16mmfilmtalk.com???

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

LouieD

16mmfilmtalk.com???

PostWed Apr 16, 2008 9:22 am

Does anyone know who runs the forum 16mmfilmtalk.com? I have tried to register twice in the last 6 months and have never heard back from them.

Are there any other forums or websites dedicated to selling 16mm film (other than ebay)?

Louie

silentfilm

PostWed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 am

http://www.16mmfilmtalk.com is run by Larry Urbanski. You can contact him at larryu (at) urbanskiflm (dot) com. For my money, this is the best film collecting forum on the Internet. If you want to know who the shysters are who sell films on eBay, this is the place to go. There are also quite a few collectors who don't trust eBay and only buy and sell their films there. Or they list films there before they go to eBay.

Larry Urbanski's Urbanskifilm business sells splicers, reels, leader, lamps, screens, and just about any type of equipment that you could want. His FilmRenew is great for cleaning film and fixing warped film.

There is another site at http://www.film-center.com/. The web pages for this site contain some great reference information on films, especially Kodak date codes, splicing information, lamp information, etc. There is also a forum at http://www.efilmforum.com/index.php. This forum doesn't have nearly as much traffic. The administrator is a bit eccentric and has booted off quite a few members that said something that he didn't agree with. Many of the same people are on both forums. There is also a chat room. The amusing thing about this is that there is an automated member "Wilson" that posts some really bizarre responses.

There is also an 8mm forum at http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/. Believe it or not, there are some die-hard 8mm and super 8mm collectors left. This board also has sections on 16mm and even 9.5mm films.

And finally there is a 35mm collectors' forum at http://www.35mmforum.com/forums/index.php?act=idx.

LouieD

PostWed Apr 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks, Bruce. I just sent him and email, hope it helps.

Thomas

PostThu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm

silentfilm wrote:Believe it or not, there are some die-hard 8mm and super 8mm collectors left.

Hey, there are more of us outside, than you think!!!! :roll:
I prefer 16mm, but there are only a few silents for sale with a razonable prize. So if necessary I buy 8mm or Super8, too.
Also I'm looking for 9.5mm, because it's a fine format with a picture only a little bit smaller than 16mm.

Jim Reid

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 am

From what I hear, 8mm and super 8 are very popular in Europe. Here in the U.S. it's mostly 16mm. I'm not sure there is anyone printing the smaller gauges here anymore.

Thomas

PostSun Apr 20, 2008 3:05 am

Jim Reid wrote:From what I hear, 8mm and super 8 are very popular in Europe. Here in the U.S. it's mostly 16mm. I'm not sure there is anyone printing the smaller gauges here anymore.

Unfortunately 8mm, Super8 and 9.5mm can be found only as used antiques. If you search silents you have to look in the US. There is the only market for them. In Europe only a few people are interested in these formats.

silentfilm

PostSun Apr 20, 2008 7:13 am

Derann in the UK still makes new Super 8mm prints. I doubt that they have many silent films though, it is mostly newer stuff.

During the 1960s and 1970s, Blackhawk films released tons of rare silent films in the Standard 8mm and Super 8mm format, including many that were not released on 16mm.

Kinohead

PostWed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Yes, I have a large number of silents on Regular and Super 8mm. Barbara Frietchie, The Tong Man, The Death Ray, Tumbleweeds, Intolerance, Until they Get Me, ... even a very rare 8mm Al Jennings I can't remember the title to... about 40 in all.

Some are have amazing images, others not so amazing.

While most are Blackhawk, I do have a number that are direct reductions of 35mm prints without any omissions or additions, thus are exact copies of the original down to the leaders.

There ARE real treasures in the smaller gauges.
Frank Wylie
"I love the smell of nitrate in the morning, it smells like... history"

Return to Tech Talk