Getting Technicolor Effect

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

luciano

Getting Technicolor Effect

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Just curious about how to go about getting a Technicolor “look”. By that I mean the violet flashes that come from shining lights, silver dishes, swords (Robin Hood), etc. I will be shooting the footage digitally in 4K.

Robin Hood Screenshot:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... u-ray9.jpg

Richard P. May

Re: Getting Technicolor Effect

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 8:34 am

This is a guess, but it it possible that the fact that the light had to pass thru a beam-splitter prism to expose three rolls of film at the same time caused this glare.
There might be filters available today that can replicate it, but at the same time might cut the sharpness of the image.
Dick May

MoviecollectorOH

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 am

Maybe that was a subtle yet unintentional polarization effect?

All Darc

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 8:13 am

What technicolor effect ?

DVD Beaver captures represent a digital video atempt of studios to try something saturated, but it's not a technicolor itself.

Many vintage technicolor prints from 30's looks pretty bad, contrasting, yellowed, poor definition.

The movie the eviator tried to recreate some technicolor, two color and three color, but I found very different. There was a video explaning the digital fiulters used to try recreate the effects, but I supose it was removed from youtube, since I can't find it again.
Keep thinking...

Donald Binks

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 2:13 pm

All Darc wrote:The movie the eviator tried to recreate some technicolor, two color and three color,...

Funny, when I saw "The Aviator" I remember quite distinctly turning to my son (with whom I viewed the picture), "It looks like he's photographed this in the old two-colour Technicolor." Saying it at the time, I just wondered why the colour rendition was "all wrong". I hadn't at the time cottoned on to the fact that it might have been done for artistic reasons.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Nick_M

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 8:53 pm

See http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/technicolor7.htm for a diagram.

Glare with red halos happens because, in the camera, the red layer is exposed behind the blue layer. Blue and green are equally sharp, but the red layer is comparatively blurry.

luciano

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 am

All Darc wrote:Many vintage technicolor prints from 30's looks pretty bad, contrasting, yellowed, poor definition.

The movie the aviator tried to recreate some technicolor, two color and three color, but I found very different. There was a video explaning the digital filters used to try recreate the effects, but I supose it was removed from youtube, since I can't find it again.

The Aviator was more 2 strip in tones. I saw a Technicolor print of Black Narcissus at TCM and I understand what you mean. It wasn't a bad print, but it's blacks were quite velvety and the color was warmer than expected. However this halo effect seems to happen regardless. It is an in-camera issue.

Nick_M wrote:See http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/technicolor7.htm for a diagram.

Glare with red halos happens because, in the camera, the red layer is exposed behind the blue layer. Blue and green are equally sharp, but the red layer is comparatively blurry.

This is what I've read. I might just have to re-create this with overlays, since optical methods for digital seem slim.

All Darc

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 5:37 am

Sorry for use "e" instead of "A", for Aviator. I happens when typing fast, cutting and editing text to reduce size. Aviator it's almost the same word in portuguese, "Aviador", my language.

The two color technicolor effect used in Thew Aviator was a poor recreation, getting just the red and green channels, while 2 color technicolor had a orange and a cyan filter, and not pure red and pure green filters.
The colorized footage, the few scenes of stock footage from Hell's ANgels premiere, were colorized in normal 3 color base look, and converted in the same way to the poor recreation of two color technicolor. The boss of the colorization company told that desaprooved the two color simulation.

The saturated technicolor look it's given by the dyes in the dye transfer printing process and not by the technicolor camera.
Keep thinking...

Jack Theakston

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 pm

A cheap way of doing this is to overlight the scene, but also have a spot that has a magenta filter on it focused at whatever it is that you want to reflect.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Tech Talk