TVs: The Next Format Competition

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Rick Lanham

TVs: The Next Format Competition

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Not everyone has an HD TV, even fewer have a 4K TV, now there are HDR TVs. And, of course, we couldn't just have one version. No, there is HDR10 and also Dolby Vision.

Here's a column about the differences and what's coming:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/dolby-visio ... ormat-war/

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Donald Binks

Re: TVs: The Next Format Competition

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Not everyone has an HD TV, even fewer have a 4K TV, now there are HDR TVs. And, of course, we couldn't just have one version. No, there is HDR10 and also Dolby Vision.

Here's a column about the differences and what's coming:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/dolby-visio ... ormat-war/" target="_blank

Rick

I bought my current two TV sets about 6 years back. They both are capable of receiving HD Digital - and a few channels are broadcast in this format.

About two months back, one of the commercial networks started broadcasting in HD on one of its digital channels in something called "MPEG2". It also switched another of its SD digital channels over to this format. As a consequence I can only get sound on these channels and no picture as my two sets are apparently not compatible with this new process.

It is ludicrous to think (to me anyway) that a quite reasonable expenditure on a television set undertaken such a relatively short time ago, can be rendered a complete write off should all the networks decide to change over to this new process - which it is on the cards they will do so.

Now, we have even more new processes in the offing! Why? Will the signals on which they are to be broadcast be receivable by current sets?

Sure - I am not against something new coming, but I do remember that when colour signals were to be transmitted, they had to be compatible with people who still had black and white sets.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:39 pm

My Nipkow disk will need another oiling.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Donald Binks

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 8:02 pm

boblipton wrote:My Nipkow disk will need another oiling.

Bob

At least when the BBC started to transmit television pictures, they had a testing period when they broadcast both in the mechanical Baird system and the Marconi electronic system in tandem before opting on the latter for the regular service. This negated the need for the public to have to throw out a set out and buy another.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Danny Burk

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Not to worry, just skip the advances until something you actually want comes along. The one I bought last year has all sorts of features that I don't use and know nothing about; the one it replaced was so old that it could only play nitrate.

Phototone

PostTue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

If you subscribe to a cable or satellite TV service, then the box that sits on your tv adjusts the signal to "fit" even older TV's.

Donald Binks

PostTue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm

I am in a competition at the moment which if I win will see me possessed of a 55 inch 4K television! Wish me luck! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

PostTue May 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I am in a competition at the moment which if I win will see me possessed of a 55 inch 4K television! Wish me luck! :D

Good luck in the swimsuit competition!

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Donald Binks

PostTue May 17, 2016 6:32 pm

boblipton wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:I am in a competition at the moment which if I win will see me possessed of a 55 inch 4K television! Wish me luck! :D

Good luck in the swimsuit competition!

Bob

:oops: My avoirdupois is not suited for public exhibition! (A certifiable category has not yet been created)

I have noted to give you full details of the new set after I win it. (Hint). Please note that after consultation with the instruction book, various mates, the internet and other sundry help - it will probably be about five months before I am able to get it working!
Regards from
Donald Binks

syd

PostTue May 24, 2016 8:51 am

Once you have 4K, where do you go from there?
Holograms are still an elaborate experiment.
8K,16K or 32K? Try streaming those over our present
phone lines. Virtual reality? Maybe. Steven Spielberg
recently said that he thought VR was dangerous. He was
concerned that the narrative would shift from the content
creator to the user and it would make movies as we know
them obsolete.

Return to Tech Talk