Best way to store a film reel?

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

cunard-whitestarline

Best way to store a film reel?

PostMon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 am

As noted in an earlier post un the discussion forum, I obtained a copy of the 1918 film Sinking of the Lusitania. I am not sure what is the best way to store this footage as not to damage it. It appears the original reel was replaced at some point (the new one is plastic) and there is a green protective cover attached to the beginning of the film to protect the outside part on the reel. I posted photos on my website of it: http://www.cunard-whitestarline.net/id8.html at the bottom of the page. Aside from the best way to preserve this film, any other information gained from the images would be helpful. Thanks!

Eddie

Richard P. May

PostMon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 am

The film appears to be in good condition, and on a modern 16mm plastic reel.
For preservation advice, I'd suggest you look at the web site for the National Film Preservation Foundation - www.filmpreservation.org - and see the Preservation Practices page. It will give a lot more good information than is practical here.
Dick May

Darren Nemeth

Re: Best way to store a film reel?

PostThu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 pm

cunard-whitestarline wrote:As noted in an earlier post un the discussion forum, I obtained a copy of the 1918 film Sinking of the Lusitania. I am not sure what is the best way to store this footage as not to damage it. It appears the original reel was replaced at some point (the new one is plastic) and there is a green protective cover attached to the beginning of the film to protect the outside part on the reel. I posted photos on my website of it: http://www.cunard-whitestarline.net/id8.html at the bottom of the page. Aside from the best way to preserve this film, any other information gained from the images would be helpful. Thanks!

Eddie

For long term storage you can TRIPLE bag it in Zip-loc bags and put it in the freezer. That will keep it good for the long term. I say triple bag it because zip loc bags are not air tight. You don't want frost getting on the film stock.

When you want to view it, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw for 24 hours until it is at room temperature. If you take it out of the bags right away the frigid reel will attract condensation and ruin the film.

Or put it on a metal reel and soak and clean it with in Vitafilm.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

sssallylane

PostMon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I found this site that may help you:

Video Aids to Film Preservation

Return to Tech Talk