Playing Region Two dvds

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Phillyrich

Playing Region Two dvds

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I have read that it is possible to take a standard dvd player and allow it to play region-two discs by entering a code into the player, using the remote control. Can this be done, or do you have to buy a region-free player.

I also wonder if a region-free player can account for the frame rate difference in region-two PAL discs, or will the speed still be off?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Playing Region Two dvds

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Some DVD players can be made to play them with a certain code. You have to search for an online discussion recommending specific models— and telling you what code to use.

Nearly all modern DVD players should play PAL films, but I don't know if the frame rate issue is evened out or if they will play slightly sped up or slower, whichever it would be. I will say that I've never noticed the difference, if it does exist.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Spiny Norman

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 3:00 am

Google this with the number of the model.
Mike Gebert wrote:Some DVD players can be made to play them with a certain code. You have to search for an online discussion recommending specific models— and telling you what code to use.

Nearly all modern DVD players should play PAL films, but I don't know if the frame rate issue is evened out or if they will play slightly sped up or slower, whichever it would be. I will say that I've never noticed the difference, if it does exist.
The difference does exist, runtime differences (not caused by cuts) will show. I doubt if it will slow down - what if you're playing something for which 25fps is the correct speed?

For advanced use is this method of fooling the player by slightly changing a copy of the disc, but without re-encoding everything, so keeping all the menus, subtitles, etcetera: http://www.videohelp.com/guides/pal-nts ... thod-id613
This is nøt å signåture.™

wingate

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 am

Here in the UK I have played region 1 discs and NTSC tapes without any problem for years.I have never made any adjustments to any machine.

Spiny Norman

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:24 am

wingate wrote:Here in the UK I have played region 1 discs and NTSC tapes without any problem for years.I have never made any adjustments to any machine.
So far I get the impression that the other way round happens less - i.e. it's less common for those folks on the other side of the Atlantic.
This is nøt å signåture.™

SilentsPlease

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 12:46 pm

If you are in North America, you need a multi-region player that has PAL-to-NTSC conversion. If it doesn't have PAL-to-NTSC conversion, then your TV needs to be able to convert PAL to NTSC as well. Of course, you are not going to replace your TV just to have PAL display. Better to make sure the player can convert PAL to NTSC. If not, you can still get an add-on PAL-to-NTSC converter.

Marr&Colton

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Multi-region and Multi-format DVD players are available on eBay at reasonable cost.

I have two Philips DVP-642 players that can be easily "hacked" to play all regions. They also will reproduce PAL.
The hack can be found from an internet search from various forums.

I run my PAL DVDs in my home theatre through my digital projector--(virtually all newer digital projectors will
display multi-format)

Return to Tech Talk