Panther Girl of the Kongo Serial on Blu-Ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Panther Girl of the Kongo Serial on Blu-Ray

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Just announced from Olive Films and the Amazon pre-order price is just under $13. It's sure to go up in price before release, so get a pre-order in to lock the price.

http://amzn.to/2lpS2zb

R. Cat

Re: Panther Girl of the Kongo Serial on Blu-Ray

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 pm

bigshot wrote:Just announced from Olive Films and the Amazon pre-order price is just under $13. It's sure to go up in price before release, so get a pre-order in to lock the price.

http://amzn.to/2lpS2zb" target="_blank

Good catch, bigshot! I'd noticed this was on Olive's upcoming list several weeks ago, but no Amazon pricing was available at that time. Like the forthcoming Daredevils of The Red Circle (March) and Captain Marvel (June) serials, at least Republic's cliffhangers are finally getting long overdue attention. It's nice seeing a resurgence of interest in these old classics especially since there's a good chance that the archived 35mm elements are in good shape, making them well suited for high resolution transfers.

Professor Echo

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:16 am

Can anyone who has seen this serial recommend it? The reviews on Amazon aren't very helpful (big surprise) without Stanley Kohl weighing in and since I thought FLYING DISC MAN FROM MARS was terrible, I hate to spring for another lousy late in the game serial. Vintage jungle movies/serials can get very bogged down with documentary stock footage of animals on parade and that's something I need to avoid. I know this is a remake of JUNGLE GIRL, which is a fantastic serial, and it retreads footage from that, but what about real life cribbed jungle footage? I want to support serials on Blu, but not at the expense of my valuable free time, which I felt FLYING DISC MAN wasted. :(

bigshot

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:37 am

I don't see how any movie with a girl wrestling alligators and a giant crawfish monster created by a mad scientist can be boring. But I haven't received a copy yet. It's on pre-order for $13. I would say at that price it's worth the risk.

R. Cat

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 pm

bigshot wrote:I don't see how any movie with a girl wrestling alligators and a giant crawfish monster created by a mad scientist can be boring. But I haven't received a copy yet. It's on pre-order for $13. I would say at that price it's worth the risk.

Totally agree!

In fact, to get the ball rolling, It wouldn't be a bad idea buying multiple Blu-Ray editions of early Republic serials ...in particular those from the 30's & 40's... since they're the gold standard for classic sound era cliffhangers. The extra copies would make great birthday/holiday presents for friends and family who appreciate old movies, especially if priced reasonably.

My theory is that better than expected sales might encouarage KINO and Olive to license more serials archived by Republic from good elements.

Alas, I don't expect much in the way of marketing to coincide with these reissued treasures outside of Facebook, review websites and modest circulation collector magazines. Profitability is the driving force in dwindling video markets. Given the fickle nature of streaming old films in a younger market demographic, this is where collectors can make a difference.

Professor Echo

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 am

bigshot wrote:I don't see how any movie with a girl wrestling alligators and a giant crawfish monster created by a mad scientist can be boring. But I haven't received a copy yet. It's on pre-order for $13. I would say at that price it's worth the risk.

The descriptions of FLYING DISC MAN FROM MARS sounded just as...thrilling, but the results were less so as far as my imagination is concerned. Despite the attractive price, I'm going to wait this one out and see what the reviews say. I sure wish they were releasing earlier serials rather than these latter day ones when the format was fading away and ideas were being recycled from earlier, usually superior efforts. At least I have the Blu of CAPTAIN MARVEL from KINO to look forward to.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:56 am

Professor Echo wrote:The descriptions of FLYING DISC MAN FROM MARS sounded just as...thrilling, but the results were less so as far as my imagination is concerned. Despite the attractive price, I'm going to wait this one out and see what the reviews say. I sure wish they were releasing earlier serials rather than these latter day ones when the format was fading away and ideas were being recycled from earlier, usually superior efforts. At least I have the Blu of CAPTAIN MARVEL from KINO to look forward to.

Olive's acquisition team may be operating under the misimpression that later Republic serials are just as desirable to serial fans as earlier serials. Who knows, maybe the shorter overall length of later serials fits single disc BD better. I'm holding onto the hope that Panther Girl will be a hoot. Phyllis Coates was excellent as Lois in the first season of the 50's Superman series and I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with the role.

While I think most Republic's are worth a look, the studio's use of repetitive material (repurposed stock footage & Lydecker FX) increased after 1949. One of the last great Republic serials was King of The Rocketmen, which spawned three sequels that reused too much stock FX footage from the first. For many serial fans, the first Rocketman serial is Republic's last great achievement in the genre.

KINO-Lorber's acquisition of Daredevils of The Red Circle and Adventures of Captain Marvel is the other end of the spectrum. These are among the very best pre-war Republic cliffhangers. If good elements have been archived, there are literally dozens of 30's & 40's Republic serials worthy of high definition transfers. Also, I suspect there's a robust enough fan base to support periodic releases.

bigshot

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 12:15 pm

R. Cat wrote:Olive's acquisition team may be operating under the misimpression that later Republic serials are just as desirable to serial fans as earlier serials.

It probably has more to do with the condition of the elements. At this price, they aren't going to have much budget for digital restoration.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Well, if you want to see more, better serials, $13 seems an awfully good investment in them no matter what. No label responds to lack of sales by thinking "A different title would have done better," they think "No one wants any of these."
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Paul Penna

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:25 pm

R. Cat wrote:Olive's acquisition team may be operating under the misimpression that later Republic serials are just as desirable to serial fans as earlier serials.

Way back when Olive first started licensing things from the Republic library serial fans on the Home Theater Forum started requesting titles from the Olive rep - who now, interestingly enough, is with Kino Lorber and representing them on the HTF. His response at the time was that Olive didn't plan on releasing titles that had seen a lot of bootleg or "gray market" releases.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 3:28 pm

bigshot wrote:It probably has more to do with the condition of the elements. At this price, they aren't going to have much budget for digital restoration.

Not so sure about the first part given the high quality of Republic Home Video releases back in the VHS/laserdisc era (taking into account the limitations of those formats), but I'm sure you're dead-on about the second notion. Those serials with good elements archived would require little restoration work beyond a once over digital clean-up to remove dirt and scratches.

Mike Gebert wrote:Well, if you want to see more, better serials, $13 seems an awfully good investment in them no matter what. No label responds to lack of sales by thinking "A different title would have done better," they think "No one wants any of these."

That's an excellent point. An entirely different value assessment motivates fans in contrast to those assigned the task of moving product.

Occasionally we get lucky and those Involved in selecting and acquiring licensing rights are also savvy about the collecting market being served, but that may be the exception rather than the rule.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Paul Penna wrote:Way back when Olive first started licensing things from the Republic library serial fans on the Home Theater Forum started requesting titles from the Olive rep - who now, interestingly enough, is with Kino Lorber and representing them on the HTF. His response at the time was that Olive didn't plan on releasing titles that had seen a lot of bootleg or "gray market" releases.

I missed a lot of those earlier discussions having been too busy with my own projects to follow them, but I've since become apprised of the fan community's efforts.

There's usually a reason why some titles don't see a lot booting, ...it's because they're often considered stinkers by fans in the collecting community! I'm not suggesting that Panther Girl is a weak serial, but as one of Republic's last efforts I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. That said, $13 is a steal, IMO.

I can understand Olive's original position, but it does seem short sighted. There are a lot of illegal boots and gray market international copies of popular films on DVD available for sale. Most have one thing in common, ...poor to mediocre 3rd & 4th generation dupes or videotape sources.

From my perspective, Olive would've been wiser to take a longer view and focus on the fact that the collecting community they're serving is prone to double and triple dipping just to get the best upgraded copy. That's something bootleggers and international gray market video vendors can't match since they don't have access to the rights holder's archives.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't know, are they prone to double dipping to get the best? I see plenty of commentary on sites devoted to serious film appreciation, including this one, where someone expresses doubts that XYZ could possibly be worth the Criterion price of $39.95 when it's out there for $5, or how great it is that they don't have to buy it because it's going to be free on TCM (or worse, YouTube). At best, I'd say all these things meet a wide range of reactions from fans, and I don't think a company like Olive is really less clued in about this stuff than we are— they certainly have more access to real sales figures than we do.

It's important to remember that our niche is not the same as the big new release part of the market. Our titles are very dependent on our reactions for existing at all. Buy early and often.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Professor Echo

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Well, if you want to see more, better serials, $13 seems an awfully good investment in them no matter what. No label responds to lack of sales by thinking "A different title would have done better," they think "No one wants any of these."

I understand and respect this position, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wait for reviews before committing to a purchase. Your financial situation may be different from mine; as such it may not be prudent for me to blindly send Olive a message one way or the other. I do see your point regarding it though, but my home entertainment interests are varied and I buy much more than just serials, as I'm sure many here do. So while I would love to support the notion that buying "early and often" is the way to facilitate more, perhaps better, releases, not everyone can continually blind buy with such good intentions. I've bought all the serials released on Blu so far and watched one, FLYING DISC MAN, which as I've indicated ad nauseum, I was less than enamored with, so it's not like I haven't sent Olive previous messages. When your interests in film on physical media stretch to over a hundred years of history and you can't light your cigars with $20 bills, one has to be careful once in awhile. :wink:

However, I do love Phyllis Coates, so I may be breaking on this issue. :D

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:52 am

Well, of course, we all do what we can. I'm just pointing out that there's only one piece of data that really tells them there's a market for more of anything, and it costs $13 to send it in this case— pretty cheap next to past markets like laserdiscs or 16mm collecting, at that.

Professor Echo

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

There's a serial reviewer on Amazon named "Stanley Kohl" who writes excellent critiques, not only of the serials themselves, but all their physical media releases. I don't know anything about him, but in case he's also a member here, I wanted to publicly thank him for all the hard work he has done contributing to smart buying choices for serial fans and potential serial fans on Amazon. I was sorry to see he hadn't written anything about PANTHER GIRL as I've come to rely on his expertise for my budding serial collection. It's not easy to find comprehensive information on serials, at least I haven't had much luck with it. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject, something that goes beyond just synopses and cast and crew listings?

R. Cat

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Professor Echo wrote:There's a serial reviewer on Amazon named "Stanley Kohl" who writes excellent critiques, not only of the serials themselves, but all their physical media releases. I don't know anything about him, but in case he's also a member here, I wanted to publicly thank him for all the hard work he has done contributing to smart buying choices for serial fans and potential serial fans on Amazon. I was sorry to see he hadn't written anything about PANTHER GIRL as I've come to rely on his expertise for my budding serial collection. It's not easy to find comprehensive information on serials, at least I haven't had much luck with it. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject, something that goes beyond just synopses and cast and crew listings?

Here are several good reference books on serials...

https://www.amazon.com/be-continued-Ken ... +continued"

https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Years-Seri ... al+thrills"

https://www.amazon.com/Gripping-Chapter ... ie+serials"

I own the first two, and admittedly the focus on cast and synopsis is a primary part of the first book, but it's still an excellent reference source. The second book is more of a scholarly discussion of the subject with fewer images. The third is one I don't own, but a promising book based on reviews. In fact, I'm thinking of adding this to my own library given the favorable reviews.

Finally, the autobiographical book by director William Witney is a fine book if you want to learn more about the Republic serials from someone closely involved in their production...

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Into-Fight- ... 0786422580"

Hope these suggestions help! :)

Professor Echo

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

R. Cat wrote:
Hope these suggestions help! :)

Thank you so much! I will check all of them out.

bigshot

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:08 pm

R. Cat wrote:From my perspective, Olive would've been wiser to take a longer view and focus on the fact that the collecting community they're serving is prone to double and triple dipping just to get the best upgraded copy. That's something bootleggers and international gray market video vendors can't match since they don't have access to the rights holder's archives.

The deal that Olive has with the studios is that they have a guaranteed annual license fee with the studios they represent... most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of $200,000 a year. If they can't sell enough of a title to be able to cover the expenses, plus the portion of the guarantee for that title, they still have to pay all that out of their own pocket. I can totally see how they would prioritize titles where there isn't a lot of gray market competition.

In the case of Captain Marvel, which we all want I would imagine... It has been pretty much consistently available in good quality at a low price since the VHS era. For someone who owns the excellent DVDs, would a blu-ray be worth buying it again? For some people yes, for others no. That means that the market for it isn't strong.

R. Cat

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 4:31 pm

bigshot wrote:The deal that Olive has with the studios is that they have a guaranteed annual license fee with the studios they represent... most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of $200,000 a year. If they can't sell enough of a title to be able to cover the expenses, plus the portion of the guarantee for that title, they still have to pay all that out of their own pocket. I can totally see how they would prioritize titles where there isn't a lot of gray market competition.

In the case of Captain Marvel, which we all want I would imagine... It has been pretty much consistently available in good quality at a low price since the VHS era. For someone who owns the excellent DVDs, would a blu-ray be worth buying it again? For some people yes, for others no. That means that the market for it isn't strong.

To my knowledge, The Adventures of Captain Marvel has never been released in high definition. The officially licensed Lion's Gate DVD (2005) is still only marginally better than earlier VHS/laserdisc transfers due to weak sound and contrast issues. Nevertheless, it's clear that Republic archived 35mm negatives and/or fine grain prints, so restoration and clean-up for a properly balanced high definition transfer and home video release should be minimal. Given the media buzz around the forthcoming big budget SHAZAM! feature film in production, KINO may figure a little piggybacking will boost interest in the serial as well. Kudos to KINO's marketing strategists.

I can't corroborate the licensing fee figures, but I suspect $200,000 is on the high side unless we're talking about some sort of batch licensing deal for a more extended period of time. It's doubtful that any single film or serial over 60 years old would show a profit with a six figure annual fee. My suspicion is that the licensing terms are on some sort of sliding scale, batch leasing or extended well beyond one year. BTW, I think the actual production cost for the Captain Marvel serial was in the neighborhood of $200,000! Of course, that's a very old neighborhood in 1941 dollars.

Daredevils of The Red Circle was apparently licensed at the same time (last summer). KINO-Lorber may be using this as a trial balloon to gauge serial fan-base interest. In response to inquiries, KINO's representative posted something to the effect that there are no current plans to release serials beyond these two. Reading between the lines, that's a standard position to take if testing the waters. Both of these serials are superb choices: Captain Marvel, a well known in-the-works character that fans of the current production might check out, and the lesser known Daredevils... which has been lauded as an inspiration by notable directors of action/adventure films.

If these do well or at least show a marginal profit, the door could open much wider. There are literally dozens of vintage Republic serials that'd be worthy of consideration for HD release provided the 35mm elements in studio archives are in good shape. Who knows, maybe we'll see Kane Richmond in Spy Smasher, Ralph Byrd's four 15 chapter Dick Tracy serials, Rod Cameron's two action-packed wartime serials, etc. I'm confident that there's an untapped audience for The Masked Marvel, The Crimson Ghost, Fighting Devil Dogs, Zorro's Fighting Legion, Manhunt on Mystery Island and many more high definition serial transfers on Blu-ray. The list goes on and on ...!

bigshot

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I got that figure from someone who tried to negotiate a similar sort of deal. The idea is that the studio puts up no money for new transfers, restoration or marketing. The distributor has access to the library as existing transfers, assumes all costs, and guarantees at least $200,000 in license fees each year. If the distributor wants to pay the studio to do new transfers, they will provide the elements, but the distributor has to shoulder all the costs.

And my point wasn't that blu-ray wouldn't be better... It's just that the DVDs were of excellent quality, so convincing people to upgrade wouldn't be as easy as convincing people to buy a classic film that they don't already have a good DVD on.

R. Cat

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 am

bigshot wrote:I got that figure from someone who tried to negotiate a similar sort of deal. The idea is that the studio puts up no money for new transfers, restoration or marketing. The distributor has access to the library as existing transfers, assumes all costs, and guarantees at least $200,000 in license fees each year. If the distributor wants to pay the studio to do new transfers, they will provide the elements, but the distributor has to shoulder all the costs.

And my point wasn't that blu-ray wouldn't be better... It's just that the DVDs were of excellent quality, so convincing people to upgrade wouldn't be as easy as convincing people to buy a classic film that they don't already have a good DVD on.

So, if the distributor has access to the library maybe the license fee is a minimum guaranteed for an unspecified number of titles that the distributor presses, packages and markets over that period of time. The "at least" part suggests the studio may be guaranteed a percentage of profits as well, if I'm reading this right.

The assumption of all expenses would certainly impede the number of releases in a year, especially if high definition transfers are requested. And an annual $200,000 base guarantee with the distributor taking all the risk is still a dice roll. If tied to a single serial that fee would be a real head-scratcher, but it looks a bit more complicated than that.

Thanks for the additional information and correction of my confusion.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 8:34 am

No way that $200,000, whatever it referred to specifically, is per title.

I know that Twilight Time releases 3000 copies of its titles. If retail is $30 that's total sales of $90,000 per title. Of course Twilight Time's revenue is more like 50-60% of that, so whatever it pays to the studio per title could only be on the order of a buck or two per release, in the four figures anyway.

R. Cat

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:No way that $200,000, whatever it referred to specifically, is per title.

I know that Twilight Time releases 3000 copies of its titles. If retail is $30 that's total sales of $90,000 per title. Of course Twilight Time's revenue is more like 50-60% of that, so whatever it pays to the studio per title could only be on the order of a buck or two per release, in the four figures anyway.

These were my thoughts as well. The rights-holder's contract apparently stipulates the distributor shouldering all the production expenses, that means HD mastering, pressing, Amaray case, inserits and marketing costs, including review screeners. That overhead alone probably amounts to thousands of dollars.

The only free publicity would be web discussions and Facebook notices. If licensing is $200,000 minimum then I'll wager there are more available titles included for that fee.

To get a better accounting of the distribution deal bigshot's friend inquired about one has to think through the likely options logically. From my reading, such a high annual fee makes no sense unless it's intended for PPV, network distribution and/or subscription based on-line viewing. For the home video market, setting a high minimum fee per annum would be overly constrictive based on my modest experience with Hollywood contracts. A one time video distribution fee that extends for years with set profit sharing and a sunset clause seems more likely.

Gotta admit, this is a fascinating discussion.

oldposterho

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I'd be surprised it that was an annual fee and not the entire license for a multi-year deal. No 'DVD' distributor would want a short window due to the issues mentioned above, and that rate per year would be a sucker's bet unless they were tying up a huge chunk of the seller's library. Even then, you'd probably just want the titles you could use when you could handle them and not be forced to sit on the ones you couldn't distribute yet.

bigshot

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Look at the companies striking deals to release back catalog the studios aren't interested in releasing themselves... Olive Films, Twilight Time, Kino, etc... Look at the number of titles they release in a year from a particular library package. The studio sets a minimum guarantee for annual license fees to make it worth their while to make a deal. It's up to the distributor to make sure they release enough titles with a price, print run and demand that make it possible for them to cover at least the costs and guarantee plus a small profit. The way they do that is to stick to titles that the studio has already done good quality HD transfers of and stick to titles that haven't saturated the market in DVD releases already. They do a print run, hope for it to sell out quickly, and keep producing new print runs as long as the demand and license holds out.

The reason we see the same HD transfers being released of the same titles in various markets all over the world is because those are the titles that the studio has done HD masters of. A distributor can release it in their territory for only the cost of the license fee and disc mastering, manufacturing and distribution. Those are their bread and butter titles. But Arrow can release the same title and transfer in England, and someone else can do the same thing in Germany or Italy or Japan. The film itself would be basically the same on all of them. Only the extras and packaging would be different.

What I'm trying to explain here is that the labels can't just pick any title to release. They have a lot of overhead to cover. They have to choose titles that can be produced inexpensively and have a strong market demand. As the market for video discs declines, even these sorts of deals become less viable. The studios have already reached the point where it isn't profitable for them to release back catalog themselves. Someday the independent distributors might reach the same point. Then the studios will offer the library to streaming networks with a similar sort of deal and the streaming network will have to choose the best way to cover the guaranteed license fees and costs of distribution. It's all a balancing act.

oldposterho, the way I understand it, the deals are usually for three years, but the guarantee is annual. If they don't meet the minimum license in the first year, the three year deal might fall through and they would have to pull everything. The studios strike a hard bargain. They want to just make money and not assume any risk. Smaller deals are even more draconian... the studios want the license fees for a print run up front, so the distributor has to consider that an up front cost, not a back end payment.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:17 am

Professor Echo

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 3:16 am

In addition to the recommended books about serials posted above by R. CAT, I would like to add this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-American-Serials-Geoff-Mayer/dp/0786477628/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487927386&sr=1-8&keywords=encyclopedia+of+serials

The book itself is very pricey, but the KINDLE edition was just reduced from $49.99 to $29.99 so I picked it up with no rush shipping digital credits I had at Amazon. I was perusing it last night and found it to be enthralling, both an academic and popular look at the subject. :D

R. Cat

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Professor Echo wrote:In addition to the recommended books about serials posted above by R. CAT, I would like to add this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-American-Serials-Geoff-Mayer/dp/0786477628/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487927386&sr=1-8&keywords=encyclopedia+of+serials

The book itself is very pricey, but the KINDLE edition was just reduced from $49.99 to $29.99 so I picked it up with no rush shipping digital credits I had at Amazon. I was perusing it last night and found it to be enthralling, both an academic and popular look at the subject. :D

The higher cover price for the oversized PB version might be because it's an import (the author is Australian and the book may be published there as well). In fact, I don't think the print version is available directly from Amazon yet. The oversized PB may be worth it for those who don't have Kindle or want the larger images.

This is now on my list; big thanks, professor.

I expect Olive's Panther Girl serial to be fun, but great to snag at a cheaper price. Judging from DVDBeaver screenshots, the image is decent, but probably won't be in the same ballpark as the promised 4K master of KINO's pricier Daredevils of The Red Circle. No discounts offered via Amazon below MSRP yet, but this serial's worth the extra bucks and any discounts offered prior to release are automatically passed on to pre-order customers. So yeah, I'm on board! :D

KINO's first rate effort bodes well for a 4K master of Captain Marvel. It's lookin' pretty good for classic serial buffs.

Professor Echo

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 am

An in-depth, objective review of PANTHER GIRL by DVD Savant, which helped sway my decision to pass on this serial. I hope Olive doesn't gauge low potential for serials on Blu based on this release, which seemed to me a bit questionable from the start. This isn't a knock against anyone who wants to support the effort in the hopes it will encourage future serial releases nor those who enjoy this particular one, its reputed shortcomings notwithstanding. I'm still interested to hear from those who did purchase it if they at least had a fun time watching it. :)

https://trailersfromhell.com/panther-girl-of-the-kongo/
Next

Return to Talkie News