Sling TV Adds TCM Channel

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Sling TV Adds TCM Channel

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 11:01 am

I don't know much about Sling TV, but they have announced that they are adding TCM to their Internet streaming package called Hollywood Extra:

http://blog.sling.com/announcements/ins ... ood-extra/

Instant Classic: Turner Classic Movies joins Sling TV’s ‘Hollywood Extra’
Jun 18, 2015 by Glenn Eisen

Calling all classic film buffs: if you’re a fan of Charlie Chaplin or Judy Garland, you’ll be thrilled to know we just added Turner Classic Movies (TCM) to the “Hollywood Extra” pack!

As the newest addition to the “Hollywood Extra” pack, TCM joins EPIX, EPIX2, EPIX3, EPIX Drive-In and SundanceTV in giving film enthusiasts access to hundreds of movies live and on demand for just $5 per month with your “Best of Live TV” subscription.

Fans of the classics will love 24/7 access to the greatest movies of all time, including favorites like “The Birds,” “Casablanca” and “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” as well as the best silent and foreign films, contemporary classics and film-related documentaries.

TCM also airs weekly franchises like the popular series “The Essentials,” co-hosted by Robert Osborne and Sally Field, and “TCM Movie Camp,” a new summer-long series targeted to introduce young adults and future filmmakers to the world of classic movies. Additional programming available to Sling TV subscribers includes this year’s “Summer of Darkness,” film noir programming event with over a hundred classic noir titles running on Fridays in June and July. Viewers can also expect TCM’s annual “31 Days of Oscar” and “Summer Under the Stars” festivals, as well as specials like the AFI Tribute to Steve Martin and extended conversations with iconic stars such as Sophia Loren and Peter O’Toole.

Additionally, Sling TV subscribers will see on-demand options available for TCM in the future as we continue to build our TCM library.

To keep up with the latest announcements, bookmark this blog, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter (@Sling)!

Glenn CMO of Sling TV

TakeBackTV

/////
Rick

SilentsPlease

Re: Sling TV Adds TCM Channel

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 1:57 pm

That's great news. The downside to Sling TV is that it can only be viewed on one device at any time. With my Time Warner cable plan, I can watch on TV, Roku, Android, iOS devices at the same time, with each device showing a different channel.

It really comes down to how many STATIONS you need to watch (not necessarily the amount of TV you watch) in order to determine whether you need an expensive cable plan that offers hundreds or thousands of channels, OR a semi-a-la-carte plan like Sling TV here that offers only about 20-30 stations.

Sling TV's main appeal is that it offers sports, but it doesn't offer nearly as many sports stations as cable TV does, such as Fox Sports, Golf channel, Tennis channel, ESPN Classic, etc.

Much has been said about cable TV's high cost, but even if you get Sling TV, it doesn't reduce your cost much because it still requires a fast Internet connection, which is also not cheap.

High costs have to do with licensing costs paid to Hollywood studios for the content, and those are not going to get lower any time soon.

mwalls

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 6:38 pm

I have been looking to cut the cable cord for some time, and have been easing my kids into the idea. One of my reasons for holding onto cable was TCM. Now, it is on Sling and I was very excited to see that. But I still do have a problem. Rarely do I watch anything on TCM when it airs. I DVR everything. Then I watch it when my schedule permits, etc. I think with Sling TV you can watch a movie for a few days after it airs, but that's it. So, I really can't substitute yet. But, having TCM now allowing itself to be involved in internet TV is a very positive thing.

Roseha

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm glad to hear about this. I had Sling TV for awhile, but was disappointed in not being able to watch most of the programming "on demand." They didn't have TCM at the time, and I eventually cancelled. Has anyone tried it with TCM to see how much programming you can see?
- Rosemary

Brooksie

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm currently trialling Sling in the hope of cancelling my outrageously expensive cable package. It's not too bad, but when you watch TCM you do occasionally get a message saying 'This film is not available through Sling'. This is apparently because some companies have different arrangements for streaming rights and broadcast rights.

I've particularly noticed this happening with Warner Bros films. No doubt they don't want other companies competing with their own Warner Archives streaming service.

There is also no way to record programs, or (as yet) any access to the 'Watch TCM' feature. In both cases, this is a shame, but the subscription fee is so much lower than cable that I'm willing to put up with it.

mwalls

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 5:04 pm

I have high hopes for the Sling package. I just committed to another year with Directv (after they agreed to knock $40 a month off of my bill), but as soon as TCM comes with a good streaming package I am on it. And to me right now the biggest impediment is the ability to record (or to then not have TCM on Demand with a wider selection). Rarely do I watch a movie on TCM when it first airs. I DVR it to watch it later when convenient. But one of the reasons I have cable at all is for TCM, and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to pay for Sling plus the few extra bucks to get TCM. I could even afford Warner streaming and a few others and still be paying less than I pay Directv now.

Frederica

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 am

SilentsPlease wrote:That's great news. The downside to Sling TV is that it can only be viewed on one device at any time. With my Time Warner cable plan, I can watch on TV, Roku, Android, iOS devices at the same time, with each device showing a different channel.
(snip)
Much has been said about cable TV's high cost, but even if you get Sling TV, it doesn't reduce your cost much because it still requires a fast Internet connection, which is also not cheap.

For what it's worth and as a comparison, I had problems streaming with my old dsl line so I upgraded to Time Warner's...um...mid-price-and-speed internet thingie and now have no problems. The cost for the first year was $45.00 per month, it's now gone up to $60.00 per month. I also have subscriptions to Netflix ($8.00), Hulu.com ($8.00), Acorn ($5.00), and amazon.prime, which is $100 per year (or $8.33 a month), but gets me free shipping on all amazon orders, which pays for itself. My little Roku bricked on me, I haven't yet replaced it. I don't have TCM, which I know is important to people here. Once Samsung gets a darned app for HBO Now, I will get a subscription to that (I understand that is about $15 per month). So right now I'm paying around $90 per month for both my television and my internet. That is still cheaper than what I was paying for cable 15 years ago when I cut the cord, I have no idea what cable costs now.

However, that can fluctuate month to month depending on how much amazon pay per view I watch, rather than prime, as for instance last night when I plunked down $15 to watch Season 2 of Outlander. There are shows I'm watching now on amazon that I've paid for (The Vikings or Penny Dreadful). This can get spendy, it will obviously depend on your personal tastes which shows/movies you want to watch for how much.

I think subscriptions may be the wave of the future--a new Star Trek series is planned, I think on CBS, and the plan is to make it pay per view. Plus there are now shows that are crowdfunded and shown on Vimeo/Youtube for subscribers. I'm clueless as to how everything is going to shake out, I just go with it and will go with it unless it becomes prohibitively expensive.
Fred
"Had to talke to Dante for lyke fyve hours on the phone by cause he saw the trayler for Ynferno and was super-embarrassed..”
Chaucer Doth Tweet
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Brooksie

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Frederica wrote:So right now I'm paying around $90 per month for both my television and my internet. That is still cheaper than what I was paying for cable 15 years ago when I cut the cord, I have no idea what cable costs now.

We hit an all-time high of over $150 per month (cable and internet included). It makes the decision to cut the cord pretty easy.

greta de groat

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Brooksie wrote:
Frederica wrote:So right now I'm paying around $90 per month for both my television and my internet. That is still cheaper than what I was paying for cable 15 years ago when I cut the cord, I have no idea what cable costs now.

We hit an all-time high of over $150 per month (cable and internet included). It makes the decision to cut the cord pretty easy.

When you throw in the phone-over-internet, i was at $204 before getting them give me another "special deal" which brought it down to $184. This is not including anything like HBO and Showtime (actually one or the other might be in the current package but definitely weren't in the former).

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Jim Reid

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 6:17 pm

I've got U-Verse for tv and internet. When I first got it about 7-8 years ago it was about $80. Now it's $185. That is with HBO.

Return to Tech Talk