John Clarke dead at 68

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

Donald Binks

John Clarke dead at 68

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 4:13 pm

John Clarke, who was originally a New Zealander where he created the comedy character "Fred Dag"; moved to Australia in 1977 and soon entrenched himself firmly in the world of satirical comedy.

He and Brian Dawe teamed up in the early '80's to present a short segment in a commercial network's current affairs programme. They then moved to the ABC where they were a fixture every Thursday.

Although brief, their segment was biting and managed to skewer politicians and other victims relentlessly. Clarke never mimicked his subjects nor tried to look like them. He appeared as himself, yet by virtue of the very clever script - which he co-wrote, he became instantly believable.

John Clarke also ventured into films - "Death in Brunswick" for example and also was memorable for the biting satire of the Olympic Games preparations for Sydney in 2000 by way of the television series "The Games".

His presence will be sadly missed.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

s.w.a.c.

Re: John Clarke dead at 68

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 am

Amazingly, three days before Clarke passed away, the Comedy on Vinyl podcast posted an episode featuring my fave New Zealand comedian/comic actor Rhys Darby paying tribute to Clarke's Fred Dagg Anthology.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme...
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Return to Talking About Broadcasting