Vin Scully Retires

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

Joe Thompson

Vin Scully Retires

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 11:03 pm

Vin Scully was a fan of the New York Giants. Mel Ott was his favorite player. In 1950, he began announcing Brooklyn Dodgers games. Sunday, after 67 seasons, he is retiring as announcer for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Ironically, the last game of the Dodgers' season is against the San Francisco Giants, at Pac Bell Park, or whatever it is called this season.

I have always hated the Dodgers, but admired Vin Scully. I am a native of San Francisco. When I was young, I discovered that I could tune in Los Angeles AM stations at night, including KFI, which carried the Dodgers. I like his voice. It is soothing. I wish him well.

Vin Scully, or his voice, has appeared in many movies, usually as the Dodgers' announcer. They include Experiment in Terror, The Party and For Love of the Game.

Ironically, his first wife, who died tragically young, was Joan Crawford. Not that Joan Crawford.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

Rufus T Dowd

Re: Vin Scully Retires

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 12:05 am

That's a record that is going to stand for a while. Just think he started when Joe Dimaggio was still an active player and Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle were in the minors.
Scully was doing the television call of the 1986 World Series. Bill Buckner let a slow groundball go thru his legs. Scully's announces that It gets by Buckner the Mets win. . 30 years later that call still hurts.
Last edited by Rufus T Dowd on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouieD

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm

And this has to do with what?

greta de groat

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Being alive.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat