all-region dvd-r?

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Harlett O'Dowd

all-region dvd-r?

PostSat Nov 29, 2008 7:57 pm

this is a request for information, not an offer.

My Panasonic DMR-ES35V DVD-r is acting up and is probably on its last legs (right before the holidays which is good/bad but also right before the Anita Page day and The Godless Girl on TCM which is ungood in a very big way.)

Anyway, this will be the second Panasonic I have driven into the ground inside of 5 years, so when it needs to be replaced, I will be looking at other models.

I probably should look at something with a hard drive so I will have less underrecording fiascos of TCM silents to make me pull my hair out - but the last time I looked they were *quite* expensive and I am *very* cheap.

In addition, as long as I'm in the market, I should probably look into all-region player/recorders as well. I have a couple of PAL DVDs I can only view on my laptop. If I can get a recorder that will play PAL too for not much more of an investment, that's worth considering.

But ultimately, I need something that will last for more than two-three years before going belly-up.

Granted, I tape a lot off of TCM, but I don't tape THAT much, but apparently more than the poor panasonic can muster. Anybody out there with any advice of what to look for, what to avoid, etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Salty Dog

Re: all-region dvd-r?

PostThu Dec 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Well, I have 2 Lite-On recorders, (an 1107 and an 1105) which I have been recording on pretty heavily for about a year, and knock on wood, they are still working, and I was able to set them at region free with a couple of clicks of the remote...as a matter of fact, I just watched the new Eureka L'Argent on one last week (a great film and print, btw).

They don't have hard drives. They were pretty reasonably priced, both about $100-120. I am not sure if those particular models are still available, but if I have to get another I'd probably look at that manufacturer first.

As a comparison, the Panasonic DMR-ES15 which I got only 7 months ago, and which was great for flexible recording, has died already and I am in the process of trying to get it repaired by them.

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:this is a request for information, not an offer.

My Panasonic DMR-ES35V DVD-r is acting up and is probably on its last legs (right before the holidays which is good/bad but also right before the Anita Page day and The Godless Girl on TCM which is ungood in a very big way.)

Anyway, this will be the second Panasonic I have driven into the ground inside of 5 years, so when it needs to be replaced, I will be looking at other models.

I probably should look at something with a hard drive so I will have less underrecording fiascos of TCM silents to make me pull my hair out - but the last time I looked they were *quite* expensive and I am *very* cheap.

In addition, as long as I'm in the market, I should probably look into all-region player/recorders as well. I have a couple of PAL DVDs I can only view on my laptop. If I can get a recorder that will play PAL too for not much more of an investment, that's worth considering.

But ultimately, I need something that will last for more than two-three years before going belly-up.

Granted, I tape a lot off of TCM, but I don't tape THAT much, but apparently more than the poor panasonic can muster. Anybody out there with any advice of what to look for, what to avoid, etc.

Many thanks in advance,
Bill Coleman

Danny Burk

PostThu Dec 04, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm not aware of a DVDR model that includes a hard drive AND is region-free. That's part of the reason why I have so many varied recorders and players lodged under my televion, from Beta up to a recent Blu-Ray :)

My first DVDR was a Panasonic DMR-E80H. I still use it for its hard drive (recording TCM, etc) but it has a problem copying from HD to DVD so I got a Toshiba recorder (without HD) to copy from Panasonic HD to Toshiba DVDR. Since that time, recorders with HD have again become available at a reasonable price (around $200 or a little more), but I haven't seen any that are also region free.

For the latter, I have an Oppo, which I'd highly recommend. Obviously it's only a player, but is very high quality at a reasonable price. I paid around $200 for it from Amazon a few years ago; its playback quality is vastly superior to the cheapie Daewoo RF unit that I'd previously bought from Sam's Club.

James Bazen

Re: all-region dvd-r?

PostSun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 am

Hey Harlett,

I don't know how much I can help, but I have a Phillips DVDR3576H/37. This machine came recommended to me by Danny Burk. My machine has a hard drive. In the SP mode, I can store about 66 hours worth of material on the hard drive, and then dub it later onto disc. It also has the option of recording a DVD onto the hard drive that I can then dub onto another disc.

I can't really say anything about longevity as I've only had this machine since October. So far, I've been using it mainly to transfer all of my VHS tapes to DVD. But so far, I'm very happy with it. It did cost me about $350. I got it from Amazon.

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:this is a request for information, not an offer.

Many thanks in advance,

Jim Roots

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 am

Seems Panasonic is not a particularly reliable or long-lasting player?

I have two RCA's. One is fine after, gosh, I think it must be five years now. The other one I gave to my teenage son, and after a year he reported the audio no longer worked. Who knows what he did to it? Anyway, since I have no use for audio myself, I swapped machines with him, and neither of us have complained since then.

I also picked up a DVD-VHS player made by some Chinese company whose name escapes me. The remote control died far too easily, but other than that, I have no complaints about it. It's been in heavy usage in my house for three years now.

Jim

Jim Roots

PostTue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 am

Jim Roots wrote:Seems Panasonic is not a particularly reliable or long-lasting player?

I have two RCA's. One is fine after, gosh, I think it must be five years now. The other one I gave to my teenage son, and after a year he reported the audio no longer worked. Who knows what he did to it? Anyway, since I have no use for audio myself, I swapped machines with him, and neither of us have complained since then.

I also picked up a DVD-VHS player made by some Chinese company whose name escapes me. The remote control died far too easily, but other than that, I have no complaints about it. It's been in heavy usage in my house for three years now.

Jim

Boy, did I ever screw up that posting!

The brand of which I have two is Toshiba. The combo VHS-DVD is RCA.

It pays to check yer facks!

Jim

Return to Tech Talk