KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

IA

Re: KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 3:55 pm

David Alp wrote:Question is, (and please can the Americans help me), where is the best place to physically buy it? Would I be correct in saying that "Barnes & Noble" in SF would be best? But if so, which one? As there appears to be several Barnes & Nobles in SF.

There are no Barnes & Nobles in San Francisco--the last one closed a few years ago. There are several in the east and south bay area, but visiting them might be a chore if you don't have a car (if you're using public transit, the El Cerrito location is located next to the El Cerrito BART station). Plus they might not have KOJ in stock, though you can check using the B&N website.
As Mike G. says, Amoeba is your best bet, but if you want the cheapest price I'd recommend purchasing KOJ from US Amazon (free shipping for orders over $25) and having it shipped to your hotel or the home of a friend. Since you'll be in San Francisco for a week, that should be enough time for the disc to arrive.

Jim Reid

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

There's a chain of stores in Dallas called Movie Trading Company that carries Criterions in both DVD and Blu-Ray.

All Darc

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link
Keep thinking...

David Alp

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. Oh so as I am staying with family I might order it from Amazon US and have it shipped to their house? It's a bit of a cheeky thing to do though? I don't like to do that in case it puts my cousins out, but it might be the best thing? Will they just post it through the letterbox? Is that the norm in the US? They don't do the whole "knocking-and-signing" thing for a blu-ray do they? Cos we will be out for nearly the whole week visiting places etc.

IA

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

David Alp wrote:Thanks guys. Oh so as I am staying with family I might order it from Amazon US and have it shipped to their house?

Yes, since Amazon allows the shipping address to differ from the billing address.

It's a bit of a cheeky thing to do though? I don't like to do that in case it puts my cousins out, but it might be the best thing?

As long as you ask them ahead of time for permission, I don't see why they'd be upset. You can promise them a home screening in return!

Will they just post it through the letterbox? Is that the norm in the US? They don't do the whole "knocking-and-signing" thing for a blu-ray do they?

They'll leave the package by the front door or in the mailbox. No knocking and signing for standard free shipping.

silentfilm

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 am

Jim Reid wrote:There's a chain of stores in Dallas called Movie Trading Company that carries Criterions in both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Here are their locations in the USA.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I would either order it in advance and have it shipped to your friends, or see if Amoeba will sell it to you in advance for pickup.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

David Alp

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks guys; yes I will do that. Order it ahead of my trip, and have it delivered to them. I am going to do the same thing with "I Could Go On Singing" (1963) - a Judy Garland musical available on bluray ONLY in the US from a company called Twilight Time. I've been waiting to that to come to England now for about 2 years, but no joy, so this is my only opportunity it seems since they don't ship to England.

siriami

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 am

David Alp wrote:Thanks guys; yes I will do that. Order it ahead of my trip, and have it delivered to them. I am going to do the same thing with "I Could Go On Singing" (1963) - a Judy Garland musical available on bluray ONLY in the US from a company called Twilight Time. I've been waiting to that to come to England now for about 2 years, but no joy, so this is my only opportunity it seems since they don't ship to England.

Twilight Time blu-rays are available to order from Screen Archives Entertainment:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/

I have ordered a few Twilight Time blu-rays from them and they definitely ship to the UK (I Live in Scotland!)
Hope this is of help?
Alistair

Little Caesar

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm

http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-review/king-of-jazz-blu-ray/the-criterion-collection/1933
Another review with more screen captures to whet our anticipation.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Scott Eckhardt

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am

I went to the Mall of America to the Barnes and Noble to reserve a copy. As the mail arrives late in the day in my building, I find it no hardship to pick it up at the store. I'll have it that much earlier and save the shipping costs to boot! Counting the days now!

BixB

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 am

Does anyone know if Criterion has pre orders shipped ahead so that it arrives on the release day or do they wait and ship on the release date.
Joe Busam

Scott Eckhardt

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:56 pm

BixB wrote:Does anyone know if Criterion has pre orders shipped ahead so that it arrives on the release day or do they wait and ship on the release date.

I couldn't get any info from the Criterion site, but Amazon offers an option for release date pre-order. But it will cost something like $15.00 for their "expediting" the order.

bigshot

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 12:47 am

It's been almost 90 years. How much is one or two days going to matter?

BixB

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 6:37 am

bigshot wrote:It's been almost 90 years. How much is one or two days going to matter?

That doesn't answer my question.
Joe Busam

BixB

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 am

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
BixB wrote:Does anyone know if Criterion has pre orders shipped ahead so that it arrives on the release day or do they wait and ship on the release date.

I couldn't get any info from the Criterion site, but Amazon offers an option for release date pre-order. But it will cost something like $15.00 for their "expediting" the order.

Thanks, Scott. More often than not when I've preordered a title from Amazon, it arrived on the release date without any additional fees. I was just curious about Criterion's policy. I've never placed a pre order from them in the past and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them.
Joe Busam

bigshot

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am

I have a FedEx package coming that I received an email saying it would arrive yesterday. It didn't. It'll probably come today. Best laid plans of mice and men. I wouldn't plan on cutting it too tight. As long as it can be a day or two late, you should be fine.

BixB

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 7:42 am

Just received notice from Criterion that my order is being prepared for shipment. Sounds like we may get our copies on the street date or very close to it.
Joe Busam

Scott Eckhardt

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 am

BixB wrote:Just received notice from Criterion that my order is being prepared for shipment. Sounds like we may get our copies on the street date or very close to it.

Great news! My mail sometimes comes late in the day, so I'll pick up my reserved copy Tuesday morning at Barnes and Noble. Sounds like Criterion will have your copy in your hands Tuesday. I saw the film on the big screen in Oct, 2016, so I know how beautiful the print will be. I've loved this film ever since I saw the vhs tape way back in 1987.

BixB

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 am

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
BixB wrote:Just received notice from Criterion that my order is being prepared for shipment. Sounds like we may get our copies on the street date or very close to it.

Great news! My mail sometimes comes late in the day, so I'll pick up my reserved copy Tuesday morning at Barnes and Noble. Sounds like Criterion will have your copy in your hands Tuesday. I saw the film on the big screen in Oct, 2016, so I know how beautiful the print will be. I've loved this film ever since I saw the vhs tape way back in 1987.

I got to see it twice. Once at the Cleveland Cinematheque and once here in Cincinnati as a benefit for a local broadcast archive. I first saw it a few years before the VHS was released. I managed to get a multi generational VHS bootleg of the so called Mussolini print. It was really hard on the eyes and was in pretty bad shape with jump cuts and missing footage but I was so thrilled as I thought I'd never see it. The MCA VHS release was a drastic improvement but the restoration leaves that one in the dust, too.
Joe Busam

Scott Eckhardt

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 am

I wore out 2 vhs tapes over the years. In 2011, I got a pretty good dvd taken from the tape that slightly amplified the color, so it looked a bit better than the original tape, but, yes, this blu ray will be the ultimate version.

bigshot

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Criterion shipped my copy today

BixB

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 am

Mine as well. Yay!!!
Joe Busam

BixB

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am

Just checked the status of my shipment and according to the USPS, it will arrive tomorrow. We're supposed to get snowed in and it's arrival will certainly make this a weekend to remember.
Joe Busam

radioman

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 3:54 pm

My wait for the BluRay ended today and it was well worth it. The restoration is magnificent, wonderful extras including many photographs that were not in the book, meaningful and intelligent commentary on KOJ's background story and so much more. I'll be watching this over and over for a long time. Prepare for a great treat!

Mike

drednm

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am

Just took a peek at the DVD which arrived today. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS.

Thanks to all involved in this incredible project.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Ray Faiola

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Just ran the whole picture. WOW!! What an astonishing achievement - both the original and the restoration. For me, the emotional highpoint was the "Song of the Dawn" sequence with John Boles. Outstanding lighting and photography in addition to the song and arrangement. The color design - especially for two strip - was wonderful throughout.

Anyone know why they didn't use the trailer on the blu-ray? Condition too rough for Criterion? I would think with all the titling that wouldn't matter.

Anyway, an amazing disc. And am I glad I have David Pierce's outstanding book to go with it!!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Jim Reid

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Mine arrived today. As soon as I put my house back together I'm looking forward to seeing this again.

Confession: I dozed a bit at Cinecon. It wasn't the movie, I tend to do that anyway....

bigshot

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 12:20 am

Astounding! My jaw is on the floor.

drednm

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 6:53 am

Hellooooo, Emma! Helooooo Ella!

The "Happy Feet" number is still my favorite. You can even see the scuffs on the floor under the thundering feet of the chorus dancers.

An oddity is Marion Stadler (birth name) billed as Marion Stattler in the "Ragamuffin Romeo" number yet the few mentions I found in the trades list her as Marion Stadler. Just an error?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News