HDMI Cables

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Donald Binks

HDMI Cables

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 pm

My main television set - the big one that is connected up with more speakers than there are at a rock concert - was on the blink, or so I thought. I kept getting instances of digital interruption from broadcasts. I thought that there was something wrong with my aerial or the aerial wire, but no, everything appeared in order. Next I had a look at all the other wiring - spaghetti junction, connecting the DVD player, the Denom Box thing and the TV - and couldn't see anything wrong there either. I eventually found out that the problem rested in the HDMI cables. Taking them out and substituting the connections for component leads solved the issue.

What I would like to know is this - if there is someone out there who can please explain? Do HDMI cables just wear out? The cables I had attached have not been touched in 4 or 5 years so I cannot see that exce4ssive tampering had anything to do with the issue.

I also thought that HDMI cables were the way to go in order to receive the best available picture and sound, but lately reading up on things when I was sorting out this mess, I read that component leads are just as good and allow a 1080 signal through.

I find it all intriguing as with everything becoming more and more complicated, we virtually have to become electrical engineers in order to be able to work anything! :(
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

syd

Re: HDMI Cables

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 4:40 pm

HDMI cables are rated by how fast and how much data can
move through them. Regular HDMI cables from 5 years ago
may not be capable of higher bandwidth transmission of data
like 1080p or 3D video.

Donald Binks

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 pm

syd wrote:HDMI cables are rated by how fast and how much data can
move through them. Regular HDMI cables from 5 years ago
may not be capable of higher bandwidth transmission of data
like 1080p or 3D video.

Thanks for the input Syd. The cabling was working fine up until a couple of months back, and then things slowly got blotchy. It could be that the cables were too old - but, now having replaced them with component leads I find that these work fine and I am hesitant to fork out money on more HDMI cables which may also end up going on the blink.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Koniec12

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 3:28 am

There are 3 or 4 HDMI cables classes.

ColemanShedman

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 6:24 am

Any Category 2 cable should be fine for what you need. I buy them from amazon for 5 bucks or so and they work perfectly. If you are paying more than $10 for an HDMI cable, you are wasting your money. Why anyone would want to use component these days is beyond me.

Ale4445

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 am

I purchased a couple of HDMI cables approximately 2 years ago, and they are still working great, no complaints at all!
I would recommend not use long cables if there is no necessity for it since the length is directly proportional to video and sound quality deterioration.
https://www.bestadvisor.com/hdmi-cables

MoviecollectorOH

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 am

I'm using an HDMI cable for video, and the two audio channels of an analog component breakout cable for my main room (let's say more complicated system). On the other hand for watching live TV in a different room, on a different receiver, I am just using a straight HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

I have satellite receivers now which might actually be okay, but a few years ago had a cable receiver where the HDMI audio had a tendency to drop out. The only remedy was to change channels and then come back.

I did some troubleshooting and swapped out HDMI cables to no avail. As I understood it, this was a glitchy problem with the HDMI subsystem on the cable receiver. I don't remember the exact details, but at the time I was able to find reports from others on the Internet who seemed to have similar issues. It always involved audio dropouts, never video. Counterintuitive, considering the higher bandwidth of video, but remember this is a glitch. They all solved this issue the same way as you did - use analog cables for audio.

Only downside I think is that Dolby multichannel sound uses either the HDMI or optical audio connection. It is carried digitally. Without sound being carried over the HDMI or optical digital cables, you must resort to two-channel audio (stereo). As luck might have it, I am one of those who couldn't care less.

MoviecollectorOH

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I also thought that HDMI cables were the way to go in order to receive the best available picture and sound, but lately reading up on things when I was sorting out this mess, I read that component leads are just as good and allow a 1080 signal through.

Yes. Just to be specific for others, the linked pics here are the three video connectors of a 5-wire component cable (3 video, 2 audio) which is used for HD analog:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Component-cables.jpg"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Comp ... o_jack.jpg"

Here is an example breakdown of the different signals (one luminance and two chroma):
http://www.moviecollector.us/pics_to_ho ... xample.png"

Return to Tech Talk