fargo Kid 1940, Cyclone on Horseback 1941)
- Tim Holt Collection, Vol. 4 Disc 2 (Riding the Wind 1942, Land of the Open Range 1942, Thundering Hoofs 1942)
- Tim Holt Collection, Vol. 4 Disc 3 (Red River Robin Hood 1942, Overland Telegraph 1951, Trail Guide 1952)
- Rawhide - Season 4, Vol. 2 Disc 1
- Rawhide - Season 5, Vol. 1 Disc 2
- Rawhide - Season 6, Vol. 1 Disc 1
- Bonanza - Season 3, Vol. 2 Disc 2
- Bonanza - Season 5, Vol. 1 Disc 5
- Bonanza - Season 6, Vol. 2 Disc 1
- Bonanza - Season 8, Vol. 1 Disc 3
- Bonanza - Season 5, Vol. 1 Disc 5

As I mentioned, I've also received several damaged Gunsmoke, Naked City, and Perry Mason episodes. But I ended up buying them because they just sat in my rental queue for over a year. If Classicflix simply informed us that certain titles are UNAVAILABLE, it would sure save us a lot of time and aggravation.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am

Regarding the alleged USPS postal delays, I've been mailing out and receiving mail constantly and I don't seem to notice any delays EXCEPT for Classicflix (which I cancelled in 2015). I'm an Amazon seller and I mail out items frequently and check their tracking info closely. I'm also a long-time Netflix disc subscriber who has been receiving discs constantly for years now. And I can't say I have seen any noticeable delays. USPS first-class mail is usually 2-4 business days in transit. In summer, there may be delays due to hazardous climate due to heat. And of course, there are delays caused by hurricanes and the likes, but those are expected. In short, the problem with the delays with Classicflix is likely due to Classicflix itself.

porkbucket

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Here's a recent "generic" reply from Classicflix regarding a defected disc I reported:

"Sorry about that. We don't have another copy of that title available so we'll remove it from your current rentals. If you'd still like to view it, please put it back in your rental queue and it'll be shipped out when another copy becomes available. We'll also ship out another DVD right away. And, if you haven't already, please mail the defective one back to us."

So don't be surprised if you 'rent' this title and receive the same 'defective disc 3' I returned...

The Mack Sennett Collection, Vol. 1 Disc 3 (Blu-Ray)
https://classicflix.com/mack-sennett-co ... 14743.html" target="_blank

Marr&Colton

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm

In the last month or so, postal service has greatly improved from California to Ohio.

teadoust

PostMon May 08, 2017 9:21 am

SilentsPlease wrote:Regarding the alleged USPS postal delays, I've been mailing out and receiving mail constantly and I don't seem to notice any delays EXCEPT for Classicflix (which I cancelled in 2015). I'm an Amazon seller and I mail out items frequently and check their tracking info closely. I'm also a long-time Netflix disc subscriber who has been receiving discs constantly for years now. And I can't say I have seen any noticeable delays. USPS first-class mail is usually 2-4 business days in transit. In summer, there may be delays due to hazardous climate due to heat. And of course, there are delays caused by hurricanes and the likes, but those are expected. In short, the problem with the delays with Classicflix is likely due to Classicflix itself.

Exactly. I sell stuff too and everything I sell gets where it's going. I buy loads of stuff and again: all of it reaches me. I rent from every company currently offering dvd-by-mail - CafeDVD, Facets and NetFlix and EVERYTHING makes it to whatever address I choose to have it shipped to (work or home), no problems. ClassicFlix is the one company where there are always "issues" and you'd have to be brain-damaged to conclude anything other than the fact that they're deliberately not providing rentals so as to maximize profit. I wonder if other disgruntled users would be interested in suing them?

Zool

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:58 am

teadoust wrote:
SilentsPlease wrote:Regarding the alleged USPS postal delays, I've been mailing out and receiving mail constantly and I don't seem to notice any delays EXCEPT for Classicflix (which I cancelled in 2015). I'm an Amazon seller and I mail out items frequently and check their tracking info closely. I'm also a long-time Netflix disc subscriber who has been receiving discs constantly for years now. And I can't say I have seen any noticeable delays. USPS first-class mail is usually 2-4 business days in transit. In summer, there may be delays due to hazardous climate due to heat. And of course, there are delays caused by hurricanes and the likes, but those are expected. In short, the problem with the delays with Classicflix is likely due to Classicflix itself.

Exactly. I sell stuff too and everything I sell gets where it's going. I buy loads of stuff and again: all of it reaches me. I rent from every company currently offering dvd-by-mail - CafeDVD, Facets and NetFlix and EVERYTHING makes it to whatever address I choose to have it shipped to (work or home), no problems. ClassicFlix is the one company where there are always "issues" and you'd have to be brain-damaged to conclude anything other than the fact that they're deliberately not providing rentals so as to maximize profit. I wonder if other disgruntled users would be interested in suing them?

Though I haven't been a customer of Classic Flix for years, I have been getting DVD's from them for a while now. Once I got the wrong movie. The one I wanted wasn't available - they didn't have it. I sent the DVD back and got the next one in my queue. So, that movie, I'll have to look elsewhere for it. Not the end of the world, you know.

Other than this I haven't had any further problems or delays. And I don't even live in a big city.

Yay. My 100th post. Finally.
http://www.georgeobrien.net

You probably thought or even wished that I was dead

teadoust

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 am

@Zool

you're basically right: the fact that the company provides crappy service is not the end of the world and no one from ClassicFlix is shows up on my doorstep FORCING me to maintain an account (I just closed mine and more than likely won't be back). still, I am curious about one thing: how often do you send stuff back and forth to them? I have gotten the distinct sense that they will not consistently honor any of their rental plans if the renter sends stuff back promptly. if you're actually getting 2-3 shipments in the mail per month, I'd be shocked.

Zool

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 1:38 am

teadoust wrote:@Zool

you're basically right: the fact that the company provides crappy service is not the end of the world and no one from ClassicFlix is shows up on my doorstep FORCING me to maintain an account (I just closed mine and more than likely won't be back). still, I am curious about one thing: how often do you send stuff back and forth to them? I have gotten the distinct sense that they will not consistently honor any of their rental plans if the renter sends stuff back promptly. if you're actually getting 2-3 shipments in the mail per month, I'd be shocked.

Well, I currently have the cheapest plan available, which is one DVD at a time, two DVD's per month, MAXIMUM. For me it isn't a money thing, but time. The DVD usually arrives within two days after it is mailed out. I watch it within a few days, return it within a few days, they receive, and ship the next one out within a few days. Rinse, repeat a second time. I've been doing this the last several months. As far as my plan goes, they've been pretty quick and consistent.

What's the alternative? Netflix? I wasn't too satisfied with their catalog. I wish ClassicFlix had movies from the 70's and 80's.... Thankfully the few movies I've searched for, I've been able to find in dark, remote corners of the internet. Makes me wish Blockbuster was still around, and little independent video stores..... and that I still lived in "LA" and could go to Eddie Brandt's!
http://www.georgeobrien.net

You probably thought or even wished that I was dead

rodney4130

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 am

I've used Classicflix for a few years now. I've had issues in the past, but I never felt they were dishonest people, just overwhelmed.

The last six months or so, it's been just fine.

SilentsPlease

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 am

As some of you may have already heard, Classicflix is no longer accept new rental members, and instead has gone into the *disc-making* business. I bought one of their discs, the 1951 Bette Davis pic "Another Man's Poison," and was shocked that it was actually a pretty well-made disc. So apparently, the people who make discs are not the same incompetent ones running their rental business. They still rent discs, but, as I said, they aren't accept new members. I guess they still need the income from rentals.
Previous

Return to Tech Talk