Television Parades

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

salus

Television Parades

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 pm

This week is another telecast in New York City of the annual St. Patrick's Day parade which draws millions along the street, I know this parade has been on New York TV since TV began and was on New York radio for decades prior. Whiich parades have the longest runs on American TV, maybe The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or the Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, does anybody know?

Harlowgold

Re: Television Parades

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm

salus wrote:This week is another telecast in New York City of the annual St. Patrick's Day parade which draws millions along the street, I know this parade has been on New York TV since TV began and was on New York radio for decades prior. Whiich parades have the longest runs on American TV, maybe The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or the Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, does anybody know?

Wikipedia says the Rose Parade was the first parade to air in 1947 and it's likely aired every year since.

Incidentally, archive.org has filmed footage of much earlier assorted parades from newsreels and home movies. I just recently watched some gorgeous color footage from the 1941 Mardi Gras in New Orleans at the site (it's fun to see most of the little kids are dressed as either cowboys or 1800's southern belles, probably the movies' influence as much as the region's).

Return to Talking About Broadcasting