DVR recomendation

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Harlett O'Dowd

DVR recomendation

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm

I think it may be time to stop renting my DVR,

Any suggestions/warnings about purchasing my own?

Petebain

Re: DVR recomendation

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pm

We have used a Magnavox for over 2 years with no problems. It was especially nice to use it to burn dvdrs until TCM started copy protecting their programming.

Danny Burk

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 2:56 pm

TCM isn't applying copyguard; I burn discs from their broadcasts all the time.

I don't remember details, but it was discussed previously that it's the fault of the cable provider. AT&T? I have Comcast and it's fine.

Richard P. May

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 am

I am sort of loaded with recording devices, all of which work properly.
As part of the Spectrum package, two cable boxes with DVR.
Separately, a Magnavox connected to one of the cable boxes, which will record either on disc or its own internal hard drive.
The other is an older Panasonic that will record either disc or tape as well as copying tape to disc to update older items.
Dropping the Spectrum DVR would still require subscription to their cable box to receive programming.
I've never had a problem with TCM being recordable.
The reason for all this redundancy is sometimes when recording, programs will be at the same or overlapping times. After making the recording, it might be preferable to play back in a different room than where it was recorded, so recording to a reusable disc is convenient. I have found the DVD-R discs have a very long, dependable, life.
Dick May

Petebain

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Apparently my cable provider is copy protecting TCM. I am hardly a pirate but it was nice to archive some of the things that I saved. Ah well.

Donald Binks

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm

I have 2 Pioneer DVR560HX machines. One is a slightly newer model than the other. I have now had the first for over a decade and nothing has gone wrong. The second is a little younger. Both will upscale DVD's to 1080i and the later model will allow the insertion of a stick in order to play video. I could not recommend this brand higher.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Return to Tech Talk