very OT - internet/phone bundling

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2063
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

very OT - internet/phone bundling

PostTue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 pm

please forgive this *very* OT topic (moderators, feel free to wax this at any time.)

But I thought some of the more tech-minded nitratevillains might have thoughts on the matter.

Both my current phone and internet providers are dangling offers to bundle both services together. I'm assuming this would be VOIP instead of the analog line I currently have at the house.

Has anyone tried this? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Am I better off going through the internet provider over AT&T? Anything to watch out for?

Many thanks
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1788
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

PostTue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm bundled with Comcast and the VOIP on the house phone is fine. Lovely.
Offline
User avatar

Jim Reid

  • Posts: 1509
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:16 am
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

PostTue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm not bundled with it, but I got a VOIP phone for the home phone. Had a few rough spots the first month or so but is working fine now.
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 9060
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 pm

We use VOIP at work all of the time for our conference calls. It sounds just fine.

However, make sure that you understand how 911 works before you sign up. Some VOIP providers cannot provide 911 servcie, so you would have to use a cell phone in an emergency at home. You have to register your home address and city with other VOIP providers before 911 will work.
Offline
User avatar

Jim Reid

  • Posts: 1509
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:16 am
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

PostTue Jul 27, 2010 9:24 pm

silentfilm wrote:We use VOIP at work all of the time for our conference calls. It sounds just fine.

However, make sure that you understand how 911 works before you sign up. Some VOIP providers cannot provide 911 servcie, so you would have to use a cell phone in an emergency at home. You have to register your home address and city with other VOIP providers before 911 will work.


Bruce, mine has a deal where if you dial 911 it somehow goes through. I think it has to go through a couple of levels so for all I know it will call the Detroit police.
Offline
User avatar

greta de groat

  • Posts: 2010
  • Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
  • Location: California

PostFri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 pm

rudyfan wrote:I'm bundled with Comcast and the VOIP on the house phone is fine. Lovely.


Do you still get telemarketer calls?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat
Offline
User avatar

Jim Reid

  • Posts: 1509
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:16 am
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

PostFri Jul 30, 2010 2:22 pm

I did that Do Not Call list thing and the only calls I get are people I aleady do business with and charities.
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1788
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

PostFri Jul 30, 2010 2:23 pm

greta de groat wrote:
rudyfan wrote:I'm bundled with Comcast and the VOIP on the house phone is fine. Lovely.


Do you still get telemarketer calls?

greta


Pretty much no, I don't.

My number is the same as when it was AT&T, it's on the do not call registry. I re-register my phone numbers at least once a year.
Offline
User avatar

Rick Lanham

  • Posts: 1844
  • Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
  • Location: Gainesville, FL

PostFri Jul 30, 2010 4:18 pm

The site now says that as of FEB 2008 you no longer have to renew:

https://donotcall.gov/

Once your number is on there, it does not need to be renewed.

But... what if I change my mind and want it to ring, a-la Dial M For Murder??

Rick
Offline
User avatar

greta de groat

  • Posts: 2010
  • Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
  • Location: California

PostFri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:The site now says that as of FEB 2008 you no longer have to renew:

https://donotcall.gov/

Once your number is on there, it does not need to be renewed.

But... what if I change my mind and want it to ring, a-la Dial M For Murder??

Rick


I signed up to that list years ago and it never seemed to do any good. I did renew yesterday, though, and hope it works better this time around!

So have the VOIP numbers not been sold to telemarketers? I remember a couple of years ago that the cell phone numbers were.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Return to Tech Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest