Stan Freberg

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

JFK

Stan Freberg

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Stan Freberg

Click Image to Hear Program (99 cents)
STAN FREBERG's Life and Career (3/17/2010)
Guests: Stan Freberg, Hunter Freberg, Mark Evanier
(1 Hour: 59 Minutes: 48 Seconds)

Last edited by JFK on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ClarenceE

Re: Stan Freberg

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 7:35 pm

R.I.P. to a great satirist and a marvelous voice actor.

boblipton

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 pm

This is another hard one for me.

Here's the New York Times obituary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/arts/ ... ottom-well

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

Rollo Treadway

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm

A special Order of Merit to anyone who can dig up a recording of the Bob and Ray radio shows where they tortured their friend and colleague Stan Freberg. Here's how the story is told in Bob and Ray: Keener Than Most Persons by David Pollock:

Another early-morning caper involved Stan Freberg. "He'd been in town and sat in with us," Bob said. "He gave us his number—but his home number—and said, 'Call anytime.' So we called him early in the morning out there. He answered and we said, 'We're up! ... You said to call anytime.' "

"Of course, it was eight o'clock in New York and five o'clock in Pasadena," said Freberg, recalling B&R's wake-up call. "I said, 'Do you guys know what time it is?' And they said, 'Ha-ha-ha. Is that a funny guy? 'Do you know what time it is?' Boy, what a funny man.' And I said, 'Well, it's five o'clock in Los Angeles.' And they said, 'No, it's eight o'clock in New York.' And I said, 'There's a three-hour time difference.' And Bob said, 'I never heard of that. Did you ever hear of that, Ray?' He said, 'No, I don't think so. It's eight o'clock everywhere.' "

"It just went on as long as we could keep him going," Bob said.

"So anyhow," Freberg continued, "they called me again the second day. And I went through the same thing all over again. So the third day I for up at four-thirty in the morning, made coffee, and was sitting by the phone, waiting, and they never called. So finally I called them in New York at WINS. And I said, 'I've been waiting for you buys to call.' They said, 'Yeah, we knew you'd be onto us by the third day so that's why we didn't call."

---
Being contemporaries, Bob & Ray went after some of the same targets as Freberg, such as Senator McCarthy or Arthur Godfrey.

Return to Talking About Broadcasting