An impromptu survey

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

milefilms

An impromptu survey

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 11:43 am

Okay folks, I hope you're willing to help clue me in on what's happening out there with the collectors. I would LOVE to know about how everybody is feeling about blu-ray now that you can buy one for $100, so, if you don't mind, it would really help me make decisions about the direction Milestone will be going next year and it would probably help other distributors as well. I'm not saying that this reflects they way I'm thinking Milestone will go this next year, but I have to start thinking about it.

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now?
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months?
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now?
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all?
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player?
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas?
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release?
8) Do you prefer to see your films films from
a) Netflix download (or similar service)
b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service)
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray
d) Borrow from the public library
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

CoffeeDan

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 1:01 pm

Okay, let's get this party started . . .

1. No.

2. Not for the foreseeable future. I think I'll be replacing my present DVD player sometime next year, but more and more, I'm leaning toward a DVD recorder rather than a player.

3. No.

4. At present, I see no need to go Blu-Ray. I'm very satisfied with the quality of DVDs now, and they keep getting better and better all the time.

5. That's a possibility. But a DVD recorder is higher priority for me now, and if I did get a Blu-ray player, it would be as an addition rather than a replacement.

6. I already buy some DVDs from overseas, so if and when the time came, I would be willing to buy Blu-rays from overseas, too.

7. Most of the classic films I really want to see are in 1:33, so this is not a big issue for me. Since there aren't a lot of 1:33 Blu-ray releases out there, particularly in B&W -- and the ones that are out there are not marked improvements over DVD -- that does not spur me to get a Blu-ray player.

8. A combination of b, c, and d. Most of the movies I've seen I have bought on DVD, but I'm using Netflix more and more these days to "pre-screen" my purchases. If I'm undecided about buying a DVD, I'll rent it through Netflix (or borrow it from the library) to see what it's like, and if its something I'm likely to watch more than once, I'll buy the DVD.

Some general remarks: The leap in quality from DVD to Blu-ray is not as dramatic as from VHS to DVD, so I think Blu-ray is going to be a harder sell to the general movie-buying public. You can see paralells to this in the music business. Better-sounding CDs have been available in SACD and DVD-Audio for years now, but these never caught on with the average music consumer, who would rather buy a standard CD or download an MP3 file. Despite the reduction in price, most people still see Blu-ray as a luxury item favored only by videophiles.

Personally, I'll believe Blu-ray has really arrived when I see Blu-ray recorders and portable Blu-ray players available. But not before.

Jim Reid

Re: An impromptu survey

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 pm

I only answered the questions that apply.

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes. Two of them, one for the tv, one for the video projector

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No. Not enough classic films.

6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? Yes
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Aspect ratio does not factor in the decision.
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray I'm a buyer, not a borrower or renter.

PS. I read Dan's remarks above, and that was my opinion, that there wasn't that much of a jump between DVD and Blu-Ray. Then I got my BR player, and have been very pleased at the quality. It's literally breath taking. I've run demos for my movie group, (we only do 16mm) and they are totally amazed. The only problem I see now is that there won't be that many classic films released on Blu-Ray. We can barely get them released on regular DVD.

Danny Burk

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 1:54 pm

milefilms wrote:1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? yes
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? n/a
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? no, but if Blu-ray is available, it's my choice; I buy mostly classic titles and wish that more were available
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? I don't expect to stop buying standard DVDs for those titles that are only released in that format
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? n/a, but it would make me consider it if I didn't already have one
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? yes, frequently
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? no, I base decisions individually on each film that I'd like to have; I don't base choices on aspect ratio as long as it's in original ratio (for example, I would reject a 4:3 version of a widescreen film and vice-versa)
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray buy

And, to answer a question that you didn't ask: I'm not one who feels the need for constant upgrades, so I may or may not upgrade a title that I already have as a good quality DVD. If it's a special favorite or a major difference in quality (e.g. a new restoration or more complete print, or outstanding improvement in image quality), I will do so, but I much prefer to see *new* titles that I don't already own, be they standard DVD or Blu-ray.

gjohnson

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 3:08 pm

I'll make it simple.
I worked in the Warner Bros. mailroom in 1979 when they were introducing the first movies being put out on Beta and I laughed.....LAUGHED!!! I TELL YA!!! Right in their face! It'll NEVER replace FILM!!!

And since then I've been changing formats for the past 30 years...
AND I AM THRU!!! NO MORE!!!

I've been buying DVD's for the past decade and I ain't switching anymore thru hell or high water whether it's Green-ray, Orange-ray. I-Max-ray or digital X-ray.

Gary J.

keatonfreak

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Realease your Charley Chase set and then I'll take your survey!

Paul Penna

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 3:55 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes

2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? n/a

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No

4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? No

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? n/a

6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? No

7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? No

8. Do you prefer to see your films films from
b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) 2nd choice
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray 1st choice
d) Borrow from the public library[/quote]

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 4:06 pm

No

No

No

No

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player?

Yes

No

7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release?

No

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Rob Farr

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 4:31 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? No
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? Yes
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? I'm gonna buy one anyway, but a great classic ONLY on BR would push me to do it quicker. There's just no compelling reason right now.
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? No
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Wouldn't matter
I have done all of the below, but in order of preference:
a) Netflix download (or similar service) 4
b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) 2
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray 1
d) Borrow from the public library[/quote] 3
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

Penfold

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? NO
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? NO
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? NO
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? Not Yet
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? Yes
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? I Would...
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Not Necessarily
Cool Do you prefer to see your films films from
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Harlett O'Dowd

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 5:17 pm

No.

Probably not. Maybe in the next year. HDTV needs to come first and having one is an invitation to get your house robbed in my neighborhood. I'm hoping the situation will change in the next few months.

No.

I'll buy what I want in the format that makes sense.

It might speed up the process.

Not yet - some DVDs.

I don't think I have ten films on DVD filmed in the past ten years. Probably not.

C or TCM - rarely D

myrnaloyisdope

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 pm

No

Maybe, I'm hoping to get an all-region player, given all the cool stuff that's coming out this year and next, I mean Masters of Cinema has Sunrise, and is coming out with City Girl, and M next year.

No

No

That would be as good a reason as any

I plan to

No, I'd love to see silents and classic Hollywood films out on blu-ray provided there is good source material to do so. I was shocked to see how good The General look on blu-ray, so it definitely can work wonders.

Cool Do you prefer to see your films films from

boblipton

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Haven't bought a Blue-Ray machine, have no immediate plans for buying one.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

Shaynes3

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 6:56 pm

YES

(Maybe a second one soon - like the LG390 which streams Netflix wirelessly.)

NO (and I still have laserdisc, VHS, and 16mmk and s-8/8mm film...)

THIS SHIP HAS ALREADY SAILED!

Too late for me, but it might do it for some folks.

Just ordered my first one.

Aspect ratio is not part of the decision makimg process (as long as the disc in question offers the ORIGINAL A/R.)

Buy the DVD/Blu-Ray (or record it from cable TV.) I use Netflix to see movies I'd like to watch but probably would not buy.)

Someone else said that the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray did not represent a large improvement. I think it's at least partially a factor of the viewing circumstance. If you watch it on a reasonably large LCD/Plasma TV or from video projection with a good HD projector, the difference of a non-upconverted DVD is substantial. Since all Blu-Ray players upcopnvert, and the upconversion can be pretty effective, that does make the difference look less dramatic.
Steve Haynes

T0m M

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm

No, but my son's Playstation 3 is a very good Blu-Ray player and I use it.

No, I'll probably just continue to utilize my son's PS3 until he moves out, which is still a couple of years away.

No, the vast majority of my purchases are DVD, as the films that interest me are typically not available in Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is my first preference for new releases. However, I'm not sure what I would do in the case of Blu-Ray re-issues of movies that I already own on DVD, For instance, if Milestone re-issued all the Pickfords, Hindle Wakes and Picadilly on Blu-Ray, I would have a very hard decision to make. Ideally, what I would like to see is an upgrade policy whereby the owner would receive a significant discount on the purchase of the Blu-Ray version, after he proved ownership of the DVD version, via either exchange or original sales receipt.

No, I'd continue to use my son's PS3.

No.

No. I make my purchases based on the appeal of the movie, not its age or aspect ratio.

Do you prefer to see your films films from

I do not download, rent or borrow any films. I purchase all my films, either on VHS, LD, DVD or Blu-Ray, whichever is the best format offering the movies I want to own.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 9:09 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes.

2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? N/A.

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No.

4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? No.

5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? N/A.

6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? Not yet, but I'm considering it.

It doesn't matter.

d) Borrow from the public library[/quote]

c) So far, I purchase all the DVDs.

Salty Dog

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm

2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? N/A
3) Do you onlybuy Blu-ray discs now? No
4) Do you [only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? No
5) If a classic film was ]only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? Doesn't apply, since I have a player.
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? I have 1 so far, the Sunrise disc from England.
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Not really, depends on the film more than the aspect ratio.
[/quote]
These are all good, there is no one choice better than the others.
Bill Coleman

Jim Reid

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 2:52 am

myrnaloyisdope wrote:Maybe, I'm hoping to get an all-region player, given all the cool stuff that's coming out this year and next, I mean Masters of Cinema has Sunrise, and is coming out with City Girl, and M next year.

I haven't heard if the region thing is the same with Blu-Ray as it is with regular DVDs, but I bought the Sunrise disc and it plays in both my Blu-Ray players.
Last edited by Jim Reid on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arndt

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 3:13 am

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? No.
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? Within the next twelve months.
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? n/a
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? No.
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? It would speed up my decision.
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? If I manage to get a region-free player I will.
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? No.
a) Netflix download (or similar service) I wish services like this would become more widely available.
b) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) If possible.
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray My favourite, but limited by my means.
d) Borrow from the public library If possible.
MELIOR

T0m M

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 am

Jim Reid wrote:
myrnaloyisdope wrote:Maybe, I'm hoping to get an all-region player, given all the cool stuff that's coming out this year and next, I mean Masters of Cinema has Sunrise, and is coming out with City Girl, and M next year.

I haven't heard if the region thing is the same with Blu-Ray as it is with regular DVDs, but I bought the Sunnrise disc and it plays in both my Blu-Ray players.

Blu-Ray, like DVD, does have provide for regional encoding. However, many manufacturers are releasing region free Blu-Ray discs. Supposedly, all Paramount and Universal releases are region free, while most Sony and Warners Brothers titles are region-free. The only major studio releasing most titles with region encoding is 20th Century Fox. The MoC version of Sunrise is region free and will play on all Blu-Ray players.

The encoding decision is at the discrepancy of the releasing company. MoC has decided on region-free, at least for Sunrise. We will have to wait and see about future titles. If we get a US rerlease from 20th Century Fox, it will most likely be region encoded, like the majority of their Blu-Ray releases.

Kino's release of The General is also region free, so we can only hope that the first, silent Blu-Ray releases from Moc and Kino are harbingers of a trend.

Dan Oliver

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 11:19 am

3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No, but I'm likely to choose Blu-ray when I have a choice
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? n/a
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? Not so far
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Absolutely not, it's all about the film, not the format
c) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray Yes
--Dan

Richard P. May

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 pm

To make it short, I don't have a BluRay player, nor any desire for one.
Uprez DVDs look very good on my HiDef TV. I don't have the feeling BR would make a movie better.
Much of my viewing is recorded from cable to re-usable discs, for time shift purposes.
Dick May

Christopher Jacobs

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Yes, two: one for the projector and one for the HDTV
Only if recordable players with HDTV tuners are introduced in that time
If a title is available in both formats, I'll only buy the BluRay version. If it's only on DVD and a BluRay release does not seem likely in the next year or two, then I'll buy the DVD. I have, however, held off buying some movies on DVD in the hopes of a BluRay release.
n/a
It was the increasing number of classics and pre-1970 "scope" titles showing up on BluRay a little over a year ago (especially 2001: a space odyssey, How The West Was Won, and announcements of more Warner-owned classics) that helped speed my decision to get a1080p HD projector and BluRay player in the first place.
Just made my very first overseas order last week! -- SUNRISE and THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH on BluRay, THE WRECKER and SEVEN SINNERS on DVD. I do have a multi-region DVD player, but I can only play region-free or region-A BluRay discs, so that limits foreign BluRay purchases.
The aspect ratio only becomes a factor when deciding whether or not to upgrade from DVD to BluRay. Many if not most 1.33 films look satisfactory to extremely good when upscaled from DVD, but any widescreen films, especially scope and 70mm, look obviously and substantially better in BluRay editions. Many of my 1.33 BluRays are upgrades from VHS or Beta, or first-time purchases. I did, however, upgrade PINOCCHIO, SNOW WHITE, GONE WITH THE WIND, THE WIZARD OF OZ, CASABLANCA, ROBIN HOOD, and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, mainly to support older titles on BluRay, and found them a noticable improvement over the DVDs, if not quite so impressive a difference as movies like 2001, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, BLAZING SADDLES, et al. Right now there are so few 1.33 titles on BluRay that I try to buy them all as a matter of principle. With BluRay's increased resolution, I would actually prefer that all 1950s "flat" films be released in 1.33, as the zoom feature on the projector gives the option of seeing them full-frame or in 1.78 (a reasonable compromise midway between 1.66 and 1.85) with very little loss of sharpness.
Only C and D (which sometimes leads to C) or recorded off of TCM, which also sometimes leads to C

--Christopher Jacobs
http://hpr1.com/film
http://www.und.edu/instruct/cjacobs

WaverBoy

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 2:58 pm

keatonfreak wrote:Realease your Charley Chase set and then I'll take your survey!

Ya know, that was the first thought that raced through my mind when I read Dennis' post. I'm absolutely DYING for that to get released, and will order it the second it does, if it EVER does...perhaps on Blu-ray, eh, Dennis?

But, since it's the holidays and all, I'll be nice and take the survey anyway...

1. Do you own a Blu-ray player now? No
2. Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? No
3. Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? N/A
4. Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? If enough films that I was interested in were released in this format, I'd probably take the plunge.
5. If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? Dennis, if you released your Charley Chase set in Blu-ray only, I'd buy a player. And I'm not kidding.
6. Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? If I had a player, I definitely would if it was either a title unavailable domestically, or a better version than was available domestically, e.g. more complete, nicer A/V quality, correct AR, etc. I already do the same in such cases for DVDs.
7. When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? Not a factor in my buying decisions, as long as the original AR is present. I buy films to enjoy them, not for home theatre demo material.
8. Do you prefer to see your films films from

Also, regarding the last question, when I do occasionally rent the good stuff instead of buying it, I rent from Scarecrow Video, the greatest video store in the country, as I do most of my impulse DVD purchasing there, and with every DVD purchased you get a free rental. Non-Seattleites, feel envious. :-) Although my girlfriend does have a Netflix account, and that's how I catch up on more mainstream, newer releases that I would never buy.

milefilms

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 3:50 pm

WaverBoy wrote:
keatonfreak wrote:Realease your Charley Chase set and then I'll take your survey!

Ya know, that was the first thought that raced through my mind when I read Dennis' post. I'm absolutely DYING for that to get released, and will order it the second it does, if it EVER does...perhaps on Blu-ray, eh, Dennis?/quote]

Well, WB, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you what's up. With 6 hours of Chase, it would cost a minimum $20,000 to finish the bonus features, compress and author, replicate, package and market. From recent results, we would be lucky to sell 1,000 copies. At say, $29.95, minus 40-50% to the retailer and about 22% more for distribution/collection costs, the math is really ugly. Especially these days when Netflix is so prevalent and people illegally download just about anything the day of release.

I think most people know that Milestone is a two-person company that depends 100% on income to pay our mortgage, food, and perhaps a college fund for the boy. There's no other funding. That's not to say we won't do it -- we released DRAGON PAINTER knowing we would lose our shirts -- but we need another big hit so I can play with a little money. So everybody, go out there and buy THE EXILES!
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

WaverBoy

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Pardon if this is a stupid question, but would it still help if I bought THE DRAGON PAINTER and STELLA MARIS instead, or any other of your previously released silent titles that I don't yet own? Or would buying THE EXILES help more?

milefilms

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 5:45 pm

WaverBoy wrote:Pardon if this is a stupid question, but would it still help if I bought THE DRAGON PAINTER and STELLA MARIS instead, or any other of your previously released silent titles that I don't yet own? Or would buying THE EXILES help more?

Well, I was just joking, but any purchase helps us, of course.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

silentstar5

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 8:49 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes. On my computer but I do not buy or rent blu-ray discs to watch on it.2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? No3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? No
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? Yes
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? No. I have so much on regular dvd format I am content to wait and see if blu-ray becomes the norm 6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? No.
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? N/A
a) Netflix download (or similar service) Nob) Netflix DVD rental (or similar service) Noc) Buy the DVD or Blu-Ray Yesd) Borrow from the public library Yes

silentfilm

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm

1) Do you own a Blu-ray player now? Yes, bought one on Black Friday. It was to go with our new HDTV that I promised we would get when I got a new job.
2) Do you expect to get one this holiday season or in the next three months? already did
3) Do you only buy Blu-ray discs now? I've only had the player three weeks, and only screened one BluRay disc so far, but we got several for the kids as Christmas presents.
4) Do you only buy standard-def DVDs and don't plan to go Blu-ray at all? no
5) If a classic film was only released on Blu-ray that you had to have would you consider changing your mind and buying a Blu-ray player? [/b]NA[/b]
6) Do you buy Blu-ray discs from overseas? no
7) When you consider buying a Blu-ray disc, would you chose to buy a wide-screen newer film first before a 1:33 release? It depends. If it is a film that I (we) would watch over and over like a Pixar film or Harry Potter, I would definitely buy it. If it is something my wife wants to see, then we would just rent it. Classic films like Hitchcock or Keaton I would watch much more than once, but a really rare silent that won't appeal to anyone else I probably wouldn't get on the first release.
If it is something that we want to see once, then we would rent it from Netflix. If it is something we would watch over and over, like It's a Wonderful Life or [i]Phantom of the Opera, we would definitely buy the disc. I've never downloaded, and if I upgrade a film to BluRay, I'll probably donate the DVD to the public library.

And I still buy at least one 16mm film a month too...[/b]

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 13, 2009 10:34 pm

1) No. If I'd bought my home theater setup just a few months later, I probably would, but even with the low prices, the idea of junking a 2-year-old, vaguely high end DVD player (not that it cost that much) gives me pause. As does anything involved in disconnecting and reconnecting wires in my home theater setup.
2) No, though you never know, I might see a deal and impulsively have one in hand two minutes later after thinking about it for years.
3) n/a, but for what it's worth, I was still buying up laserdiscs cheap on Ebay well after I owned a DVD player
4) n/a
5) I won't buy a new technology until I see titles start to appear that I can't get on the previous technology; then I'm convinced it's here for real. I finally got a DVD player when The Toll Gate came out.
6) n/a, but I can certainly imagine doing so
7) Well, I'd be more willing to buy a widescreen film that was just so-so because it would look so darn cool in HD (eg How the West Was Won). But I love seeing 1:33 movies that have that razor sharpness and level of detail too.
8) I buy things, or I do what I call MikeFlix, which is, buy, watch, resell on Amazon or Ebay. I probably should join NetFlix rather than pay what I pay for cable movie channels, but I haven't yet.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Next

Return to Tech Talk