TCM: SlingTV vs. Playstation Vue

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

mwalls

TCM: SlingTV vs. Playstation Vue

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 5:06 pm

It is finally time to cut the cord. Goodbye Directv. I have only had it for TCM, and the reason that I have not made the switch earlier was that SlingTV, which carries TCM, does not have DVR capability. So, today I tried a free trial of SlingTV and sure enough, there was TCM. Picture was very good. Sound was good. But, I just read that TCM is also on what is called Playstation Vue, and that Playstation Vue has DVR capability. Moreover, you don't have to have a Playstation to obtain the stream.

Does anyone here watch TCM on Playstation Vue? I had never heard of it before today. Can you really DVR TCM programming?

Matthew

Brooksie

Re: TCM: SlingTV vs. Playstation Vue

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 6:36 pm

mwalls wrote:Does anyone here watch TCM on Playstation Vue? I had never heard of it before today. Can you really DVR TCM programming?

Yes and no. You can 'save' a program to watch later, but it is automatically deleted after 28 days, and you can't burn anything to DVD.

I can't speak for Playstation Vue, but I've been watching TCM on Sling for nearly a year, and I have very few complaints. The picture quality is far superior to cable. I can't record things, but I couldn't on my previous cable plan either, and enough movies are available on demand for a week after showing that it doesn't really bother me.

There is a very extensive review at https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-playstation-vue/

Return to Tech Talk