Film Equipment Question

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Aaron_M

Film Equipment Question

PostSat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi, all --

I need to purchase some film rewinds to transfer some old films I have on to new reels. Does anyone know how you tell the difference between 35mm rewinds and 16mm rewinds? In online auctions they are often not marked as to type and I was wondering if there is something that can be easily spotted that distinguishes one kind from another.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

Richard P. May

PostSun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 am

An important difference is the inner edge of the shaft, where the reel rests.
16mm reels usually have a square hole, fitting a square shaft.
35mm reels have a round hole with a cutout for a "key" to fit, driving the reel.

16mm reels sometime also have this cutout, and will work on 35mm rewinds. 35mm reels rarely work on 16mm rewinds.
Dick May

Jack Theakston

PostSun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Also, there are two different sized shafts in 35mm, namely 1/2" and 5/16", the latter of which is used in 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm.

What sized rewinds you select depends entirely on what size shafts your reels use.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Bob Birchard

Re: Film Equipment Question

PostSun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Professional rewinds have round shaft with a slot key that will 16mm and 35mm reels. You want professional rewinds. Amatuer 16mm rewinds will have a square key that will only fit 16mm reels. you don't want these.

Aaron_M wrote:Hi, all --

I need to purchase some film rewinds to transfer some old films I have on to new reels. Does anyone know how you tell the difference between 35mm rewinds and 16mm rewinds? In online auctions they are often not marked as to type and I was wondering if there is something that can be easily spotted that distinguishes one kind from another.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

Return to Tech Talk