An impromptu survey

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Gagman 66

PostMon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 pm

:? Have no real interest in a Blu-ray player right now. There are not enough Classic, let alone Silent films available at this time. And let's face it this format was definitely not designed with the interest of the Classic film lover in mind. At least I don't feel that it was. When Warner's releases the restored THE BIG PARADE on Blu-ray, which will probably never happen, since it's not seen a standard DVD release yet, than I'll rush out and get a Blu-ray player. Until then I am in no hurry.

Claus H.

PostTue Dec 22, 2009 11:44 am

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes, a Playstation 3

2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? N/A

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No, it depends on if I feel a release might go out of print and not get re-done in BR any time soon.

4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? N/A

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? N/A

6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? Not yet, but I would have no problem doing so.

7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? The film is what matters. As long as it is in the right AR, all is well.

8) Do you prefer to see your films films from
a) Netflix download (or similar service)
I use it since it is a free part of my Netflix account, and it is piped through my PS3 to my 58-inch 1080 plasma, but not for the ultimate in picture quality, more for 'convenience viewing' (This may change if Netflix gets their encodings up to snuff on all their prints; right now it goes from very good to borderline appalling, with a high-speed cable connection.)

b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) Yes.

c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray. Not so much 'prefer' as 'some films I like to own; some I just want to see.'

d) Borrow from the public library: I haven't done so yet, but maybe I should check it out (sorry :lol: )
Claus.

Murnau

PostTue Dec 22, 2009 12:40 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? No

2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? I'm not sure, probably not.

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now?
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all?

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? I don't think so. The movie should be very, very important (4 Devils maybe)

6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? If I'll buy a Blu-ray player, then I will order dics from overseas also.

7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Aspect ratio doesn't matter what I will buy.

a) Netflix download (or similar service) No

b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) No

c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray. I collect classic movies.

d) Borrow from the public library. Sometimes.

spadeneal

PostThu Dec 24, 2009 8:08 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now?
No.
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months?
Not really.
No. I'm still collecting things on VHS and film prints, actually.
So far, I buy DVDs - I wouldn't mind going Blu-Ray, but I'm a bit too broke.
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player?
Depends on the film; if was something I really really wanted, then maybe.
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas?
No.
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release?
N/A
b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service)
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray
d) Borrow from the public library

Buy. I want to own it.

spadeneal

MGH

PostMon Mar 15, 2010 7:56 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? false
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? false
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? false
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? true
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? false
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? false
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first
before a 1:33 release? the word is choose
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray x

Ken Winokur

PostMon Mar 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey Dennis,

Nice idea for a survey. Ishould go through the responses myself (but probably won't)

No

No, but eventually - definitely

No

No, I'll buy one when that's all I can play a disc on.

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player?

Yes

Not yet.

7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release?

It's all about silent films - thus 1:33 (or Movietone, 1:37 or custom apertures)

love them

Yes, also Facets or local rentals (we still have a great one - Hollywood Express - in the area.

frequently

rarely
Ken Winokur
alloyorchestra.com
[email protected]

Jerfilm

BluRay

PostSat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

Yes, I have one - but mostly because I have hours and hours of HD home video and I don't like hooking up the camera as a VCR every time I want to show something.. So I convert to BluRay discs. Which works very well, incidentally.

I don't have any pre recorded discs and what I would buy would depend on the titles. New stuff, probably yes. But an awful lot of silents are in a condition where bluray would not improve them. Some might actually look worse with deterioration even more distinct......

Nick_M

PostSat Mar 27, 2010 1:33 pm

But an awful lot of silents are in a condition where bluray would not improve them. Some might actually look worse with deterioration even more distinct......

Silents have a lot to gain by being on BD. Even on good DVDs, the compression is depressingly noticeable since it can't handle aged and damaged material very well. The BDs of Sunrise and The General are significant upgrades from from DVD (yes, even the fuzzy version of Sunrise). Compression artifacts are hard to see and grain actually resembles grain. The difference was more startling in these than when I popped in, oh, Ponyo and Speed Racer, which were comparatively subtly improved by being on BD.

moviepas

An Impromptu Survey

PostSun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 am

1) Yes. An LG -drive in computer(burner); Panasonic 500mb Blu ray & a Kogan all regions Blu ray Player(use remote to change Blu ray regions only, the DVD-S are free-coded)
2) N/A
3)Buy Blu Ray discs of some Blu ray only and replace special DVDs on Blu Ray and keep the DVD versions. Got Sunrise, The Genral, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, GWTW, Oz, other warner MGM musicals.
4) NO!!
5) TO LATE FOR THAT DECISION NOW!!
6) Definitely. US, UK, Germany & Australia
7) c) First choice d) Sometimes borrow from one branch of a library I belong to and would buy if I liked the title(I belong to three City Libraries in South-East area of Melbourne/Australia) Only one library branch in one system has Blu Ray at present and their three other branches do not.

I would buy many titles in my mind on Blu Ray if they come out whilst I am able to do so.

kndy

Re: An impromptu survey

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 6:52 pm

I know this is several months ago but I'll go ahead and answer this...

Yes

I expect to get a second and possibly a third Blu-ray player for the home.

In most cases yes, with the exception of silents and classic films since they are not avail. on Blu-ray. If they were, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

No. I buy DVD's but Blu-ray is my preference.

The fact that there have been fabulous classic and silent films on Blu-ray is a must for owning a Blu-ray player in the home.

Yes. The fact that Eureka/Masters of Cinema has opened up their releases especially their classic and silent film releases without any region coding is fantastic for fans worldwide.

Yes but if its shot originally on 1:33, I'm not going to complain. Ie. "City Girl" is 1:33 and has the black bars on the side but the picture quality is fantastic!

d) Borrow from the public library[/quote]

(C) - I am a buyer not a renter.
Previous

Return to Tech Talk