PostFri Feb 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Image Albert Brooks @AlbertBrooks
"My first appearance on television in 1968 was with Gary Owens. Wonderful
guy. R.I.P. Gary."

Image Paul Williams ‏@IMPaulWilliams
As nice as he was funny. As kind as he was clever. Gary Owens, you spread a
lot of joy. Giggle in peace my friend!

Image Harry Shearer ‏@theharryshearer
RIP Gary Owens. On the late, great KMPC, he was downright insegrevious.

Image Lily Tomlin Today @LTomlinToday
George Schlatter & Chelsea Brown at Laugh-In Cast Reunion At The Cabaret Mohegan Sun's 10th Anniversary

Gary Owens has died.
His credits began over 60 years ago.

Narration for a UPA-ish cartoon.

A photo, and some of his recorded/published/animated work.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by JFK on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Donald Binks

Re: Gary Owens-Laugh-In;Space Ghost;Roger Ramjet

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 11:05 pm

That name rings a bell? Wasn't he the man who was the announcer on "Laugh In" and used to put his hand over his ear when speaking?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Christopher Jacobs

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 2:41 am

Donald Binks wrote:That name rings a bell? Wasn't he the man who was the announcer on "Laugh In" and used to put his hand over his ear when speaking?

He's the one. I just noticed him last week in a bit part playing a TV announcer in an episode of the original 1966 BATMAN and a couple months ago recognized his distinctive voice in DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN. Classic radio voice. According to imdb, he's the narrator for a new movie coming out this year.

Brooksie

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 10:49 am

He was also doing announcements for Antenna TV right up until the end. A great talent, and by all accounts a great guy.

I leave you with this classsic (and send you this way if you don't know what Preparation H is): :lol:

Bob Birchard

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 am

[quote="Brooksie"]He was also doing announcements for Antenna TV right up until the end. A great talent, and by all accounts a great guy/quote]

I first met Gary Owens at one of the Ray Courts collectibles shows, probably in a group with Dick Bann and Chuck McCann, whom I already knew. I ran into him again sometime later, and was surprised, with all the people he must have met that he remembered my name. We would occasionally have lunch together--not in a planned way, but just running into each other at Honey Baked Ham in Toluca Lake. One time I was there and Gary was eating with a couple of people and I didn't want to interrupt, so I ate alone but stopped by his table to say hello as I was leaving. He invited me to join his party, and when I said I'd already finished eating he seemed genuinely hurt that I hadn't just bellied up to the table. He said, "You should have just come over and joined us." He made you feel as if you were the most important thing in his life at the moment. The "radio voice" was no put on. That's' the way he talked, but that phony "pitchman" quality that served him so well in his comic endeavors belied a genuinely warm and friendly human being.

Return to Talking About Broadcasting