Vintage Movies on Airwaves Currently

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

telical

Vintage Movies on Airwaves Currently

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 8:53 am

Looks like GetTV has taken a really big hit. Some kind of modern "Curiosity Quest" show, indistinguishable from the cheap stuff you find on cable, is on GetTV at 749 AM when it used to be vintage films, I believe. There are two stations, Comet and Grit TV that show certain genre vintage movies but no drama, just sci fi, horror, westerns, and perhaps military/war films. Then there is the Decades channel which occasional seems to show movies, if I'm not mistaken. I once or twice got Retro but I don't see that as coming up anymore.

Brooksie

Re: Vintage Movies on Airwaves Currently

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 3:22 pm

GetTV have been steadily winding back on classic films over the past few months and gradually introducing a 'classic tv' format, to the extent that they are now almost indistinguishable from MeTV.

When they started phasing out the movie-heavy format and phasing in the focus on TV shows, they repeatedly said it was 'due to audience demand'. The best thing to do would be to drop them a line and let them know that there is an audience for films, particularly when they are (or were) the only way to see a lot of older Columbia films that have had no official release on DVD.

Return to Talking About Broadcasting