The future of streaming

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Frederica

Re: The future of streaming

PostThu May 28, 2015 10:07 am

Another article on changing television habits.
http://gizmodo.com/so-many-people-are-c ... 1707226252" target="_blank
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

TerryC

PostThu May 28, 2015 11:07 pm

I have about 5000 DVDs and about 500 blu-Rays. Our cable company decided to carry TCM about 5 years ago and I recorded hundreds of movies with my recordable DVD player. All of these are shelved in floor to ceiling book cases. Increasingly the majority of these have small red dot stickers meaning I haven't watched them yet. I can honestly say that I can count on the fingers of one hand the discs I own that I have seen more than once. I also burn DVDRWs of series not available locally and movies we don't want to own borrowed from the library. With our PVR my wife and I record any of the latest shows that interest us. Sometimes we are 10 episodes behind on a particular show. Three or 4 years ago we purchased a playstation 3 to use as a blu-Ray player it also gives you access to Netflix which we intend to sign up for whenever we are caught up. We calculate that will happen around the turn of the next millennium.

Frederica

PostFri May 29, 2015 8:13 am

TerryC wrote:I have about 5000 DVDs and about 500 blu-Rays. Our cable company decided to carry TCM about 5 years ago and I recorded hundreds of movies with my recordable DVD player. All of these are shelved in floor to ceiling book cases. Increasingly the majority of these have small red dot stickers meaning I haven't watched them yet. I can honestly say that I can count on the fingers of one hand the discs I own that I have seen more than once. I also burn DVDRWs of series not available locally and movies we don't want to own borrowed from the library. With our PVR my wife and I record any of the latest shows that interest us. Sometimes we are 10 episodes behind on a particular show. Three or 4 years ago we purchased a playstation 3 to use as a blu-Ray player it also gives you access to Netflix which we intend to sign up for whenever we are caught up. We calculate that will happen around the turn of the next millennium.

I had a lot of films lying around some time ago, same thing--most of them had never been watched. DVDs made it easy to do that, you could record and record and record, but the dvds didn't take up much space. And then one day I didn't have all those dvds, Zen Master kicked in. I don't know why I had time to watch films then and don't now.

A lot of the television shows I watch only have 10 episodes per season, and I admit, I rather enjoy binge-watching them all in one chunk. I don't think I'm alone in that, but I also don't think it counts ratings-wise.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Donald Binks

PostFri May 29, 2015 4:52 pm

There seems to be some type of demon invading our bodies that craves for us to be incessant collectors. I too suffer from the same malady - but I only have about 3,000 DVD's.

Even though I have a table with about 300 DVD's on it that I "must watch" - I am still collecting films that "I simply must have" and the pile on the table never diminishes in size. As well, I must have about 30% of the DVD's on the shelves in an unwatched state.

If you add the DVD's to the videotapes, gramophone records, CD's, cassette tapes, reel to reel tapes, slides and motion picture film - as well as books I have also stored around the house and then, multiply the outcome by the number of hours it would take to sit through the lot - I think I will have to live to at least 189 in order to get through it all! :D

Is there any help we can get? :D
Last edited by Donald Binks on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

boblipton

PostFri May 29, 2015 5:25 pm

Donald Binks wrote:There seems to be some time of demon invading our bodies that craves for us to be incessant collectors. I too suffer from the same malady - but I only have about 3,000 DVD's.

Even though I have a table with about 300 DVD's on it that I "must watch" - I am still collecting films that "I simply must have" and the pile on the table never diminishes in size. As well, I must have about 30% of the DVD's on the shelves in an unwatched state.

If you add the DVD's to the videotapes, gramophone records, CD's, cassette tapes, reel to reel tapes, slides and motion picture film - as well as books I have also stored around the house and then, multiply the outcome by the number of hours it would take to sit through the lot - I think I will have to live to at least 189 in order to get through it all! :D

Is there any help we can get? :D

If you wish to live another 189 years, eat healthy.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Jim Roots

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 7:00 am

I have a rather nice setup. I just replaced my old TV set and DVD player at the same time about three weeks ago, and they are in the family room on the main floor. I also have my wife's old portable TV with built-in VCR player in the basement, facing the stationary bike.

So each evening I re-watch an old VHS tape in the basement while biking, then shower, then cap off the night watching a new DVD in the family room. Thus, I'm watching both the old stuff that I've already seen at least once, and the new stuff I haven't yet seen, and getting some fitness done too.

Jim

Donald Binks

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 3:31 pm

So each evening I re-watch an old VHS tape in the basement while biking, then shower, then cap off the night watching a new DVD in the family room. Thus, I'm watching both the old stuff that I've already seen at least once, and the new stuff I haven't yet seen, and getting some fitness done too.

You are a multi-tasking fiend! :D I can't chew gum and fart at the same time! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!
Previous

Return to Tech Talk