File date modified on DVDs

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

greta de groat

File date modified on DVDs

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Another arcane question--

In our work, we are required to give a date of publication for any DVDs that we catalog, or at least a reasonable estimate. We have been hoping that the date that shows up in the Date Modified column when you look at the DVD files in Windows Explorer would be an accurate representation of either the date the file was burned or more likely the date the file was created. Most of the time when we look at these they look pretty much in line with what we would expect.

However, sometimes the file date shows as some time in the 90s, like 1993 or something, and that doesn't seem right. Worse, sometime we have a film that was done, say, in 2014 but the file date shows 2006 or some other such earlier date. Today i got one that is dated 2/6/2036. So i don't know what's going on there--do these dates actually represent something else? Is there a better way to estimate the publication date of a DVD? We get lots of undated stuff from Africa, Latin America, or small US or European producers, so they often have no package information and online information may be limited or nonexistent. Some are stamped but most are burned. The 2036 one is from a stamped DVD set by Editions Monparnasse, which is pretty mainstream for the kind of stuff i usually get (and is actually dated 2011 on the packaging, i just stuck the DVD in the drive to see what the dates looked like as i wrote this message!)

thanks
greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: File date modified on DVDs

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 3:40 pm

I would think that the official release date announced by the label-- which you should be able to find at Amazon or other sources-- would be the logical date of publication. No?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

greta de groat

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:I would think that the official release date announced by the label-- which you should be able to find at Amazon or other sources-- would be the logical date of publication. No?

For most of these, the labels have no release dates, nor are they on Amazon or any other major distribution platform online. Sometimes i can find the distribution company online but they usually have no release dates either. Usually i can't even find the company online, or if i do it's very brief information, like an online directory of businesses. If there is a website given, it's usually gone. Often i can find what looks like the company name, but it's clearly a different company.

Right now i'm cataloging DVDs of what i think is a TV series from Côte d'Ivoire called NAFI on 6 DVDs with different volumes apparently put out by different companies. The first two say 2005 on the credits, so the publication can be no earlier than that, and the Date Modified is in 2006 so that sounds reasonable. The later episodes have no dates of any kind on the screen or labels or packaging, but the Date modified is 2007. I can find information online that production was suspended as of 2010 but i don't know if that's before or after the episodes i have, which are probably edited versions anyway since the running time is much longer than the original episodes (some of which were put on youTube in 2013) but there are no internal breaks or credits, so i don't know if some have been glommed together or what.

I get lots of stuff like this ...

greta

cheers
greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

silentfilm

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 pm

It means that the computer that was used to master them did not have the clock set correctly, or at all.

Spiny Norman

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 12:58 am

There may not be a technical solution for this.

Semi-related, I once tried to find an Indian film called Sikandar e Azam (about Alexander the Great actually), but the only English subtitled edition had been so inferior that all copies had become unreadable.
It had literally completely disappeared from view on all catalogs and the entire internet. In hindsight the libraries who had it should have made a backup.
Not saying it was their fault - just warning that worldwide some DVDs may have lower technical standards.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Return to Tech Talk