Digital Theater. A Hoax ??? Just a big TV ???

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

All Darc

Digital Theater. A Hoax ??? Just a big TV ???

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 am

I would like to rais e a thematic about digital theater, digital projection, the quality of the projector used and the digital files used for the films.
Some people clains some digital theater can be just like watch a HD blu ray.

Tell me about your experience...

We see technology for 4K TV and 4K blu Rays (despite mostly converted form 2K mastes), but theater with just 2K resolution and even some arfects noticeable here and there.
Sounds like a joke...
Keep thinking...

fwtep

Re: Digital Theater. A Hoax ??? Just a big TV ???

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 am

2K and 4k both look spectacular in a theater.

MoviecollectorOH

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Apples and oranges. In our theaters they do pre-show commercials on a consumer-cost-affordable-grade projector, and the difference is like night and day when they turn on their consumer-cost-prohibitive-grade projector. :lol:

Unfortunately smaller theaters go out of business over the price of these things...

P.S. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these high end theater projectors would probably make SD (720x480) video look spectacular.
Last edited by MoviecollectorOH on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolcatdaddy

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I still remember the 90s when some universities would show projected laserdiscs, rather than 16mm prints, in auditorium settings for their revival film series for classes. With line doubling and everything set up just right, it could look quite good.

All Darc

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am

Yes, laserdisc can look godd. Even a prime VHS (if top quality recorded from great master wel telecined ) looked acceptable in a good CRT TV. VHS recorded from a great DVD looks fine on CRT.

What I tried to say is that they advertise something as perfect and way better than chemical film, they must do it right.

I can watch a prime VHS on a CRT TV. But I cannot watch HD broadcast with waxy details and a whole bunch of artefacts and insane lost of details with motion (even medium motion).

I just do not accept a hoax. If you pay me 100 dolars to watch HD broadcast like that on a LCD/LED screen for two weaks, I will refuse.

Would you like to pay for a 35mm print and receive a 16mm print ?
Would you like to watch a print in 5mm that change to 16mm or less during any motiong scene ?
That's how I feel all these digital HD broadcast...
Last edited by All Darc on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

Arndt

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 am

All Darc wrote: If you pay me 100 dolars to watch HD broadcast like taht on a LCD/LED screen for two weaks, I will refuse.

Has anybody made you such an offer? Because I would be up for it. Like a shot, in fact.
MELIOR

All Darc

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 am

Would you be up to accept the offer or to make a offer.
I would not accept. Honestly, I cannot tollerate the plus of LCD/LED + Digital garbage HD broacast. I tried, but it irritates me a lot.

Have you ever heard about Elvis and the story about he shoot a TV ??? Well, I feel like Elvis when I watch these things... :lol:

Arndt wrote:
All Darc wrote: If you pay me 100 dolars to watch HD broadcast like taht on a LCD/LED screen for two weaks, I will refuse.

Has anybody made you such an offer? Because I would be up for it. Like a shot, in fact.
Keep thinking...

Return to Tech Talk