Technicolor tech...all lost?

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Technicolor tech...all lost?

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 am

If they wanted to do a film in Technicolor, could they recreate the process from its heyday? Or has the tech been all lost?

Richard P. May

Re: Technicolor tech...all lost?

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am

Not lost, but completely impractical. It would require obtaining and learning to use the 3-strip camera. After processing the three reels of black and white film, making the printing matrices (film for which would have to be manufactured), building the transfer machines to put the three dye images on a final receiving film (not manufactured). Several years ago Technicolor underwent a major project to revive dye-transfer printing. I won't go into the problems, but needless to say it didn't work out.
Dick May

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Re: Technicolor tech...all lost?

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

Well, sounds like it is 'kinda lost' then. We may know the tech...but doing it is something else.

I think it is the same with the early color autochromes. I don't think anyone reproduces the technique.

Isn't it something how they banged out Technicolor films left and right. Nowadays they can't even do one.

Return to Tech Talk