Martini (1981)

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

radiotelefonia

Martini (1981)

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 pm

This commercial was produced by McCaan as many of you may know. What it is not well known is that it aired either simultaneously or not in many countries around the world. Seen today, I don't know if it is effective or not. This is not the American version, but the one that aired in Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay. I don't remember exactly when it began to air, but it appeared in a reduction in an Uruguayan tape from 1986.

For legal version, the commercial was minimally altered in Argentina so it can air as a domestic production, lasting a few seconds less. The music is still the same but the work of the announcer was obviously replaced by two guys with an accent from Spain (I didn't find a version from there) and their work is limited to the end, which makes the whole thing to feel as overlong.. the reduction is much better. The last shot was partially modified, being edited differently and it has the addition of Spanish language text.

The leading lady may have become famous, but she was never considered as a star outside the United States and still is basically unknown.

R Michael Pyle

Re: Martini (1981)

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 5:30 am

Is there an American version? 1981 was long before alcoholic beverage ads could be shown on television in the US. I'm not sure who the gal is...

I represented Martini (along with fine wines, etc.) for 46 years. In the States the product is Martini and Rossi.

radiotelefonia

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 11:00 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Is there an American version? 1981 was long before alcoholic beverage ads could be shown on television in the US. I'm not sure who the gal is...

I represented Martini (along with fine wines, etc.) for 46 years. In the States the product is Martini and Rossi.

The gal is Nicollette Sheridan. There is an English language version.

This version seems to be a digital scan featuring information on who made the commercial, but they cropped the image.

R Michael Pyle

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 am

Yeah, that's right. The girl from "Knot's Landing" and "Desperate Housewives". She's from England, and the bottle she's toting around is the European label. Martini and Rossi is simply Martini everywhere but America. They have a rosso (sweet red) and a bianco (or blanco) (extra dry white), and there's another variety, Rubino, if I'm not mistaken; maybe two or three others besides. Still, network television didn't allow liquor ads in 1981, though the other newer come on networks did. Things have changed somewhat...

radiotelefonia

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 1:25 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Yeah, that's right. The girl from "Knot's Landing" and "Desperate Housewives". She's from England, and the bottle she's toting around is the European label. Martini and Rossi is simply Martini everywhere but America. They have a rosso (sweet red) and a bianco (or blanco) (extra dry white), and there's another variety, Rubino, if I'm not mistaken; maybe two or three others besides. Still, network television didn't allow liquor ads in 1981, though the other newer come on networks did. Things have changed somewhat...

In many countries, this ad actually aired in either 1986 or 1987. The version I was able to get first came from Montevideo in 1986 and later I got the complete version from Chile, which they say that it came from 1981 (Chileans upload too many ads, many of them actually from Argentina that also aired there).

Return to Talking About Broadcasting