Cataloging your disc collection electronically

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

s.w.a.c.

Cataloging your disc collection electronically

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 am

Just learned this morning that the app/software DVD Profiler from Invelos.com, and its online database, are kaput, while I was trying to input my most recent acquisitions. Looks like I'll have to find a new app/program and start from scratch, a process I am dreading.

Does anyone have a preference for software for cataloguing their collections? Blu-ray.com has one that might be the way to go, since the website seems to be a going concern unlike Invelos (which developed its software for retail use, hence the steep drop-off in its user base I'm guessing). But I'd prefer to find the best solution before I start filling my living room with stacks of discs to scan and/or enter again.

Any tips would be appreciated!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Danny Burk

Re: Cataloging your disc collection electronically

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 9:01 am

I use Excel. I already had it, and it's very simple for this purpose. I divide it into 10 columns, sorted A-Z by title: title, year, studio, director, star x 3, comments, a box to check if it's a silent, and "item number". The latter indicates simply DVD or BR if it's a commercial release, because I shelve them alphabetically and can easily find them.

For things I've recorded myself, they're coded with a number since I'd never find them otherwise; DVDs are kept in 4-per-page storage books and VHS/Beta (!) tapes are shelved, all numbered in the order in which they were recorded. In the Excel list, these numbers are prefixed by D, BR, V, or B, making it easy to locate them in a moment. For example, if I want to find a DVD that I recorded, I'll find the title, then look at the item number column and see that it's "D1525". It's then simple to find it in the storage book within a few seconds.

I have 4 such lists: features, shorts, cartoons, and TV.

Paul Penna

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 9:34 am

I've been using the database application Filemaker since the late 1980s and my current version of my file traces its origin all the way back to that. I've got it to track and report just about everything, but gradually the program itself has gotten more and more complicated, albeit more powerful. It was a challenge back when it was easier to use and my brain was 30 years younger; I don't think I could start from scratch with it today. Fortunately I've been able to migrate my files to the newer versions as they've come out.

R Michael Pyle

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 pm

I created a database in Access back in the late '80's, and I still use it. It works perfectly, and you can create queries for anything in any category and save them for future use if you wish. It's ingenious, and it's not necessarily easy to learn, but it's worth it to me. I've nearly 10,000 films cataloged that I own, and a few others I wished to catalogue.

Donald Binks

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm

"ALL MY MOVIES" works wonderfully for me.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Paul Penna

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Just learned this morning that the app/software DVD Profiler from Invelos.com, and its online database, are kaput, while I was trying to input my most recent acquisitions.

Members on the Home Theater Forum were reporting this morning that they couldn't reach the site, but now say it's back up. I followed their link to Invelos and it worked.

MoviecollectorOH

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 am

Another thumbs up for Filemaker. See my signature line. This entire project is all under one hood with an older version (Filemaker Pro Advanced 9 - circa 2005-2007). It also has some help from 360 Works Scriptmaster, a free plug-in to extend functionality (mainly networking and disc operations for me). What I have done would take a hell of a lot of figuring out for the beginner, but the good news is Filemaker is designed to be easy to use out of the box for beginners, and after all these years for me it keeps on keeping on... The later versions have added support for new platforms, a better server-client model, and some other updates. Not much new in ten years in terms of actual database functions. Pricing is about the same ten years+ later. Current version is 16:
http://info2.filemaker.com/FM16-Trial-Download-LP.html

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Paul Penna wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Just learned this morning that the app/software DVD Profiler from Invelos.com, and its online database, are kaput, while I was trying to input my most recent acquisitions.

Members on the Home Theater Forum were reporting this morning that they couldn't reach the site, but now say it's back up. I followed their link to Invelos and it worked.

Thanks for the heads up! At least I can finally synch what's catalogued so far on my phone with my PC, which I couldn't do while their system was down.

I'm well into recataloguing my blu-rays with the Blu-Ray.com app, and I'm fairly pleased with it up to this point, so I may keep Invelos' DVD Profile for my DVD collection for the time being as I'm not really adding much to it at the moment, and continue with Blu-Ray.com for the BDs. One thing that always annoyed me about DVD Profiler was when you removed a title from your collection, the next DVD you entered would be be slotted into that former title's collection #, which would be a pain when you're attempting to find something according to where it would be filed on the shelves. But I guess no system is perfect.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

silentfilm

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 4:07 pm

I use the app "My Movies" for iPad and iPhone. You can just scan the UPC code on each disk cover to add the disk to your collection. You can try a free version first, and then buy the app cheaply to add your entire collection.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-movies-pro-movie-tv/id917555054?mt=8

Nick_M

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:59 am

You should seriously consider using database software, or software that you control, instead of starting an inventory on another online-only platform. You already lost one online-only inventory, and are dreading inputting everything again. Why would you risk it once more?

I use Microsoft Access, which I use to log all my things.

countryslicker

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

IMHO using some sort of database is much safer than any online method. For several years I've been using "Movie Collector" from Collectorz.com on my Mac and my Android tablet and mobile (cell) phone. There are other versions available for PC, iPad and iPhone. Extremely happy with what it does. My collection is getting quite large now - the software has been especially handy as I can also have the app and full database on my phone just in case I can't remember when out shopping if I already own a copy of a a particular movie. Well worth considering.

Danny Burk

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Agreed - I also won't use a ready-made solution that could be discontinued anytime. Originally I used Access, but when it was omitted from the new version of Office that I wanted to get, I experimented with Excel and found that it worked just as well for my needs.

SilentsPlease

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Nick_M wrote:You should seriously consider using database software, or software that you control, instead of starting an inventory on another online-only platform. You already lost one online-only inventory, and are dreading inputting everything again. Why would you risk it once more?

Database programs like Access are far more complicated, so it's not practical for average users. I use Access to catalog my collection too, but I would still recommend average users to use DVD Profiler, the best of its kind.

My collection catalog contains far more info than DVD Profiler, such as Leonard Maltin and Pauline Kael reviews, and "disc credits," which are the people who do audio commentaries, video essays, etc., for disc supplements. Anything I want to search for in the catalog, I put it in. That leads to more data entry, of course. But I can automate many of the tasks with Access programming. For instance, I can import IMDb cast and crew automatically with just one mouse click.

I used to use Excel to keep a list of all of titles in my collection. But then I needed to add cast and crew and be able to link titles and cast/crew back and forth (i.e. cross-referencing). Only with database can you do that.
Last edited by SilentsPlease on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Penna

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 1:42 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:Database programs like Access are far more complicated, so it's not practical for average users. I use Access to catalog my collection too, but I would still recommend average users to use DVD Profiler, the best of its kind.

Right. Creating a database with program like Access, or in my case FileMaker, is a hobby unto itself.

MaryGH

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am

SilentsPlease wrote:
Nick_M wrote:You should seriously consider using database software, or software that you control, instead of starting an inventory on another online-only platform. You already lost one online-only inventory, and are dreading inputting everything again. Why would you risk it once more?

Database programs like Access are far more complicated, so it's not practical for average users. I use Access to catalog my collection too, but I would still recommend average users to use DVD Profiler, the best of its kind.

My collection catalog contains far more info than DVD Profiler, such as Leonard Maltin and Pauline Kael reviews, and "disc credits," which are the people who do audio commentaries, video essays, etc., for disc supplements. Anything I want to search for in the catalog, I put it in. That leads to more data entry, of course. But I can automate many of the tasks with Access programming. For instance, I can import IMDb cast and crew automatically with just one mouse click.

I used to use Excel to keep a list of all of titles in my collection. But then I needed to add cast and crew and be able to link titles and cast/crew back and forth (i.e. cross-referencing). Only with database can you do that.

If you have the resources, I can recommend PastPerfect.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

SilentsPlease

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

Danny Burk wrote:I use Excel. I already had it, and it's very simple for this purpose. I divide it into 10 columns, sorted A-Z by title: title, year, studio, director, star x 3, comments, a box to check if it's a silent, and "item number".

Donald Binks wrote:"ALL MY MOVIES" works wonderfully for me.

Most of the commercial collection software like All My Movies, Collectorz, Ant Movie Collection, Eric's Movie Database, My Movies Collection, etc. (and I've tried them all), all have one flaw which I find fatal: they don't include enough people in the cast and crew. Directors are always included, but often not writers and producers. Only the first few notable actors are included. But if an actor appeared in a minor role long before he or she became famous, he or she wouldn't be included. Important technicians like composers, visual effect artists, art directors, etc., are almost always not included. So you can't look up movies by Ray Harryhausen, Bernard Herrmann, Edith Head, etc.? You can't even enter them manually yourself if you want to, because the programs don't have a place for them for you to enter. Some of these programs have "misc user info" fields for you the enter extra info, but good luck with that, since they don't help you with your searches. EVERY DATA (datum?) you enter that you have no way of search for, it is WASTED time and effort on your part. What is the point of having a collection of 10,000 movies if you don't have a way to find some of them? It would be as if the titles didn't exist in your collection. And that would be sad for someone who owns a large collection that has probably taken you a lifetime of effort to achieve.

Among the aforementioned software, only DVD Profiler seems to have the ability to include the most complete cast/crew entries as in IMDb. But sadly, DVD Profiler is one the few programs that does not have built-in ability to import IMDb cast and crew. You have to install a third-party plug-in and perform a lot of mouse-clicks and copying-and-pasting to add IMDb cast and crew. DVD Profiler also has the shortcoming of not being able to import "uncredited crew" shown on IMDb, even though it can import uncredited cast.

This is a major reason why I created my own Access catalog database. I realized this a few years ago and decided to include as many cast and crew people, just like the info on IMDb, in my database so that I can search and cross-reference any person. I programmed it to import automatically the often very long lists of cast and crew, and be able to cross-reference. That way I don't miss a thing when I search. I also include info on disc supplements: if a disc includes notable short films and feature films that are found on IMDb, I include their IMDb info (and cast/crew) in my database so I can search for them as well.

One thing that nobody I know has ever done is include the people who do audio commentaries, visual essays, interviews, etc. in the collection database, things that are found on discs but not on IMDb, but important enough and plentiful enough data that I need a way to search for who has done what.

And finally, my database can be accessed on the web (via a web interface that I also programmed) so I can search my collection anywhere I go. Winhost has unlimited hosting of Access database in all its plans, the cheapest of which costs $4 a month. This "cloud feature" can also be found on Collectorz, but it costs extra. DVD Profiler has a sort of "mobile feature", but all it does is copy your entire gigabytes worth of your collection data to your mobile device.
Last edited by SilentsPlease on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 11:49 am

MaryGH wrote:If you have the resources, I can recommend PastPerfect.

The only people who would get this are those who run a store, warehouse, library, museum, things of that nature. $600 is actually cheap for something you need for a business. But I think some of these people would get customized management tools that come with support and software updates. I work in a business that also has a warehouse, and we use services from a company that actually gave us their customized software for free, and only charge us for the customization, plus services and updates. Running a business is a complicated thing, and you can't rely on off-the-shelf programs that possibly can't be customized.

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 1:00 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:Most of the commercial collection software like All My Movies, Collectorz, Ant Movie Collection, Eric's Movie Database, My Movies Collection, etc. (and I've tried them all), all have one flaw which I find fatal: they don't include enough people in the cast and crew. Directors are always included, but often not writers and producers. Only the first few notable actors are included. But if an actor appeared in a minor role long before he or she became famous, he or she wouldn't be included. Important technicians like composers, visual effect artists, art directors, etc., are almost always not included. So you can't look up movies by Ray Harryhausen, Bernard Herrmann, Edith Head, etc.? You can't even enter them manually yourself if you want to, because the programs don't have a place for them for you to enter. Some of these programs have "misc user info" fields for you the enter extra info, but good luck with that, since they don't help you with your searches. EVERY DATA (datum?) you enter that you have no way of search for, it is WASTED time and effort on your part. What is the point of having a collection of 10,000 movies if you don't have a way to find some of them? It would be as if the titles didn't exist in your collection. And that would be sad for someone who owns a large collection that has probably taken you a lifetime of effort to achieve.

Among the aforementioned software, only DVD Profiler seems to have the ability to include the most complete cast/crew entries as in IMDb. But sadly, DVD Profiler is one the few programs that does not have built-in ability to import IMDb cast and crew. You have to install a third-party plug-in and perform a lot of mouse-clicks and copying-and-pasting to add IMDb cast and crew. DVD Profiler also has the shortcoming of not being able to import "uncredited crew" shown on IMDb, even though it can import uncredited cast.

This is a major reason why I created my own Access catalog database
. I realized this a few years ago and decided to include as many cast and crew people, just like the info on IMDb, in my database so that I can search and cross-reference any person. I programmed it to import automatically the often very long lists of cast and crew, and be able to cross-reference. That way I don't miss a thing when I search. I also include info on disc supplements: if a disc includes notable short films and feature films that are found on IMDb, I include their IMDb info (and cast/crew) in my database so I can search for them as well.

And finally, my database can be accessed on the web (via a web interface that I also programmed) so I can search my collection anywhere I go. Winhost has unlimited hosting of Access database in all its plans, the cheapest of which costs $4 a month. This "cloud feature" can also be found on Collectorz, but it costs extra. DVD Profiler has a sort of "mobile feature", but all it does is copy your entire gigabytes worth of your collection data to your mobile device.

Most of your reasons are why I, too, have a database in Access. I have nearly 300 queries besides which are their own databases for single actors or Poirot films or combinations of Bogart and Bacall and so forth and so on. I have 20 spaces for actors/actresses alone for each film; spaces for director, time, release date, and so on. It's served me well for about 30 years, and I've tweaked it here and there.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Most of your reasons are why I, too, have a database in Access. I have nearly 300 queries besides which are their own databases for single actors or Poirot films or combinations of Bogart and Bacall and so forth and so on. I have 20 spaces for actors/actresses alone for each film; spaces for director, time, release date, and so on. It's served me well for about 30 years, and I've tweaked it here and there.

A database should ideally allow you to store as many cast/crew people as you need, rather than having a fixed limit. Having 20 cast/crew members is enough for most films, but not if it is for a Robert Altman movie, or any title with a large cast. In Access or any relational database, the only way to not pose any limit on the number of cast and crew is to have a table with each person entered as a row, because there is no row limit (whereas there is a 255-column limit in Access). In fact, you can include all cast and crew, even directors, in a single table, each person denoted with a department in each row. This is the way I do it, and from the layout of IMDb cast/crew pages, this is probably the same way IMDb does it too. It makes for a much more flexible and efficient database:

Code: Select all
IMDB Title ID   Line no.   Person Dept   Person ID    Name             Role
105151          1          cast          209          Tim Robbins      Griffin Mill
105151          2          cast          627          Greta Scacchi    June Gudmundsdottir
105151          3          cast          911542       Fred Ward        Walter Stuckel
105151          4          cast          155          Whoopi Goldberg  Detective Avery
105151          5          cast          1251         Peter Gallagher  Larry Levy
105151          106        director      265          Robert Altman   
105151          107        producer      111225       Cary Brokaw   
105151          108        producer      113360       David Brown

greta de groat

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

How do you export/import records from IMDB? Does it export in XML? I'm not seeing anything in their help section.

I've used PastPerfect, and it's clunky but can be made to work. I've never tried to import data but i believe it can be done. I used the "Library" catalog instead of the "Archive" catalog as PastPerfect help staff suggested, since "Library" did not have a limit on names. Did they ever develop a film module? They had not as of last i'd used it.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Donald Binks

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 pm

If I may speak in defence of "All my Movies"?

For those who, like me, are "small time operators" who don't want to know everyone on the film including the tea-lady and who wish to catalogue their collection in a cheap and efficient manner without having to do too much work in doing so, it is quite wonderful.

Here is a screenshot:-

I find the software handy for when I am looking at getting another DVD - it ensures I am not getting one I already have. It also gives me a sufficient snapshot of each picture and includes room for a photo which I use to get a poster.

(I don't mean to cast aspersions on those who desire fuller information)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Paul Penna

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:07 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:One thing that nobody I know has ever done is include the people who do audio commentaries, visual essays, interviews, etc. in the collection database, things that are found on discs but not on IMDb, but important enough and plentiful enough data that I need a way to search for who has done what.

[Raises hand] Commentary is one of the fields I created in my Filemaker features database, along with any bonus features I'm interested in. That's a major benefit of the do-it-yourself method: ability to keep track of things of particular interest to yourself. For example, I can call up films that are set in or have location footage shot in San Francisco. One could do the same for Murphy beds, naturally.

As far as the IMDb is concerned, I've cut back on the number of credits I manually enter therefrom - the only way you could do it way back in the early days of my database (which in fact predates the imdb's existence), and I may cut back more. Since I can run my database on my iPad I have an IMDb link for each film that takes me right there with just a finger tap. I also just started adding a links to the AFI catalog entry for USA productions. Comes in handy when you're watching a film and can't dredge up that familiar guy's name.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:39 pm

greta de groat wrote:How do you export/import records from IMDB? Does it export in XML? I'm not seeing anything in their help section.

greta

IMDb provides some downloadable plain text data here that may be enough for some people, but they only provide "principal" cast and crew, so that's not good enough for me. Many people, including myself, use a programming technique called "web-scraping" to obtain the exact data you see on the IMDb cast and crew webpages. The technique involves looking through the HTML code of a webpage and programmatically glean out all the data. If done right, the process is lightning fast, since a webpage usually only has a few kilobytes of data.

For non-programmers, DVD Profiler has a free plugin called "Cast & Crew Edit 2" that automatically imports cast and crew using the same web-scraping method. The only snag you would hit is when IMDb changes its webpage layout, which happens quite often. Then the web-scraping program code would have to be rewritten.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Paul Penna wrote:
SilentsPlease wrote:One thing that nobody I know has ever done is include the people who do audio commentaries, visual essays, interviews, etc. in the collection database, things that are found on discs but not on IMDb, but important enough and plentiful enough data that I need a way to search for who has done what.

[Raises hand] Commentary is one of the fields I created in my Filemaker features database, along with any bonus features I'm interested in. That's a major benefit of the do-it-yourself method: ability to keep track of things of particular interest to yourself. For example, I can call up films that are set in or have location footage shot in San Francisco. One could do the same for Murphy beds, naturally.

As far as the IMDb is concerned, I've cut back on the number of credits I manually enter therefrom - the only way you could do it way back in the early days of my database (which in fact predates the imdb's existence), and I may cut back more. Since I can run my database on my iPad I have an IMDb link for each film that takes me right there with just a finger tap. I also just started adding a links to the AFI catalog entry for USA productions. Comes in handy when you're watching a film and can't dredge up that familiar guy's name.

One problem for me that many people who do audio commentaries and the likes don't have IMDb pages. In those cases, I have to create my own IDs for them in my database, making things more complicated.

IMDb used to let you create your own "movie list" of movies that you can do person-to-title searches, such as if you search for an actor, you get a list of only your movies by that actor. But this feature is long gone, and that is sad, because it saved you from entering any cast and crew data at all. Creating a IMDb title link from your database to IMDb is just a one-way action. Once you are at IMDb, you can't search your collection. You really need your own cast and crew data in your database to make that happen. If you don't, this is what happens: you go to IMDb, search for an actor, get a list of his or her movies, but you have no way of knowing which of those movies are in your collection or not.

P.S. Just want to add that nowadays when many people's movie collection are streaming titles, they don't need a catalog software at all. That's because Netflix, Vudu, iTunes and the likes already let you search for people and title and cross-reference them back and forth, and on all kinds of devices to boot.

MoviecollectorOH

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:IMDb provides some downloadable plain text data here that may be enough for some people, but they only provide "principal" cast and crew, so that's not good enough for me. Many people, including myself, use a programming technique called "web-scraping" to obtain the exact data you see on the IMDb cast and crew webpages. The technique involves looking through the HTML code of a webpage and programmatically glean out all the data. If done right, the process is lightning fast, since a webpage usually only has a few kilobytes of data.

For non-programmers, DVD Profiler has a free plugin called "Cast & Crew Edit 2" that automatically imports cast and crew using the same web-scraping method. The only snag you would hit is when IMDb changes its webpage layout, which happens quite often. Then the web-scraping program code would have to be rewritten.

I still use the older text files, which were last frozen at the old FTP site. That is located at:
ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.imdb.com/pub/

The newer text files have quite a bit less info (such as Studio/Production Company missing). The only advantage I can see to using them is they added their identifier field, which the website uses to identify movies in the URL. So {cough cough} one could use this to build quite a tool, though they prohibited scraping in the past, but perhaps that has changed - now that they have provided the exact means necessary to facilitate such a thing. Ahem... :lol:

In my case I am still using the massive DB I built up from the older text files, which works absolutely fine. It helps that my interests only relate to classic movies. I then linked my older DB to a new table made from one of these current files. Some modifications to the movie titles in that newer table were in order just to make it work (i.e. adding "(TV)" to original movie name for TV movies), but being that they come from the same source, it looks like it will work quite well.

I really only use that to form website URLs, as an appendage to my DB built from the older, bigger info they put out there before.

{scratches head}

[edit]

It has worked quite well. There are reasons I wanted to continue to use the core of the older dataset (frozen back in Dec 2017), as referenced above. Most of it having to do with the way it connects to the rest of my project, in particular the way it uses uses the older Titles and AKA list files to connect to non-IMDB parts. So far so good. There are only so many feature film entries from the classic era that will be completely omitted. If I need to, I can just add them by hand.

Their newest batch of tables is related by the "tconst" field, instead of by Titles (Original Title) and Production Year. So long as they keep their Original Title field (used in conjunction with the release year), I can always add their new updates to my project.

P.S. If anyone is constructing a DB using their latest batch of files, and they wish to include the Production Company/studio info, they can just download the older Production Company list file: http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.imd ... es.list.gz from the old FTP site, and plug it in using Original Title and Release Year fields (concatenated the same way at both ends).

SilentsPlease

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi MoviecollectorOH,

The downside of using all of IMDb's text data is that your database would become a lot bigger than it needs to be, because you would have a lot more IMDb titles and people than you need instead of having only the ones that are in your collection. To get only the IMDb info you need, you would need web-scraping or some kind of method that lets you retrieve only what you need. I have 13,000 titles in my database and their complete cast and crew, and my Access database is only 150 megabytes after compact. That is small enough to allow me to upload to the Internet for cloud access. When you have a large collection, database size becomes a serious consideration. When I was using DVD Profiler, I had only 5,000 titles, but its database size was 400 megabytes (excluding cover images), which would mean about 1 gig for 13,000 titles -- almost seven times the size of my current database. That was another reason I ditched DVD Profiler.

MoviecollectorOH

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm

HI SilentsPlease

Besides the potential for them to still have an issue with scraping, you won't get any arguments from me over that. We have two very different purposes. I am all about the freedom to be able to do things your own way.

Since you are an advanced user, it is good to see you are at least natively using a database, as opposed to a closed solution as mentioned earlier. What you choose to do with that is up to you, and it is up to you to manage that. In short, "you are on your own". In my world that is usually a good thing. Not everyone would agree with that, nor would I expect it.

Return to Tech Talk