Coca-Cola (1986, English version)

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

radiotelefonia

Coca-Cola (1986, English version)

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 12:05 am

This is the "original" version of this Coca-Cola commercial titled "General Assembly" or "Tomorrow's People". McCann-Erickson prepared several versions in the same place and refilmed others totally different in others countries, sometimes combining footage.

Being the actual language that almost everybody there spoke, they were able to film large groups actually singing the jingle and not having to reedit the footage in order to try to hide the fact they are singing in English. The versions in other countries have somebody singing in the appropriate language but they suffer due to the way they edited them. The Spanish language versions have the advantage of having a number of key shots redone in Spanish.

It is also interesting to see where the main singers in each commercial are placed in other versions (the one featuring a girl from Argentina although it was shown in almost all of the countries of this hemisphere, plus the American TV channels broadcasting in Spanish)-

boblipton

Re: Coca-Cola (1986, English version)

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 3:10 am

It just occurred to me: do you work for the Coca-Cola Company? Or their advertising agency?

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Spiny Norman

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 3:59 am

boblipton wrote:It just occurred to me: do you work for the Coca-Cola Company? Or their advertising agency?

Bob
But then he also works for Renault, and a record store specializing in vintage Argentinian tango on 78 rpm. He must be a freelancer.
This is nøt å signåture.™

radiotelefonia

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
boblipton wrote:It just occurred to me: do you work for the Coca-Cola Company? Or their advertising agency?

Bob
But then he also works for Renault, and a record store specializing in vintage Argentinian tango on 78 rpm. He must be a freelancer.

I'm currently unemployed... I'm doing an effort to even be emotionally able to keep up.

radiotelefonia

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 am

This is the other version in English, prepared for the Philippines that I restored using two recordings that are rather bad and I can't achieve miracles. However, the singer in here gives a much better and more engaging performance.

boblipton

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 10:12 am

I think the soloist is better in the second, but the chorale work is better in the first.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

radiotelefonia

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:27 pm

The version I posted first has to be considered as the original one, even though most versions were produced simultaneously on the same place.

However, that is not the version that aired in the United States. But I just found that version in a damaged compilation tape posted by somebody in YouTube that was interlaced and out of sync. I tried to fix it as much as I could. In any case, this commercial has always been celebrated around the world... but in the United States, where today is almost unknown.

The reason for this can be seen at the very last shot of this version where signs read "Coca-Cola Classic". The previous year was the fiasco of the "New Coke", which never managed to be available in other countries. In fact, in the bottles that are featured in the commercial the label in the bottles does read "Coca-Cola / Coke". In the States, this may well could have been the very first "Coca-Cola Classic" commercial and that probably made it not so memorable here.

Return to Talking About Broadcasting