Digitizing CD/DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

NotSoSilent

Digitizing CD/DVD/Blu-ray Collection

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 am

Like many of you I have one foot in the past and one in the present. I love old films and music, but finding my collection getting out of hand and taking up too much space. Additionally, it seems a bit outdated to change out CDs in a car, especially one that can sync digital media. Anyway, I am wondering what solutions, if any, people here have found helpful. There are various services I found online that will rip CDs for you and some who will store them for you on the cloud. My main goal is to take my CD collection and digitize it so I can listen to it on all current devices.

What about DVDs/Blu-rays? I start getting heartburn thinking that this is copying or duplicating copyrighted work, but I would love to be able to back-up and protect my collection while making it easier to view on multiple devices. My CD collection, however, is my first priority. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Spiny Norman

Re: Digitizing CD/DVD/Blu-ray Collection

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Many services already exist in the could, such as spotify. In some ways it would seem useless to duplicate that.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Nick_M

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 am

Here's an antacid for your heartburn: https://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php. Go straight to point 4. Nobody cares if you're copying for personal use. If you still worry, then be smart and don't say anything. The alternative is buying multiple copies of things you already own, which is stupid.

To copy BDs, I use DVDFab Passkey. Some friends use MakeMKV, which is supposed to be very simple to use. I suggest taking a look at VideoHelp.

For your CD collection, rip it yourself and use an AUX cable with your phone or a media player, like a Cowon or iPod. Chromecast Audio will stream from the phone to the dongle over Wi-Fi.

SilentsPlease

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 pm

NotSoSilent wrote:Like many of you I have one foot in the past and one in the present. I love old films and music, but finding my collection getting out of hand and taking up too much space. Additionally, it seems a bit outdated to change out CDs in a car, especially one that can sync digital media. Anyway, I am wondering what solutions, if any, people here have found helpful. There are various services I found online that will rip CDs for you and some who will store them for you on the cloud. My main goal is to take my CD collection and digitize it so I can listen to it on all current devices.

What about DVDs/Blu-rays? I start getting heartburn thinking that this is copying or duplicating copyrighted work, but I would love to be able to back-up and protect my collection while making it easier to view on multiple devices. My CD collection, however, is my first priority. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Windows PCs come with Windows Media Player, which you can use to rip CDs to MP3 files. As for movie discs, there are tools to rip them, but they are not entirely legal. AnyDVD is the one many people use, but it is expensive, and its company's future is very uncertain due to the legal troubles caused by AnyDVD, so I can't really recommend it to you. If you hope to rip them so you can view them on multiple devices, I hate to tell you this, but there is no way other than buying digital versions of the movies. There is one cost-saving way: use this disc-to-digital service to convert your existing DVDs and BDs into digital versions for a cost of $5 per DVD and $2 per BD. It is still not cheap if you have a lot of discs, but that is the only legal way.

Brooksie

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm

A related question: is there a good piece of software that facilitates the showing of movies? Say I wanted to recreate a typical double bill with cartoon, newsreel and short plus two features - is there some way to either sync up the media from different DVDs, or copy the media to a computer and then play it in the correct sequence?

Donald Binks

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Brooksie wrote:A related question: is there a good piece of software that facilitates the showing of movies? Say I wanted to recreate a typical double bill with cartoon, newsreel and short plus two features - is there some way to either sync up the media from different DVDs, or copy the media to a computer and then play it in the correct sequence?

I use "ConvertXtoDVD". You would have to copy the ISO files from the DVD to your hard disk and then pick up the files you wanted and put them into this software and make up a new DVD. (I did something like you want to do recently when I was putting on a film show at the local hall). PM me if you need further details.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

SilentsPlease

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am

Donald Binks wrote:
Brooksie wrote:A related question: is there a good piece of software that facilitates the showing of movies? Say I wanted to recreate a typical double bill with cartoon, newsreel and short plus two features - is there some way to either sync up the media from different DVDs, or copy the media to a computer and then play it in the correct sequence?

I use "ConvertXtoDVD". You would have to copy the ISO files from the DVD to your hard disk and then pick up the files you wanted and put them into this software and make up a new DVD. (I did something like you want to do recently when I was putting on a film show at the local hall). PM me if you need further details.

To convert videos to DVD, there are many freewares, such as DVD Flick, so you don't a payware like ConvertXtoDVD. To the original question, the solution is actually the reverse: he needs to convert DVDs to videos (mp4), then use any video player that has a playlist feature, such as VLC, and create a video playlist. But as I said earlier, converting DVDs to videos involves breaking the DVD's copy protection with quasi-legal tool like AnyDVD.

Return to Tech Talk