Blu-ray ripping software

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Saint-Just

Blu-ray ripping software

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Does anyone know of a good program for ripping Blu-rays for the purpose of editing/cleanup or, for a few silents I have, replacing bad scores for good ones? I have a Blu-ray burner and could make BD-R discs if I can get the files off a commercial Blu-ray.

moviepas

Re: Blu-ray ripping software

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Nick_M

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 3:09 am

I'm a big fan of DVDfab Passkey for Blu-ray. Once it loads the disc, you right-click the tray icon->"Rip to Hard Disk," and it'll copy the disk to your drive without any re-encoding.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:32 pm

I gave up on trying to do Blu-Ray burning....you have to have a VERY deluxe and fast computer with a lot of memory and
the Blu-ray blank discs are expensive. For classics, I stick to buying Blu-Ray and working with super nice transfers on DVD.

Great Hierophant

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 pm

I use MakeMKV to rip Blu-rays to files. There are programs that can put an MKV back on a Blu-ray, but I find streaming preferable to discs.

All Darc

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 pm

I really don't believe that a Blu Ray can hold a sharp image with many image scenes changes, moviments, gradients, without creat digital artefacts or without lose fine textures, and still display many shadow details.
The encoding used in Blu Ray can hold more in the same space than the usual DVD's MPEG2, but it also kill more details, hold less tonalities in shadows and are more prone to bad gradientes.

The relation between original details and lost details during encoding, it's worse for Blu-Rays than forDVDs. Even worse in 4K files. I imagine what shamefull imagedegradation will be for 8K. But anyways people don't have decent display to see image details, as 4K needs distance to avoid distortions of crap LDC/LED displays and such distance make the pixels, the 4K resolution to far away to really be noticed well. In 8K display for 8K files... even worse as the required distance will make the 8K resolution not visible. Anyway most the details will be blured os lost in encoding
So one crap technology washs the hand of another crap technology.

So a really good ripping software for Blu Ray? I really don't think this even exists.
Keep thinking...

Return to Tech Talk