Standard DVD on HDTV

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

Buster95

Standard DVD on HDTV

PostSat Jul 17, 2010 6:17 pm

I don't have an HDTV but I'm interested in one, can I play standard DVDs on a HDTV (1080p) TV?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Only if you connect a DVD player to it... 8)

And generally speaking, you'll be happier with a DVD player which has some kind of line-doubling technology (basically smooths out the difference between 525 lines of resolution, or whatever it is, and your TV's higher res). A good standard def transfer played through a good DVD player will look very fine indeed.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Buster95

PostSat Jul 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks I have about 100 DVDs in my collection.

azjazzman

PostFri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Only if you connect a DVD player to it... 8)

And generally speaking, you'll be happier with a DVD player which has some kind of line-doubling technology (basically smooths out the difference between 525 lines of resolution, or whatever it is, and your TV's higher res). A good standard def transfer played through a good DVD player will look very fine indeed.

Actually, an upconverting DVD player does a great deal more than a line doubler.

I mention this only on the off chance that the poster gets the idea that he can just buy an outboard line doubler and connect it to his ten year old DVD player and get the same result.

To get a decent result on an HDTV, (which increases the number of pixels, not just the horizontal lines of resolution) you really need to upgrade to an upconverting DVD player.

The good news is that almost all models on the market today, even low cost models, do a pretty good job of this.

Return to Tech Talk