High Failure Rate of Warner Bros and Fox DVDs?

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Harlowgold

Re: High Failure Rate of Warner Bros and Fox DVDs?

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks, and I agree with you that something screwy is going on here. I do live in a warm/humid area of the country, and I'm wondering if perhaps the Fox and Warner discs might be more vulnerable due to those factors for some reason. The room that the discs are stored in isn't known for getting hot though. As for playback, of the discs I've tested, they play to varying degrees of success. I was able to play about the first hour of Rose of Washington Square before I started experiencing playback problems (stuttering, pixelation, etc.). "Gentleman Jim" plays to the end of the film when serious pixelation strikes. The Black Camel feature plays, but the special features won't play at all. Also, it takes the player quite a while to start playing the movie upon putting the disc in the player (it's a Sony blu-ray player if that's of any significance). I'll get a few photos of the questionable discs sometime later today.

I'm also in a humid area of the country (the Gulf Coast) and I wonder if WB discs just cannot take the heat after several years. Though it's outrageous that plenty of public domain dollar store dvds purchased in the same period still play great!!

Little Caesar

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Some of the bad ones in my collection -

Flintstones - almost every disc in the five seasons I have!!
Droopy
Popeye
Wonder Woman
Rebel Without a Cause
Streetcar Named Desire
Night of the Iguana
Dance Girl Dance
Boom Town

(I'm not at home right now so I can't make a complete list at the moment but I believe a good 30-45 percent of my WB titles looked suspicious or would not play!! As I mentioned in another thread, I also checked other companies but I didn't run into any other bad ones other than the Kino Griffith shorts which would play only the Kino intro logo and nothing else.)

I was about to buy the WB Lucy movie and Tracy & Hepburn sets but now - I don't think so!!

Welcome to the club. As Bill Clinton would have said, "I feel your pain." Since I made my discovery close to two years ago, I have observed similar trends elsewhere. Going through thrift stores and library sales, I have found several other WB discs that exhibit the same problems. Then, there is this Home Theater Forum which you will likely find very interesting: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-dvds-not-working-thread-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/
Two interesting excerpts:
"Pretty sure all the discs that people are reporting here as freezing up were manufactured BEFORE the plants moved to
Mexico. Honestly, it's the best thing that Warner ever did. Quality of the Warner discs is so much better now."

"IIRC, Warner manufactured their dvd discs at Cinram's plant in Olyphant, Pennsylvania until 2010. But in 2010, Warner changed to Thomson/Technicolor's Mexico plant."
The Olyphant, Pennsylvania Cinram plant had IFPI facility codes 2U** and (I think) also 2F**
The Thomson/Technicolor plant in Guadalajara, Mexico had IFPI facility codes KK**
In my experience, I have come across the most defective dvd discs manufactured by Cinram's Olyphant, Pennsylvania facility with IFPI facility code 2U** and 2F**, and also IFPI facility code 60**
(IIRC, IFPI facility code 60** is the former Cinram facility in Toronto, Ontario in Canada, which now appears to be closed).
For a long time, Fox and Lionsgate were also Cinram's big customers."

My observations seem to coincide with what that poster said. WB dvds from 2006 through 2009 seem to have a high failure rate for me (you better check out your Fox dvds from the same time period too). My Good News dvd purchased from a Suncoast video store in December of 2000 (and still in its original snapper case) plays perfectly (just watched it again recently). My Three Little Words dvd from 2006 is toast. My Looney Tunes Golden Collections from 2003, 2004, and 2005 look and play perfectly. The ones from 2006, 2007, and 2008 are mostly rotted (a few discs look ok). Like you, I live in a humid climate so I tend to think that has something to do with it. I considered trying to press the matter with WB, but I haven't (yet) because I figured they would counter that these are all old purchases and that they were stored improperly (to which I would say BS - I'm about the most anal person when it comes to my DVDs and blu-rays). All of that said - (1) the affected titles that mean the most to me have been repurchased (and for the most part for much cheaper than what I originally paid) and (2) I'm getting ready to do a cross-country move so this rotting will be in my mind as I set my discs up in their new environment. Given how long it took for these problems to develop, the repurchased titles will be in a lower humidity environment long before any problems set in. Oddly enough, my Flintstones season sets are all in excellent condition, but my three disc set for The Jazz Singer which was the DVD neighbor of Fred and Barney is completely toast (well, I would have upgraded to the blu-ray set regardless).
FWIW - Kino titles from a decade or more ago are known for some problems. The only Kino problem I have ever had was with the Douglas Fairbanks dvd collection. The Zorro double feature was dead on arrival, and the Robin Hood and Thief of Bagdad discs rotted within about two years from the original purchase.
Last edited by Little Caesar on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Little Caesar

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
Thanks, and I agree with you that something screwy is going on here. I do live in a warm/humid area of the country, and I'm wondering if perhaps the Fox and Warner discs might be more vulnerable due to those factors for some reason. The room that the discs are stored in isn't known for getting hot though. As for playback, of the discs I've tested, they play to varying degrees of success. I was able to play about the first hour of Rose of Washington Square before I started experiencing playback problems (stuttering, pixelation, etc.). "Gentleman Jim" plays to the end of the film when serious pixelation strikes. The Black Camel feature plays, but the special features won't play at all. Also, it takes the player quite a while to start playing the movie upon putting the disc in the player (it's a Sony blu-ray player if that's of any significance). I'll get a few photos of the questionable discs sometime later today.

I'm also in a humid area of the country (the Gulf Coast) and I wonder if WB discs just cannot take the heat after several years. Though it's outrageous that plenty of public domain dollar store dvds purchased in the same period still play great!!

There is a certain irony that the Digiview disc of Till the Clouds Roll By probably has a higher probability of being playable (for me at least) than the official WB disc.

Harlowgold

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Little Caesar wrote:
Welcome to the club. As Bill Clinton would have said, "I feel your pain." Since I made my discovery close to two years ago, I have observed similar trends elsewhere. Going through thrift stores and library sales, I have found several other WB discs that exhibit the same problems. Then, there is this Home Theater Forum which you will likely find very interesting: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-dvds-not-working-thread-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/
Two interesting excerpts:
"Pretty sure all the discs that people are reporting here as freezing up were manufactured BEFORE the plants moved to
Mexico. Honestly, it's the best thing that Warner ever did. Quality of the Warner discs is so much better now."

"IIRC, Warner manufactured their dvd discs at Cinram's plant in Olyphant, Pennsylvania until 2010. But in 2010, Warner changed to Thomson/Technicolor's Mexico plant."
The Olyphant, Pennsylvania Cinram plant had IFPI facility codes 2U** and (I think) also 2F**
The Thomson/Technicolor plant in Guadalajara, Mexico had IFPI facility codes KK**
In my experience, I have come across the most defective dvd discs manufactured by Cinram's Olyphant, Pennsylvania facility with IFPI facility code 2U** and 2F**, and also IFPI facility code 60**
(IIRC, IFPI facility code 60** is the former Cinram facility in Toronto, Ontario in Canada, which now appears to be closed).
For a long time, Fox and Lionsgate were also Cinram's big customers."

My observations seem to coincide with what that poster said. WB dvds from 2006 through 2009 seem to have a high failure rate for me (you better check out your Fox dvds from the same time period too). My Good News dvd purchased from a Suncoast video store in December of 2000 (and still in its original snapper case) plays perfectly (just watched it again recently). My Three Little Words dvd from 2006 is toast. My Looney Tunes Golden Collections from 2003, 2004, and 2005 look and play perfectly. The ones from 2006, 2007, and 2008 are mostly rotted (a few discs look ok). Like you, I live in a humid climate so I tend to think that has something to do with it. I considered trying to press the matter with WB, but I haven't (yet) because I figured they would counter that these are all old purchases and that they were stored improperly (to which I would say BS - I'm about the most anal person when it comes to my DVDs and blu-rays). All of that said - (1) the affected titles that mean the most to me have been repurchased (and for the most part for much cheaper than what I originally paid) and (2) I'm getting ready to do a cross-country move so this rotting will be in my mind as I set my discs up in their new environment. Given how long it took for these problems to develop, the repurchased titles will be in a lower humidity environment long before any problems set in. Oddly enough, my Flintstones season sets are all in excellent condition, but my three disc set for The Jazz Singer which was the DVD neighbor of Fred and Barney is completely toast (well, I would have upgraded to the blu-ray set regardless).
FWIW - Kino titles from a decade or more ago are known for some problems. The only Kino problem I have ever had was with the Douglas Fairbanks dvd collection. The Zorro double feature was dead on arrival, and the Robin Hood and Thief of Bagdad discs rotted within about two years from the original purchase.

I don't have many Fox dvds but yes, all of my Marilyn set save Niagara (and that one may eventually get there), my Tyrone "adventure" set were all shot (the coffee color look in one of your photos) as well as most of my singles Sailor of the King, Bells on Their Toes, etc. Drums Along The Mohawk was one of my first dvd purchases and it's still fine. I don't remember when I purchased these but it is likely in the period as GWTW and Gilligan's Island were among my first dvd purchases circa 2003 and they still play fine. And my Griffith Kino was an early purchase too so it falls in the window of of their early bad copies.

I don't think it has anything to do with the southern heat now as in the Power collection each volume comes with four mini "lobby cards" (sic, actually just 4x5 photos on semi-glossy paper) in an envelope with (oddly) came with dry glue on the flap and those envelopes aren't the least bit sealed or damaged from heat.

My local Fred's discount store has a number of WB boxed sets quite cheap - the 9 Garbos for $19.99, the first Crawford set, Sinatra set, Fox Jayne Mansfield set, etc. for $12.99 and the Tracy-Hepburn 10 disc incredibly for just that price too. I'm not sure if one can tell what time frame they were manufactured by an unopened box though and very reluctant to purchase more from either company now.

Little Caesar

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Harlowgold wrote:I don't have many Fox dvds but yes, all of my Marilyn set save Niagara (and that one may eventually get there), my Tyrone "adventure" set were all shot (the coffee color look in one of your photos) as well as most of my singles Sailor of the King, Bells on Their Toes, etc. Drums Along The Mohawk was one of my first dvd purchases and it's still fine. I don't remember when I purchased these but it is likely in the period as GWTW and Gilligan's Island were among my first dvd purchases circa 2003 and they still play fine. And my Griffith Kino was an early purchase too so it falls in the window of of their early bad copies.

I don't think it has anything to do with the southern heat now as in the Power collection each volume comes with four mini "lobby cards" (sic, actually just 4x5 photos on semi-glossy paper) in an envelope with (oddly) came with dry glue on the flap and those envelopes aren't the least bit sealed or damaged from heat.

My local Fred's discount store has a number of WB boxed sets quite cheap - the 9 Garbos for $19.99, the first Crawford set, Sinatra set, Fox Jayne Mansfield set, etc. for $12.99 and the Tracy-Hepburn 10 disc incredibly for just that price too. I'm not sure if one can tell what time frame they were manufactured by an unopened box though and very reluctant to purchase more from either company now.

The problem years for me are 2006 through 2009. WB and Fox discs from before and after that time frame seem to be fine. I bought my copy of Belles on Their Toes in 2004, and that disc looks and plays well (just watched it the other day). Perhaps your copy came from a later pressing. The Garbo titles were released in 2005, and my copies of the Garbo Silents collection and Ninotchka look fine to me. Most of them time, you can find the release dates somewhere on the packaging. You can also go to a site like Amazon and see when the original release date was.
I will say that I am very glad that I didn't buy the Ford at Fox and Murnau/Borzage sets. Given how much they were, I would have been very pissed if they had rotted.

Harlowgold

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Here's my complete WB/Fox classic titles:

ROTTED:
Streetcar Named Desire (both discs), Baby Doll, Night of the Iguana, Best Foot Forward,Dance Girl Dance, Ziegfield Follies, Rebel Without a Cause (both discs), Belles on Their Toes, Sailor of the King, The Broadway Melody, Wife vs Secretary, Roberta, Carefree,Boom Town, Romeo and Juliet, King Kong (disc 2), Captain From Castile, The Black Rose, Prince of Foxes, Son of Fury, Blood and Sand, Watch on the Rhine, The Great Lie, In This Our Life, Niagara, Let's Make Love, Marilyn The Final Days, Seven Year Itch, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Popeye vol. 1, Flintstones seasons 1-5, Droopy, Top Cat, Josie and the Pussycats, Wonder Woman 1-3.

GOOD:
Let's Make Love (Diamond edition, earlier), How Green Was My Valley,Sunrise, All About Eve, Gentlemen's Agreement, Sound of Music, Roman Spring of Mrs.Stone, Tennessee Williams South, Cat on Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth, Man Called Flintstone, Golddiggers of 1933, Gold Diggers in Paris, Rio Bravo, Gold Diggers 1937, Crash Dive, Dames, Son of Kong, Foolight Parade, Hollywood Hotel, Varsity Show, 42nd Street, Ryan's Daughter, Drums Along the Mohawk, Gold Diggers 1935, Brigham Young, Band of Angels, MGM When the Lion Roared, Helen Hayes Agatha Christie set, Sgt Rutledge, Stage Fright, Barkleys of Broadway, Gilligans Island 2-3, River of No Return, The Old Maid, Deception, All This and Heaven Too, Wacky Races, Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Looney Tunes 1, Dinner at Eight, Libeled Lady, Stage Door, Philadephia Story, Bringing Up Baby, To Be or Not To Be.

40 titles bad, 50 good and yes most of those were early purchases.

David Alp

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 2:51 am

So what is the latest regarding this issue? What are you guys doing to resolve it?

I have just (last night) gone to watch my Warnervideo.com 2007, region 1, DVD of "The Clock" (1945) and it won't play after the 1 hour and 15 minute mark. So the last ten minutes are all pixelated and jumpy, (the scene inside the church), it then suddenly picks up after that scene for a little while, and the final 3 minutes of Judy/Walker having breakfast seems to play, but with much stuttering and much pixelization. I've made an 8 minute video [using my phone], showing Warner the original disc-casing (with Proof Of Purchase on outer casing), and then I've shot extensive close-ups of the back of the disc itself in bright sunlight, showing it doesn't have any scratches, and is well taken care of, and then I've popped the disc into the player, to show them it sticking, and not playing, and filmed my TV screen as the pixels appear etc etc... All in one - long - take so that they can see I'm NOT trying to pull-a-fast-one, and to show I'm genuine... On the video I've said "Look, this needs replacing, I've had it since about 2007 or 2008, but it won't work, and you expect these things to last longer than this, can you please send me a replacement, if you need this DVD back then send me a pre-paid label and I shall do so. "

Will this work? Will they do it? Sadly i don't have my receipt. But I bought ALL of my Judy DVD's when I was on holiday in Las Vegas in 2008. (The Judy & Mickey Rooney set as well).

It says on the back of this DVD "NOT AUTHORISED FOR SALE OR RENTAL OUTSIDE THE USA AND CANADA. This copyrighted product has been manufactured and distributed by Warner home Video Inc. a Warner Bros Entertainment Company and is authorized for sale or rental for private home use in the USA and Canada ONLY. The sale or rental of this product outside of the USA and Canada has NOT been authorized by Warner Home Video Inc and is in direct violation of its written terms of trade. Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized distribution , reproduction or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures, videotapes or videodiscs.

I definitely bought it from Las Vegas, but I can't prove that.
Previous

Return to Tech Talk