120 Frames Per Second

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

boblipton

120 Frames Per Second

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Ang Lee's newest movie, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk will be projected, where the theater permits, in 3D at 120 frames per second.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/movies/ang-lee-interview-billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk.html?hpw&rref=movies&

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: 120 Frames Per Second

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 pm

“Billy Lynn” is being released in a variety of 2-D and 3-D formats, and Mr. Rothman declined to specify how many theaters would show it at its highest resolution and maximum frame rate. But he said that “almost every proper upscale multiplex, worldwide, is fully capable of showing the film.”

What I read a few weeks ago was that the 120 fps screening for the New York Film Festival takes two 60 fps projectors alternating images. Which to me means, we'll see if that even works technically, before finding out if it will play like that anywhere else.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 2:52 pm

The film reels must be enormous? !!!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure it's all digital.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 2:56 pm

I think it'd have to be! I was trying to envisage film reels of some thirty feet in diameter and the poor projectionist tending a machine that was bouncing up and down with steam coming out of it!
:D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

wich2

PostFri Oct 07, 2016 8:41 am

Shades of Doug Trumbull's old Showscan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showscan

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 2:31 pm

And speaking of Doug Trumbull:

After years of analysis, Trumbull thinks 120 fps is the optimal projection speed for digital 3-D movies. To make Magi movies, he uses two cameras or two sensors in one camera, and he photographs the left- and right-eye images at a slight offset instead of simultaneously, which is how conventional 3-D movies are made. Because one of the two camera shutters is open at any given moment, the Magi process captures all the action instead of just half of it. Trumbull then projects the movies in the same way they were shot—alternating left and right frames at 60 fps per eye—for a result that looks incredibly realistic.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6024 ... ie-theater
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

silentfilm

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Slate says, "It Looked Great. It Was Unwatchable.

Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk shows the promise and failure of high-frame-rate cinema."

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2016/10/billy_lynn_s_long_halftime_walk_looks_fantastic_it_s_also_unwatchable.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_fb_ru

Return to Tech Talk